Turn on thread page Beta

Ever getfreaked out by boyfriends/girlfriend talking about the future? watch

ReputationRep:
    Depends who the boyfriend is. With my ex we had the rest of our lives planned out even though we agreed not to even start talking about marriage til I turned 25. It was just an... if we're still together then then this is what will happen

With the current one i'd just laugh... we weren't made to be married

ReputationRep:
    i talk about everything with my boyfriend already...APART from kids..

i mean we always talk about 'one day' and hes told me that hes had dreams about us in the future in our own house etc etc. just proves to me he isnt scared of commitment.

but im always cautious what i say. apart from wen it comes to dogs...im obsessed with dogs and he isnt, and im always asking whould you want one of those, when i see a dog in the street! lol

we still talk although things seem so far away....and we been together one year and 2 months TO THIS DAY! yay its our monthaversary! lol

as for kids though, it never gets menchioned, due to his ex gettin preggers and not telling him (luckily, she didnt have it in the end)

ReputationRep:
    Hehe congrats Cazzi! I've been with mine 1 year 5 months and 4 days! It's really put me off someone if they seemed scared of committment, but yeh I don't want to go over the top and start saying stuff like "so anyway, what do you think we should do when our kids turn 18?" or "if you want to marry me you're gonna have to put up with pink curtains."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kit_Kat)
    Hehe congrats Cazzi! I've been with mine 1 year 5 months and 4 days! It's really put me off someone if they seemed scared of committment, but yeh I don't want to go over the top and start saying stuff like "so anyway, what do you think we should do when our kids turn 18?" or "if you want to marry me you're gonna have to put up with pink curtains."
    lol, yeh..

although i have randomly asked 'do ya like that sofa, would u want it in our house?' lol
    but after i realise what i say and i shut up! lol

boy im gettin way too old!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm one of these control-freak people who has a LOT planned out (including stupid little things like I want a fridge with an ice machine built into the door! don't ask...) and my bf knows a lot of these things, but I tend to avoid saying 'we' in any of it. I reeeally like him so I don't wanna scare him off!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm one of these control-freak people who has a LOT planned out (including stupid little things like I want a fridge with an ice machine built into the door! don't ask...) and my bf knows a lot of these things, but I tend to avoid saying 'we' in any of it. I reeeally like him so I don't wanna scare him off!
    yeh im exactly the same.

although i know i wont scare my boyfriend off, hes used to it by now...bless him!

apparently hes had a dream about us gettin married! now even i havent gone that far!

ReputationRep:
    Lol me neither. Though I do have a slight obsession with planning my wedding. :P

ReputationRep:
    Lol me neither. Though I do have a slight obsession with planning my wedding. :P
    hehe me too

i totally want a gothic wedding!

ReputationRep:
    I always think about my future, stuff like my wedding, children etc, just because it's a nice thought! I sometimes mention them to my boyfriend, just because I'm a think out loud type of person, and despite only having been together 6 months we have named our 4 children (planning for all gender combinations). But it's fine, because although it would be great if we did end up married I'm not considering it right now. In fact, if he seriously mentioned marriage to me I'd run a mile!

I think most people are like this, but especially girls. It's nothing to get freaked out about (unless they 'subtly' leave jewellery brochures/wedding venue leaflets hanging around).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    Kids: yes. Mainly because the thought of being pregnant/having kids makes me feel physically ill.

Dogs: no. I want dogs. and a cottage, and a landrover, but a BMW for the weekends, and he'll commute and...<3
    But I thought you liked the ladies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flashette)
    But I thought you liked the ladies?
    and why can't she like both? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciara)
    and why can't she like both? :rolleyes:
    yeh like me! lol

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it really bothers me, unless its been a scarily short ammount of time. Im a bit of an old romantic so I do like it if they are thinking of being with me a while, planning for the future, talking about love etc. If they started talking about our kids I might get a little more scared...but children scare me generally. If a guy started talking about marriage really early on, I'd be flattered then gently let him know that it was a little too soon. I guess Im the opposite of a commitment phobe. If anything, I have to watch what I say to make sure I dont declare love too early to THEM.
    Im still a little in love with someone from my past, so I wouldnt marry ANYONE right now, except maybe him. To marry someone while loving someone else would be so so wrong, even if I loved them both.

ReputationRep:
    Hey people; my relationship I had with my extreme LDR gf was rather interesting in terms of the future; of course we both singularly relied on the fact that she was coming over soon (soon being relative to the time lol), but I'd barely known her 3 months and she proposed to me! She's done this 3 times since then. It was something I was ok with at first but it did freak/scare me a little because I'm too young to marry and do all that; I haven't even started working yet! It's been rather different to how I imagined getting over her, not only because we'd been having a few problems for a while, and so I was half thinking about breaking up with her for a while, but because today I had an interview for a job; I'm wearing my suit in the library and I haven't thought about her much at all for 3 weeks! When the right person comes along and I've been with them long enough, then will be the time. If they started talking about the future, I'd be honest and say if I wasn't ready for it.

PS The people who are running the LGBT soc, where's my rainbow triangle gone?? I want it back please!

ReputationRep:
    i totally want a gothic wedding!
    So does one of my friends but I'm all for the traditional white wedding in a church!

ReputationRep:
    I cant say i ever freaked out about, i joked with my ex boyf chris about marrige and he always laughed it off, but then he sudden;ly got really serious and started going on about it 'for real'....that was scary i was like 16 and we'd split up about 3 mnths b4 hand.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.