Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iom_cb)
    Hi There

Follow this advice, trust me i have kept fish to 10 years (off and on) and work in a pet shop where it my job to give advice on fish (at the weekends obviously, doing A levels monday to friday).

The tank is turning green for a number of possible reasons:

1. Phospahate Levels - Phosphate is sometimes put in the water supply to line lead pipes, it may be being put in your supply, it feeds alagae therefore the more water changes increase the algae levels. NOTE: The answer to this is to use PhosBan which is a phospate remover. KEEP DOING WATER CHANGES!!!!!

2. Too much light also encourages algae, if there is a light on the bowl then it should not be on for more than 6 hours a day, the tank should not be in a window or conservatory.

3. You may be over feeding it, only a pinch a day, 6 days a week. Leave it a day to help digestion.

DO NOT DO A FULL WATER CHANGE!!!!!

The easiest way to kill a fish is to totally stress it out. New water contains chlorine which needs 24 hours to settle. Do not follow advice to stick it a little tub, leave it in the tank and do small but regular waterchanges.

GET A PROPER TANK AND FILTER SYSTEM!!!!!

You need a filter system, goldfish produce far more waste than most other fish and it a very important piece of equipment. Get an EHEIM one, their good and really quiet.

With a filter system you need only do 20% water changes per week.

ALGAE!!!!!!!

Athough you need to cut the causes of algae (light/phospate/overfeeding) that will not get rid of the algae already in the tank, you may need to treat the tank with an "GREEN ALGAE CONTROL" chemical which will kill it and then literally scrub the tank with a sponge (carefully so not to stress the fish).

DISEASE!!!!

Fins wearing away - This could be "Finrot" - you can get treatment for this from a pet shop.

Loss of Bouyancy - This is "Swimbladder" - you can get treatment for this from a pet shop.

Slowness and general lack of movement - this is nitrate caused by lack of maintenance and no filter system. 50% water change and get a FILTER!!!!

Hope this helps.

Need any further advice feel free to PM me.
    Fabulous thanks!

Although my fish has gotten the best water over the years from a country spring well! Probably why it has survived for so long. This fresh water has thus lower levels of Cl2 and phosphates.
    The fish has been at my window a lot in the bowl and this is probably the main reason for the quick greening on water.

Ill follow your advice!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hilarious how the google ads want to sell me goldfish products at the top of the page.

ReputationRep:
    Fabulous thanks!

Although my fish has gotten the best water over the years from a country spring well! Probably why it has survived for so long. This fresh water has thus lower levels of Cl2 and phosphates.
    The fish has been at my window a lot in the bowl and this is probably the main reason for the quick greening on water.

Ill follow your advice!

Thanks
    No problem, hope your fish gets better.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually have any advice, but I just thought I'd pop in to say that I thought the title of this thread was "Goldfish Dieting?" I thought "WTF?!" I kinda just...went away, trying to decide wether you wanted information on how to put your overweight fish on a diet, or if there was such a thing as a goldfish diet for overweight humans. Hmm. Then I came back and saw that I had just misread.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.