Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, i want to do dentistry, but the BDS course is very competitive, so im also thinkning of either pharmacy or chem eng.

which is better in terms of money pharmacy or chem eng??

ReputationRep:
    pharmacy.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do something you enjoy? Both pharmacy and chem eng are good degrees and I assume will lead to good-salary jobs but you gotta pick something you think you'll enjoy doing, even after 20 + years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabzp)
    Why don't you do something you enjoy? Both pharmacy and chem eng are good degrees and I assume will lead to good-salary jobs but you gotta pick something you think you'll enjoy doing, even after 20 + years.
    well, any course will need alot of hard work and dedication. it is just too difficult to settle for second option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by w8wizz)
    it is just too difficult to settle for second option.
    Then try and concentrate on dentistry if that's what you're keen on. If you try and incorporate other subjects into your PS it'll look vague and dental schools want you to be decisive.

[I know you want back-up choices, I had them too, although I paid no attention to them in my PS (I deliberately chose them to be at my top two university choices so that they could see I had applied to dentistry there and got letters from them acknowledging this fact) and I know people who applied to different courses at unis different from where they had applied to do dentistry and still got offers in them.]

ReputationRep:
    In terms of money, pharmacy is pretty well paid. I used to work in a pharmacy and a trsined pharmacist can earn a lot of money per hour for locum work. However, as others have said pick something you enjoy because you're going to be working for a long time!

Is it an option for you to apply to dentistry with it as your only option, and put other options next year, if you don't get in this time? I applied for vet med last year with that as my only option, and fortunately I was accepted but had I not been, I would have put a second choice the following year, in case I was rejected again.

ReputationRep:
    well, it is very unlikely for me to get accepted my GCSE;
    maths, histroy, PE- A*A*A*
    double science- AA
    french- B
    lit, geo, Eng lang- ccc

my grades are very low for dentistry, particularly english language where most universities want B.

Bristol uni told me to resit and get A*, I have only been spaeking english for 6 years, to get A* is impossible.

ReputationRep:
    hi, i want to do dentistry, but the BDS course is very competitive, so im also thinkning of either pharmacy or chem eng.

which is better in terms of money pharmacy or chem eng??

Dentistry.

Why give up before you've even started? Are you a quitter?

ReputationRep:
    well, it is very unlikely for me to get accepted my GCSE;
    maths, histroy, PE- A*A*A*
    double science- AA
    french- B
    lit, geo, Eng lang- ccc

my grades are very low for dentistry, particularly english language where most universities want B.

Bristol uni told me to resit and get A*, I have only been spaeking english for 6 years, to get A* is impossible.
    If you are really keen on dentistry you may need to resit the English. I don't think you'd need an A* for most places, A would be sufficient and some places may (I'm not sure) accept a B.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.