Turn on thread page Beta

Teenage pregnancies and the benefits system watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    It's their body and as such should do what they feel like, besides I hear that argument for abortion so why not having children? :rolleyes:
    why should they be given our money for their choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomoo2k)
    there really isn't a solution, these girls are stupid and irresponsible but if they are going to have a baby they must get some support. Although the reality is their children are just going to live by their example but you can't predict this and say they deserve no help. The only long-term solution is to ban children under the age of 16 having kids, but that would cause a huge ruckus.
    Technically it is illegal for people under 16 to have kids, as it is illegal for them to have sex.

ReputationRep:
    Vienna, you rule. I tried to find some statistics but couldn't. Probably because I'm lazy.

ReputationRep:
    there really isn't a solution, these girls are stupid and irresponsible but if they are going to have a baby they must get some support. Although the reality is their children are just going to live by their example but you can't predict this and say they deserve no help. The only long-term solution is to ban children under the age of 16 having kids, but that would cause a huge ruckus.
    There's a solution. You make benefits contingent on finishing their education and getting a job. That way, they'll be free to starve to death is they so choose, but they will also be able to live a reasonably comfortable life if they get an education and a job while getting helped out by the government.

ReputationRep:
    Youre looking at it the wrong way around. Neither their parents or themselves take any personal responsibility, so none is passed on to their children etc. Instead they blame the state and society, who they then turn to for help and benefit. This is because the state has offered them a choice of dependence that comes at the price of personal responsibility for ones action. Being dependent, the tax payer then pays to clean the mess up. If you remove the welfare, personal responsibility is induced in the place of dependence. If you cant afford to have a child, you shouldnt have one. If you cant do the time, dont do the crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    why should they be given our money for their choices?
    Because they could say that contraception failed and there's no way to prove it? We waste enough money on other individuals making ill decisions elsewhere in life too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Youre looking at it the wrong way around. Neither their parents or themselves take any personal responsibility, so none is passed on to their children etc. Instead they blame the state and society, who they then turn to for help and benefit. This is because the state has offered them a choice of dependence that comes at the price of personal responsibility for ones action. Being dependent, the tax payer then pays to clean the mess up. If you remove the welfare, personal responsibility is induced in the place of dependence. If you cant afford to have a child, you shouldnt have one. If you cant do the time, dont do the crime.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    If so, do you think that a long-term reduction in the rate would justify some mothers' in the short term being forced to give up their babies?
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Perhaps there should be mandatory abortions for unwed pregnant teens.
    Some mothers being forced to give up their babies? Teenagers being forced to have abortions?

What sort of monsters are you people?

ReputationRep:
    Inequality said:
    Some mothers being forced to gove up their babies? Teenagers being forced to have abortions?

What sort of monsters are you people?
    Nobody here is a monster. These people are just trying to think of a realistic solution to the ever-growing problem of teenagers having children. I would advocate a punishment for the parents of the child who has the baby. We should also makesure that the parents are forced to work.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone thats interested Inequality has moved the debate onto General Chat as he seems scared to debate on the D+D forum. It is under the thread 'Do you find these views disturbing?'

ReputationRep:
    Discrimation seems to be the common tone in this thread. The 'haves' and the 'haves nots'. Put yourself in the position of someone desperate to escape deprivation and what do you have young people doing anything to achieve it - by finding love and affection from the first person of the opposite sex you meet alias usually ending in pregnancy. This is a problem for all and not just the young people who are faced with this dilemma. Chav is a new term recently placed in the english dictionary what does that tell you about the british society today!!

ReputationRep:
    i'm totally against enforced abortion (i am totally against abortion in general, and isn't this reminiscent of China's authorities enforcing their one-child policy?) and against forcing the children to be given up for adoption (isn't this what the catholic church used to do? they'll never live that down), unless of course it is proven that the mother is totally incapable. however, these are pressing questions which must be addressed. i forget who said it, but someone did once say, 'pay the poor to be poor, and indeed they will remain poor'. i think the two biggest contributors to teenage pregnancy are the false confidence contraceptives provide to young teenagers (those who bother to use them) and the state system of benefits. it's clear that 99.9% of teenagers know about condoms, the pill, and other such devices can avoid pregnancy. many choose not to use them for various reasons (it doesn't feel as good) or they get caught up in the heat of the moment and use nothing. secondly with our current system of benefits available, the government is almost paying young girls to become pregnant. it has gone beyond offering basic financial support, to providing a favourable alternative to *oh my gosh* getting a job. those three girls who hit the headlines recently, receive a combined income, soley through state benefits, of £30,000 a year. that is higher than the average wage in this country, and they live in the same household. until we have a system that forces people to take responsability for, and bankroll their own decisions, then teenage pregnancy rates will continue to rise.

ReputationRep:
    instead of discouraging teen pregnancies, we are encouraging it to happen

ReputationRep:
    i don't see why i should pay taxes to help people who are too stupid to use condoms and go on the contraceptive pill. i've never EVER had an occasion where i've thought i've been pregnant because i know how to use contraception - and i wasn't taught at school.

(Original post by Vienna)
    Almost 15 years ago, Bill Clinton was faced with a the same problem - and came up with a startling answer: welfare was not solving the problem: welfare was the problem. It was bankrolling the social failure it was designed to prevent.

Clinton dropped the old idea about cash payments and reoriented welfare on two goals: the institution of marriage and reducing births outside wedlock. To European observers, it seemed like a Christian fundamentalist coup.
    And you should have heard the weeping and cries of woe from the dems in congress, It was a sight to behold.

Clinton won the sweepstakes. Welfare reform, was always a conservative (republican) plank, but on this issue, Clinton yanked the carpet from under Dole and all future republican nominees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    i don't see why i should pay taxes to help people who are too stupid to use condoms and go on the contraceptive pill. i've never EVER had an occasion where i've thought i've been pregnant because i know how to use contraception - and i wasn't taught at school.
    I don't see why I should pay for taxes for some Prime Minister who thought some country had these weapons of mass destruction. We all pay for other people's stupidity some forms or another. How about binge drinkers who consume NHS resources on a Saturday night? Don't forget the police and other emergency services too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    We'll put them all up against a wall and shoot them - how narrow minded is that. Have you ever thought of doing some voluntary work and getting in touch with people. Or is it your parents I hear?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    We also shouldn't forget that the people in these situations are usually people who haven't got the oppportunities we have and who have been brought up in a deprived enviroment in the first place. I like to see you live on 45 pond a week with a new born baby at the age of 16 years. You are not entiltled to housing benfit until the age of 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    We'll put them all up against a wall and shoot them - how narrow minded is that. Have you ever thought of doing some voluntary work and getting in touch with people. Or is it your parents I hear?

:confused:
    Voluntary work? You must be joking. Why should their voluntary work benefit people less fortunate from them? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    Voluntary work? You must be joking. Why should their voluntary work benefit people less fortunate from them? :rolleyes:
    Suggesting that you do voluntary work so that you can begin to understand people before you begin condemning them and making judgements.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.