Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i always wanted to do medicine. I've got offers for audiology but i still really want to do medicine.

What are my chances if i do this:
    BSc Audiology - get a 1st/2:1
    A in chemistry, biology, media, physics,
    B in maths

I would have to do chemistry as part time at some point, but i did 3 alevels and an AS this year so i should be fine.

Would it be worth me taking up chemistry next year and apply for medicine as a graduate or should i give up?

I could of applied for medicine this year, but my stupid teachers said i could only do maths physics biology on its own and no chemistry as they fault i couldn't handle it :mad: => which i probably could looking back at it.

They didn't even let me apply for medicine for a 6 year course at cardiff and other places i researched on.

thanks for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    You can get in some unis without the chemistry, and you'll have biology which is good. Also if you apply for one of the 3 unis that do GAMSAT entry exam it doesn't really matter what degree you have.

I say sod your teachers and apply anyway. you've got nothing to lose!

Also,if you haven't started yet, why bother doing audiology if you're not interested? It'll just get you into debt and be a waste of time. Just apply tp med school instead, maybe after doing chemistry A level.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher's an ass.

The simple answer is 'good', I think. From what I've read about GEP,the main problem is that GEP courses enjoy around 25 applicants per place. This shouldn't put you off applying, but at UCL you may want to try and find a saturday job in one of the (many) nearby hospitals. That's what I intend to do if I don't get AAB this year.
    It should inform you about what you're letting yourself in for, allowing you to make an informed decision; something that will hopefully be clear to the panel at interview.

I'm not too sure about you taking chemistry now. If you think you can, then go for it, but whilst you're taking a degree?

ReputationRep:
    25 applicants per place for GEP - that would be nice! Try 40-80 depending on the course,and you might be nearer the truth!

To the original poster - get your grades and reapply next year. Don't risk all on studying medicine as a graduate - it's more competative than applying as a school leaver.

AS chem will probably be fine for most places that ask fo full - e-mail the schools you like the look of, and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised!

Fluffy - graduate, post-doc and 1st year medicial student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    25 applicants per place for GEP - that would be nice! Try 40-80 depending on the course,and you might be nearer the truth!

To the original poster - get your grades and reapply next year. Don't risk all on studying medicine as a graduate - it's more competative than applying as a school leaver.

AS chem will probably be fine for most places that ask fo full - e-mail the schools you like the look of, and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised!

Fluffy - graduate, post-doc and 1st year medicial student
    Fluffy, are you on the GEP or 5 year program?

If you're on the 5 year can I ask why you chose that as its more expensive and obviously takes longer? (you can tell me mind my own business as well!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blates as)
    Fluffy, are you on the GEP or 5 year program?

If you're on the 5 year can I ask why you chose that as its more expensive and obviously takes longer? (you can tell me mind my own business as well!)

5 year. Because I want to be a doctor not a GEP student . I applied to 2 GEPs and 2 5 year courses. One of the GEPs I applied to used randomisation to select candidates for interview rather than accademic ability (QMUL, although they've now changed this), the other (GKT) lost nearly half of it's places as one of it's campuses fell through (went from 40 places to 23), they did offer me a 5 year place though as I only just missed out on one of the 23 places for GEP

The financial difference is not that much (outside of a years earnings as a qualified doctor), many GEP students do not qualify for any bursary as it's means tested, so if you're under 25 it's based on parental income, and over 25 based on your partners income if you're cohabiting.

Being on a 5 year course gives me time to work, and 7-10 hours a week at £15 an hour (plus other consultance work I do on the side), means I clear more money than I would get in bursay on a GEP (currently around the £2,500 mark)...

Also for next year I've been awarded a bursary (which isn;t available to GEP students), so all in all I'm happy. The slower pace of the course means I can have a life, and maintain my relationship (many of my friends who started GEPs this year are no longer in their long term relationships - including the death of one 7 year marriage )

ReputationRep:
    25 applicants per place for GEP - that would be nice! Try 40-80 depending on the course, and you might be nearer the truth!
    19 for 554 places at Bristol. that's 29 to one, which is close enough. Bristol, Swansea and Warwick seem to be alone in this realm of ridiculous (rather than super ridiculous) odds, though. I'm clinging onto the shread of hope that I won't die of a heart attack if I have to reapply in 3 years time, floofy

I'd still resit if possible. 27:1 or 9:1? It's an easy choice. It's all down to whether you can resit. I guess not having taken the subjects in the first place is a pretty good mitigating circumstance :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
    19 for 554 places at Bristol. that's 29 to one, which is close enough.
    They have 554 GEP places at Bristol? WOW!!!

ReputationRep:
    They have 554 GEP places at Bristol? WOW!!!
    I think I'm going dyslexic

554 applicants for 19 places

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going dyslexic

554 applicants for 19 places
    That is really low and the exception rather than the rule.

I think 2005 was the first year they actually advertised the GEP and made selection thru UCAS. It wasn't well advertised.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind doing audiology, but if i have the opportunity to do medicine i really want to take it. I'll email some medical schools soon and see what they say. I wanted to do this:

Apply for a 6 year course/5 year course and have ucl [audiology] as back up and maybe leeds too. Shame my teachers wouldn't let me as sheffield said i could of applied nevermind.

Thanks for your help , appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    I wouldn't mind doing audiology, but if i have the opportunity to do medicine i really want to take it. I'll email some medical schools soon and see what they say. I wanted to do this:

Apply for a 6 year course/5 year course and have ucl [audiology] as back up and maybe leeds too. Shame my teachers wouldn't let me as sheffield said i could of applied nevermind.

Thanks for your help , appreciated.
    Gap and reapply, you'll be a fool not to if medicine is what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    19 for 554 places at Bristol. that's 29 to one, which is close enough. Bristol, Swansea and Warwick seem to be alone in this realm of ridiculous (rather than super ridiculous) odds, though.
    29:1 is low for GEP odds.

QMUL have about 50 applicants per place for GEP (although upto 16 of their own students get the slightly better odds of 2 applicants per reserved place :mad: ).

GKT was 50 per place in the year I applied, which went up to over 80 per place when their Kent campus fell through along with nearly half of their places. SGUL and Nottingham GEPs are reputed to be around 60-70 applicants per place, but if you survive the GAMSAT (5 hour exam) cull, then you're odds are about 3-1.

ReputationRep:
    Is that from people failing or from people sticking pencils up their noses and smashing against the table?

Oh, and can you take the GAMSAT before the year of entry? /curious.

ReputationRep:
    Is that from people failing or from people sticking pencils up their noses and smashing against the table?

Oh, and can you take the GAMSAT before the year of entry? /curious.
    A little bit of both I think.

GAMSAT has a cut off (different for different Unis, but SGUL and Notts GEPs interview as one and have the same cut off). The cut off is designed so they interview 3 people per place roughly. This means the cut off changes from year to year. Your score is valid for 2 years, and you can sit it the year before you need it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.