Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If it would save students money, do you think having ads in textbooks is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    not if its intrusive

ReputationRep:
    terrible idea. imagine seeing Marlboro ads in the smoking section in your PSHE books

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be that bad if they were on seperate pages, having ads at the bottom of every section of work would really annoy me but if they were on specific pages that i could skip past if i wanted to then fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyoyoshi777)
    If it would save students money, do you think having ads in textbooks is a good idea?
    only if they're at the very beginning or the very back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    only if they're at the very beginning or the very back...
    then they wouldnt be instrusive defeating the point. imagine newspapers with a pullout section with ads u can throw away..

ReputationRep:
    Biology.... the lungs........ cigarette advert..... :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    Biology.... the lungs........ cigarette advert..... :hmmmm:
    u cant assume the worse., look at googles ads, they dont offend or contradict do they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    u cant assume the worse., look at googles ads, they dont offend or contradict do they?
    i was assuming the best actually, maybe by looking at the pictures of the lungs they may say 'yuk! i'm not gonna damage my lungs'. So yes, put ads in textbooks!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    then they wouldnt be instrusive defeating the point. imagine newspapers with a pullout section with ads u can throw away..
    Actually I posted this poll because a publishing company has recently come out with this. The part i dislike is that the textbooks are the same price; the money from ads is going towards some other program and not saving students any money.

And... the ads in this case are actually pullout ads... like flyers. So in their case it shouldn't be too annoying.

Heres think link: Click Here.

ReputationRep:
    Not if for other (relevant) text books. That would be very useful.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    Actually I posted this poll because a publishing company has recently come out with this. The part i dislike is that the textbooks are the same price; the money from ads is going towards some other program and not saving students any money.

And... the ads in this case are actually pullout ads... like flyers. So in their case it shouldn't be too annoying.

Heres think link: Click Here.
    yeh that kinda defeats the point having no savings passed over to students. i would think the ads would be pulled out by students straight away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    Not if for other (relevant) text books. That would be very useful.

Aitch
    yeh probably, most revision guides nowadays have a list of other guides on the back page dont they?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    that'd just be weird... I'd probably but it and then cut all the adverts out, it'd be more annoying than anything and I'm prepared to pay extra to avoid axa sunlife insurance policies

ReputationRep:
    Nope. The purpose of adverts is to sell products. Putting adverts in student books to save students money is a bit ironic.

Motherless Child

ReputationRep:
    To those still against the idea:

How about if these conditions were present:
    1 - The ads are ONLY ever on the front/back inside cover, at the end of chapters (often where white space is found), at the beginning of chapters (often where there's just a giant chapter number), and sometimes a full page add which does not disrupt any of the actual materials in the page.
    2 - Ads also come as pop outs (like flyers) - maybe one in the middle of the book.
    3 - The ads are textbook specific. I realize this cannot work with every subject, but for something like computers or account, it's extremely easy.

If these requirements are met, is there still something wrong with it?

ReputationRep:
    To those still against the idea:

How about if these conditions were present:
    1 - The ads are ONLY ever on the front/back inside cover, at the end of chapters (often where white space is found), at the beginning of chapters (often where there's just a giant chapter number), and sometimes a full page add which does not disrupt any of the actual materials in the page.
    2 - Ads also come as pop outs (like flyers) - maybe one in the middle of the book.
    3 - The ads are textbook specific. I realize this cannot work with every subject, but for something like computers or account, it's extremely easy.

If these requirements are met, is there still something wrong with it?
    yeah i just dont wanna see adverts when I'm trying to revise, i'll pay extra to get rid of them, that popup thing sounds awful

ReputationRep:
    If they were relevant... like how in revision guides they have ads for revision guides for other subjects that kinda thing

ReputationRep:
    Ads can often be a distraction.... one may flick to the back page because they find 'the human heart' too hard to understand. Its not really encouraging people to learn....

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.