Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My god this is unrepresentative of the general population!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    Totally agree with everything you said!!! :congrats:
    Yes, bravo jd27 :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call myself a smoker, but i do have the 'occasional' cig

I think i know my limits, and if i felt it was getting too much then i'd like to think i'd stop it completely :rolleyes:

It's just when i'm in the right environment, cigs are there, i actually do enjoy it... I like the taste, and it is bloody relaxing..

btw i chose 2nd poll option, as i'm not really a regular smoker...

ReputationRep:
    Never have and seriously never will
    I think almost everyone has lost someone close to them due to cancer, most commonly caused by smoking, why make those arround you suffer the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd27)
    I really don't get that. I don't smoke often (twice a month at most, and only socially), and I'll admit that smoking (especially indoors) can be anti-social. On the other hand, to me it seems ridiculous that people have such a strong emotion about a life choice. Yes, smoking can kill you. Yes you can get addicted. Yes, it's not the best thing for your health. However, it's a personal choice. Why shouldn't someone choose to smoke. The people who say it does nothing at all for you have never smoked, or never done so properly. It's relaxing, it's sociable, it can be very sexy. Disgusting maybe to some, I can think of far worse things that people do to each other everyday and yet you wouldn't make a fuss about. Do people go up to very fat people as they eat and simulate a heart attack? No. Why? That would be ridiculous and, in my view cruel. So why is it perfectly acceptable for someone to cross a large room - or, worse, walk up to you when you're outside - and cough on you. This because the visible toxins from something that's giving you pleasure might, in 50 years time, be one of the contributing factors to lung disease. You think that just because you can't see what comes out of a car's exhaust means that it's not just as bad? Apparently in London there's more pollution in the air everyday than in a year's worth of passive smoke.

My point is this: leave the smokers alone. If they want to quit, they'll come to you for help if you offer it. Smoking doesn't mean you're weak willed anymore than doing anything else that's bad for you does. It's a choice. Ultimately, if you don't have the sense of perspective to see that, then you haven't learnt what living in a society means.
    I don't think non-smokers would give a hoot about smokers and their so-called "sexy" habit if there were no severe health consequences to non-smokers (some with personal health problems like chronic respiratory diseases) around them who have to endure the pungent smoke and odious odour. "Let them die of early death if they so wish to, but don't drag the rest of us with you" speaks of a common view of non-smokers about smokers. Furthermore, it makes virtually everything around a smoker smell like a smoker. I couldn't go around spraying cologne on passersby, so why does a smoker feel they have a right to inflict pain on others they don't even know, leave a nauseating smell on them and ruin their lives with second-hand smoke?

It is exactly this sort of malevolent propaganda espousing how "relaxing", "sociable" and "sexy" smoking is - as is adopted by cigarette companies in their advertisements - which has caused impressionable youths to think it is 'cool' and 'hip' to smoke and eventually venture upon the route of addiction with no return. In developing countries where governments do not actively campaign against the smoking habit have seen millions of young people sign their death warrants in breathtaking ignorance.

Comparing smoking with the other "far worse things that people do to each other everyday" hardly makes your argument more credible though it is a typical argumentative fallacy employed extensively by those who wish to mislead (or worse). It blatantly exposes that you're unable to defend smoking without a reference to things or problems that are far worse and that would make smoking seem like a harmless gratification. To your question about why it is supposedly perfectly acceptable for someone to cough on you, my answer is, it is not acceptable as far as I am concerned.

You bring up an extremely good point about the air pollution problem here, but interestingly, have not gleaned the implication. It is precisely because air pollution is a serious problem now that we hardly need smokers to drive the air pollution index notches up. What happened to social responsibility?

Smoking is indeed one's personal choice and I respect that per se. However when a personal choice encroaches onto the personal space and destroys the freedom of choice of others around you, it is hardly just-a-choice like eating an apple and becomes unacceptable for others who are subjected to it unwillingly.

Leave us alone first, and we'll definitely leave you alone.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'm like a lot of young people, especially thse at uni, I just smoke on occasion. For example when drunk or stressed out by exams. Have been doing that really since I was 16 (am 20 now). Totally respect those who have never tried though!
    Mia xx

ReputationRep:
    cigerettes: cancer sticks!

ReputationRep:
    I smoke, love it too. Don't want to quit, it would be good if it wasnt bad for you, but hey.

ReputationRep:
    Greg me old mucka! never thought Id actually find you around here!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.