Turn on thread page Beta

Are there any good cover versions of songs! watch

ReputationRep:
    I could go ahead with stating all of Garage Inc. but for the mucially challenged here I am going to stick with the well known Metallica version of Whiskey in a Jar, originally by Thin Lizzy. I really live Metallica's twist on this song and the added growl and testosterone added to the song.

Also in Dream Theater's EP, A Change of Seasons, there is a shed load of covers including Queen's Boh. Rap, Genesis's Turn It Up and stuff my Steve Morse (can't remember from which song/band.

As many people have metioned, Muse did a great cover of Feeling Good, and Word to the dudes/dudettes who mentioned Megadeth and Nightwish. You should be proud of your taste in music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    The Sundays' cover of the Rolling Stones' Wild Horses.
    That's such a great cover. That's why I put it at the top of my list of good covers. The singer of the Sundays had such an amazingly beautiful voice that it gave a totally different dimension the song. It's a shame that that's what the band will be remembered for instead of their three albums, as singles like "Here's how the Story goes" and "Summertime" are mostly forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    Although this will probably be a bit obscure for a lot of people, I love all of Mark Kozelek's (of the Red House Painters and Sun Kil Moon) covers of classic AC/DC songs in his two solo albums: What's Next To The Moon and Rock N' Roll Singer. AC/DC were pure hard rock and thrashed it out but they didn't compromise on the lyrics that are probably some of the best lyrics in mainstream rock of the last 30 years: listen to an AC/DC song, it seems rough and unsophisticated but take the lyrics, and they're truly deep. So Mark Kozelek reinterpreted loads of their songs to turn them into mostly melancholic songs and the result is stunning...

He also does some mean covers of some Modest Mouse songs during his concerts: the best being Trucker's Atlas but he also does Never-ending Math Equation and Ocean Breathes Salty.

ReputationRep:
    In Flames did a cover of Pantera's F-ing Hostile
    and Daniel Lioneye did (yet another) cover of Bob Dylan's Knocking On Heaven's Door

ReputationRep:
    I know this is going to be out of place amongst some of the more obscure music people have posted!

But Kylie's version of "your disco needs you" is not only the campest record ever but is also a very good (cheesy) song, and a good version of the original, especially live (she perfromed it on her latest tour). It was meant to be released as a single apparantly, but the record company thought it was too 'camp' and released "please stay" instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    That's such a great cover. That's why I put it at the top of my list of good covers. The singer of the Sundays had such an amazingly beautiful voice that it gave a totally different dimension the song. It's a shame that that's what the band will be remembered for instead of their three albums, as singles like "Here's how the Story goes" and "Summertime" are mostly forgotten.
    I was thinking of getting some of The Sundays' albums - which one(s) would you recommend? I'm afraid I don't know any of their other songs, but would love to hear more... Suggestions most welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    I was thinking of getting some of The Sundays' albums - which one(s) would you recommend? I'm afraid I don't know any of their other songs, but would love to hear more... Suggestions most welcome!
    They released 3 albums if I remember. None which contains "White Horses". To be honest, I think you'd be disappointed by any of their albums if you're expecting anything similar. I think my favourite is "Blind" but I'd have to listen to all the albums again. Plus I don't think I own Static & Silence any longer. "Summertime" off that album is a really nice little cute song.

If you actually end up liking them, give Trespassers William www.trespasserswilliam.com a shot. They're a Californian band that sound so similar to the Sundays, well at least the first albums of the Sundays. They're signed to British label, Bella Union so you'll have no trouble finding their albums.

ReputationRep:
    I've been listening to some old Fleetwood Mac and I remembered two recent covers of their songs:

The Corrs - Dreams, I do like the Corrs' version but not sure if it's much of a good cover. Plus most of the interesting synthesizer stuff isn't by the band.

and

The Dixie Chicks - Landslide, rather rubbish cover as it doesn't add anything to the track. It doesn't even make it sound more updated. I think it's a bit unfair that the Dixie Chicks probably cashed in on this a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    They released 3 albums if I remember. None which contains "White Horses". To be honest, I think you'd be disappointed by any of their albums if you're expecting anything similar. I think my favourite is "Blind" but I'd have to listen to all the albums again. Plus I don't think I own Static & Silence any longer. "Summertime" off that album is a really nice little cute song.

If you actually end up liking them, give Trespassers William www.trespasserswilliam.com a shot. They're a Californian band that sound so similar to the Sundays, well at least the first albums of the Sundays. They're signed to British label, Bella Union so you'll have no trouble finding their albums.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    McFly have covered Pinball Wizard by The Who for their new album :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, please no

ReputationRep:
    William Shatner - Common People is weird

ReputationRep:
    Dammit, most of mine have been mentioned! I'm gonna say 'em anyways!

"Wonderwall" Ryan Adams
    "Time After Time" Eva Cassidy
    "Hallelujah" Rufus Wainwright
    "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" Rufus Wainwright
    "Sacrifice" Sinead O'Connor
    "Big Yellow Taxi" Counting Crows

Wasn't "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" by David Gray a cover? If so that is a truly fantastic one. I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now!

ReputationRep:
    Kurk Cubain- man who sold the world
    Mad World- michael andrews/gary jules

edit: Don't wanna miss a thing- aerosmith

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.