Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dragoness check your PM's.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to be in a long term commiting relationship for the rest of your life at 15/16. You barely know who you are...and you will change a lot over the next few years being able to tell who you will be happy with for the rest of your life at that age is just madness.
    I would think twice about being engaged in my early twenties....at 15/16 I just can't understand why. I know of a few people that have been engaged that early and none of them have survived more than a year after the engagment.

ReputationRep:
    I know lots of people for exampe my auntie and uncle who got married at 16 :eek: and they r in their 50's and still happy :eek:

ReputationRep:
    no way do u know what u want in life at that point...
    i remember in my old old school there were a few of the chavvy people that got engaged at around 16 coz 'it shows commitment innit'. yeh if u say so. or stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    I mean im not that stupid just wanted to know peoples views thats all, i have my life planned out already (sort of)

ReputationRep:
    15 or 16? That's ridiculous and it basically smacks of immaturity.

Ok, you're in love? If you're in love, and "till death do us part"....whats the rush? If there's alot of confidence in the mutual love, there's no reason why the couple should not wait for another 10 years or so...get married at a financially, socially/whatever appropriate age/stage.

I think the burden on a ring on someone so young, a pressure they don't need nor the family and friends of either couple - they will always be fighting against such impressions...."will they or won't they?" [last that is]...."oh....it'll be over in 5 years".

It's a slippery slope surely....also get married such an age....idea of having kids is propped up early than normal...surely this cannot be good.

15 or 16? Very immature, very stupid, very illogical - in terms of emotion, fragility of the teenage mind, body and soul, in terms of finance, what about education and work.....setting some strong foundations in terms of career before getting married and having a family.

There's only one answer to the initial poster's requirement of opinion
    NO!

ReputationRep:
    Well you could get engaged, but I would personally wait until you're 17/18 at least, even then when you do get engaged I wouldn't get married until you're at least 21. If you can wait till you're 17/18 and then wait to get married at 21 then yeah I'd say that's ok, but like other people say there is probably no financial (or illegitimate child, I hope ) reason to get married then why not wait, if it was meant to be, it will happen sooner or later.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    **** no don't be silly

ReputationRep:
    im engaged and im 17 but we knew we wanted to get engaged at 16 and i know i will be staying with my guy till i die i know its love and i knew then so it depends if u had enough relationships to know who the one is

soph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph2004)
    im engaged and im 17 but we knew we wanted to get engaged at 16 and i know i will be staying with my guy till i die i know its love and i knew then so it depends if u had enough relationships to know who the one is

soph
    Wow, naiveté central.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by soph2004)

soph
    You've known for a year max that you want to get engaged? Why not get engaged at 16 then? How do you know it is love? What do you have to compare it to if you've been with him since 16? You're a little young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Wow, naiveté central.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    You've known for a year max that you want to get engaged? Why not get engaged at 16 then? How do you know it is love? What do you have to compare it to if you've been with him since 16? You're a little young.

no i knew from to first time he touched me there was this powerful connection it was amazing i was scared of it at first the reason why we didnt was cos of my parents they couldnt see how it could be but we have shown them and on my 17 he asked my dad premision and then ask me to get engaged and its now 10 days till we been engaged for a year i know him for 2 years of us together and about 8 before that we have always liked each other but as friends and never wanted to break that but wen something bad happened to me he was the one that saved me and he said from that day on that he couldnt hold his feelings in for me any more.

i ahve been in quite a few relationships that have been serious stuff to me in a way that i have thought of them being the one but now i ahve found the one and he is i know that before was nothing

anyway i got to go cya

sophie

ReputationRep:
    People are sooo daft!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Wow, naiveté central.
    Don't 33-40% of marriages end in divorce? :eek:
    I like to be positive but a bit of realism is required.

As a result of such a horrifying figure, i've therefore never quite appreciated the sentiment "till death do us part" - sentiments grossly undermined in many cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    Don't 33-40% of marriages end in divorce? :eek:
    I like to be positive but a bit of realism is required.

As a result of such a horrifying figure, i've therefore never quite appreciated the sentiment "till death do us part" - sentiments grossly undermined in many cases.
    Something like that. And I believe around 90% of marriages under the age of 20.

ReputationRep:
    I find most of the girls I've known who have got engaged before Uni (or equivalent age)tend to be more clingy, more approval- and attention- seeking - ie everyone gets told more than once about each engagement).

Whilst these traits are obvious with a lot of people in the changes during puberty, some people stick with the "I know all there is to know about life" ideal and try to mould their lives around it. It's not good. Adapting has been crucial since unicellular organisms started out.

Besides, I run from needy girls. You know the drill: "I've just remembered - I promised Dog, my er dog, that I'd floss his teeth this evening ... bye." Ok, so it's not that bad, as needy girls (and guys) tend to already be engaged...

ReputationRep:
    That "amazing powerful connection"......

It loses its way in 33-40% cases....it's quite sad really - love turns sour, to bitterness and hatred in some cases i'm sure.

I think a sensible, conservative approach is best, with myself, i'd be quite happy with co-habitation.....to me a 'ring' has a subjective meaning and definition, some don't need the image/message to direct them, force them, bind them together....perhaps too many marry, and marry too young - attracted by only the glitz and glamour to a marriage ceremony?

I would want to live with a partner for about 4 years minimum before fully committing, and i personally believe 16/17...you know that person well enough to commit? Have you lived in-house with that person, been on holidays with that person....dealt with deaths in the relative families and friends circles, together as a couple? It's far too young - besides teenage years can be a fragile, hormone-raged, attitude changing affair....it's a period of immense change, conflicts with one's own personality, and other's - at such a youthful age, surely someone is too busy figuring out their own lives, motives for existence, then for figuring out a significant other's doings?

15-17? Too young, life has only just begun....'you' now, this minute, will not be the same 'you', even if only a couple of years down the line - young people change alot, make differing transitions in their youth...which is why fragility is not a good base to go off and create something so serious and permanent . very little is permanent about youth. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't, especially if either one of you is planning to go to uni as it can make it difficult. Also, at 15/16 you're lacking a load of life experience. Anyway, why do you need a ring to let each other know you love each other? I just don't think anyone at 16 can be emotionally ready to embark on that agreement that is intended to last forever, even though sadly it often doesn't.

Ha! engaged at 15/16.
    how quaint!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.