Is England a country or a state/province?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
pimpman777
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I always thought the UK was a country, and that England and Scotland were just provinces, am I wrong?
GazzyG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, UK is a Kingdom, comprised of several countries.
Blueglasnost
Report 11 years ago
The UK is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The UK is still considered a country, but its components are NATIONS, they are more or less autonomous since devolution started as of 1997, but are still ruled by the government of Her Gracious Majesty comprising powers over the United Kingdom of Great Britain (England + Wales + Scotland) and Northern Ireland. Let's say that would be puzzling to assert there actually is an English state, while England has never been devolved and is, in effect, ruled and dealt with in Westminster Parliament. Of course, there is a Scottish Parliament (for instance) with considerable rights ranging from education to taxation, but it has no power whatsoever to enact laws or statutes concerning defence or diplomacy. The UK definitely is a country and a state, comprising several nations (which could be called countries in an oversimplification, but are not acknowledged as such by the 'international community').
x_muneeb_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
please do correct me if im wrong but dont people in N.Ireland not want to be part of the UK?
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by x_muneeb_x)
please do correct me if im wrong but dont people in N.Ireland not want to be part of the UK?
Some do, some do not.

Yes OP, the UK is a unitary state of four different countries/nations. The indiidual countries certainly aren't provinces (Ulster is a historical province of Ireland although this includes some of the Republic and doesn't really have anything to do with this discussion....)
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:rolleyes: England is a country.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The word country is a very ambiguous word. It's pretty accepted in British English to call the nations of the UK countries even though they are clearly not the same type of thing as say France, Belgium, USA, China, etc. I think region or nation are better words. Province would be even better if it wasn't for Ireland's traditional provinces (of which NI forms part of one of them).

I think the Scottish parliament website explains it pretty well:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the full name of the country. Scotland is a kingdom within the United Kingdom (UK), and forms part of Britain (the largest island) and Great Britain (which includes the Scottish islands).

As the UK has no written constitution in the usual sense, constitutional terminology is fraught with difficulties of interpretation and it is common usage nowadays to describe the four constituent parts of the UK (Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland) as “countries”.
Whatever you want to call it, England is certainly not a country in the usual sense of the word.
Alex Phelps
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course the UK is a country, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are the four proud provinces of the UK (which can be referred to as Britain). But because Britain has no written constitution England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are often confused as being
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, this thread is super old so I'm closing it now. If you want to continue the conversation, it's best to start a new thread :yy:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (5)
9.62%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (38)
73.08%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (6)
11.54%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (2)
3.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.92%

Watched Threads