Turn on thread page Beta

RP Accent Book/Website Recommendation ??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Further to my thread few months ago, to do with learning an RP accent in order to get rid off my miserable Midland accent, since I'm free as a bird now, following my final exams, I wonder if anyone around fancy recommending me with any website or book, which I could find useful.

Perhaps having picture or mere description in a book or any audio/video clip over the Internet that specically deals with showing the way sounds are produced within the Received Pronunciation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    watch lots and lots of old BBC television, pretty soon all of the voices will get stuck in your head

ReputationRep:
    Why did you decide to get rid of your Midlands accent? I would do the same ofcourse but i wanna know your reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Pardon me, but what exactly is a 'RP accent'?

Originally, I thought it meant Role-Playing. Silly, no?

ReputationRep:
    Received Pronunciation. In laymen's terms, it's a 'posh accent.'

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, I would like to have that too.

ReputationRep:
    You can get quite nice ones from ebay now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    Why did you decide to get rid of your Midlands accent? I would do the same ofcourse but i wanna know your reasons.
    Of course, not that I HAVE TO HAVE RP accent, but I've a rather strong regional accent & I presume having a strong regional accent is a bit of a setbeck in getting CERTAIN kinds of jobs & I wouldn't feel quite comfortable in accepting such a situation.

This fact might come as a bit of a shock to some (as it did for me, the very first time, I came across it in a newspaper & also a news article on BBC's website) but I've had a good research done before saying what I said above.

For example, having a strong Liverpudlian accent can be a bit of a setback working on management level for NOT local but national/international company.

ReputationRep:
    i don't really see how having an accent can be a setback for certain kinds of jobs, what matters is what sort of person you are, whether you are right for the job, can you cope and have you got the right skills etc, accent doesn't really have anything to do with it, me 'ansom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scubar)
    i don't really see how having an accent can be a setback for certain kinds of jobs, what matters is what sort of person you are, whether you are right for the job, can you cope and have you got the right skills etc, accent doesn't really have anything to do with it, me 'ansom

accent does have a lot of to with it. i can never see a yorkshire person reading the news on skynews, its the truth though

ReputationRep:
    RP accents tend to make a better first impression.

ReputationRep:
    but that doesn't mean to say they can't do it, i mean, you get welsh people reading the news, irish tv presenters, people from all nations and regions on tv and radio, chances are nobody from yorkshire applied for the job

ReputationRep:
    but never judge a book by its cover, if somebody is inclined to think that you are stupid or something else judging by your accent then perhaps they aren't worth working for

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid but I feel not quite comfortable with agreeing you there, as having strong regional accent would stop you getting job as BBC's newsreader, I'm afraid (imagine someone having strong Scottish accent reading news on BBC) :rolleyes:

Similarly, politician having strong regional accent, could be hilarious, from time to time, if they represent a rather important position.

In the same way, I would laugh on the manager of IBM speaking with Cockney accent :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    politicians with a strong regional accent look at john prescott, if you can bear it

factory owners in yorkshire and places like that used to have strong regional accents, it all depends on the sort of person you are, as to a newsreader job, as long as you can speak clearly and people can understand you then thats whats important

ReputationRep:
    but never judge a book by its cover, if somebody is inclined to think that you are stupid or something else judging by your accent then perhaps they aren't worth working for
    I couldn't agree more with you there, I must say, but then again, my purpose of getting a good grip of RP accent isn't to set an impression on others but merely to increase my chances of getting widely accepted in the job market.

Surely, speaking "innit", after each sentence wouldn't persuade an employer to offer any employee a job of Manager, you see :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know there have been cases of people with strong Bristolian accents being refused from jobs. There have been a couple articles about it in the local paper.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but no but yeah but no but etc...

ReputationRep:
    I do coaching, but you'll have to be pretty well-off to afford it.

ReputationRep:
    politicians with a strong regional accent look at john prescott, if you can bear it

factory owners in yorkshire and places like that used to have strong regional accents, it all depends on the sort of person you are, as to a newsreader job, as long as you can speak clearly and people can understand you then thats whats important
    You can certainly speak CLEARLY, but I fear that won't be enough for Joe Public to understand your "regional sounds" coming out of your mouth.

While working at call centre, it was often not too easy for me to understand customers from Highlands & of course, vice versa

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.