Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get what you're asking. I smoked weed from time to time, wasn't a proper habit, generally to try to calm myself down, but I had a bad experience recently and have got to the stage where I can say "no more, ever". I agree that it's a dangerous and inconsiderate habit - I completely detest cigarettes, and strongly believe that all smoking should be banned in public places. Also, even when I used it I acknowledged that it was stupid and completely not worth the long term health risks, for me at least.

However, it has to be acknowledged that cannabis is not a particularly dangerous drug, there are far worse out there, and I think smoking and alcohol are far bigger evils in today's society. There will always be people that get on their high horse at the first mention of drugs and decide to immediately make judgements about a users life. If they believe drugs are wrong perhaps they should realise that being high and mighty isn't going to help, if anything will just make people more determined to continue taking them. On the other hand, there seem to be some users who are truly ignorant of the risks, defiant in their habit and have an attitude that suggests it's clearly a cool thing to do. That's bad as well. If there's no middle ground here I don't think there will ever be a solution.

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    So many opinions so little time, am I the only person here who regards it neutrally?

It's always important to consider that it is abuse (of any substance) that is really harmful, casual use is more often than not harmless (someone who smokes for a year and stops will eventually flush the tar out of their system for example). I know people who use cannabis and are still normal people, likewise I know somebody that abused it and had a psychotic episode. Apparently even eating too much red meat causes cancer these days.

I'd say I encounter drugs fairly often, I have tried cannabis several times and I enjoyed it, though it did give me horrendous splitting headaches, I have smoked Salvia (a legal drug that can make you halucinate) which I enjoyed, I have eaten magic mushrooms (they taste disgusting) but I didn't have enough to hallucinate perhaps one day I will, I have dusted cocaine off of a worksurface at a friends party cos I didn't want it in my food (the user later complained that he was cold "I don't think its natural cold"), I once had to look after a friend who dropped acid at a party, he had a whale of a time by the looks of things. One of my friends can't eat peanut butter, he ate too much of it once and nearly killed himself (it's not a healthy diet to eat it exclusively).

I don't support the use of certain drugs, ecstacy while it may be fun can kill you for example and heroin is very dangerous (though probably quite pleasurable), but neither do I wish to tell people what they can and can't do. It is their body to use as they wish. I just hope they don't abuse a substance.

So while we can all shout our opinions in one disorganised mess, it is not your place to tell someone else how to live their life, they have to choose for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    i had to do a report about why canibis should be made legal at college, i found loads of facts that it causes no harm and in fact can be helpful in some medical cases.

Doctors are currently allowed to prescribe cocaine, morphine, and methamphetamine, drugs that are much more harmful and addictive than marijuana. According to research, dependence among marijuana users is relatively rare:
    Tobacco 32 %
    Heroin 23 %
    Cocaine 17 %
    Alcohol 15 %
    Marijuana (including hashish) 9 %
    In addition, according to the 1999 Institute of Medicine report some controlled substances that are approved medications produce dependence after long-term use; this, however, is a normal part of patient management and does not generally present undue risk to the patient.

ReputationRep:
    i started smoking weed when i was 12...im 18 now. during that time ive smoked heavily...and maybe it did get in the way of other things i could have accomplished. thing about weed is it not that addictive in the literal sense, i managed to quite for 12 months easily.

just depends on what kind of person you are. some people its not meant for and they dont like it theyre first time and never do it again.most people use it occasionally. sum people LOVE it the first time and never look back.i think the worst thing about it is stopping peoples motivation and drive. on the other hand i dont think its THAT bad and people should be given the choice. the hardest thing about giving up is its been part of my life for a while now..its kinda part of who i am and all the memories of getting high in the past is hard to forget.

just depends where u grew up i suppose. ive done some other drugs but i never really thought they were worth it, or they were just too expensive.shrooms and weed is the way to go.be careful with shrooms though, they'll reveal things about urself that u never knew, and that can be scary...

ReputationRep:
    I did and i thought of :tsr: , but I only saw it on newsround (it was probably everywhere else as well though)

Pretty pictures of how it's especially bad for young people as their brains are still growing (common knowledge really), and considering it's releasing dopamine which is what's causing your brain to function, it's not surprising it's causing mental illness. A boy was talking about how he thought invisible policemen were trying to shoot him and he had voices in his head shouting at him too. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Youths with almost hidden mental issues tend to be good at almost getting into semi-relationships with me. grr

ReputationRep:
    yup, I smoke 'the herb'. Should be legal here....*grumble*Amsterdam*grumb le*

ReputationRep:
    Go to Amsterdam then. Enjoy the Stella. Yucky.

ReputationRep:
    natural marijuana - gd
    modified skunk - bad

and do you know what your getting anyway?
    amsterdam is even thinking of criminalising the green stuff now due to the threat of skunk.

try shroom omelette

(Original post by Xnought)
    just wondered if anyone here smokes cannabis??.. i dont smoke cigs, hate them, but i really do like the herb, a great medicine, especially if used correctly during exams, can really help you calm down/get a good nights sleep.

i dont wish to hear from mis-educated fools (although not your fault, it still annoys me) but if anyone actually uses it to help them in any way
    Did anyone see the BBc documentary about cannabis and mental disease tonight? it was very informative!

ReputationRep:
    My dad's a leading psychiatrist and we've discussed in detail, the dangers of cannabis and he told me his conclusions 'Cannabis will only trigger mental illness in those people, who are pre-disposed'-so you can take the risk if you want. And anyway-makes life nice.

(Original post by Divine89)
    My dad's a leading psychiatrist and we've discussed in detail, the dangers of cannabis and he told me his conclusions 'Cannabis will only trigger mental illness in those people, who are pre-disposed'-so you can take the risk if you want. And anyway-makes life nice.
    What barmy logic you have.
    As no one knows if they are pre-disposed or not (well those with a family history of mental illness will know their predisposition, but those without a family history might still be predisposed) you are literally taking a gamble with your entire life.
    And i mean LIFE.
    Cannabis might not strike you dead like ecstasy, but if it inducesa psycosis in you then the outlook is pretty bleak. A life long mental illness which in many cases will kill you, not to mention the ghastly side effects of the drugs needed to keep it at bay.

ReputationRep:
    ******** it can cause temporary pyschosis, known as cannabis psychosis but this is not chronic and can be treated in one or two months. it can trigger schizophrenia too, but as the others said only those who are predisposed to it through their genetics. and these people would become schizo anyways if u ask me

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.