Turn on thread page Beta

asking for e-mail address watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    My ex asked me for my ICQ number... and he memorised it and repeated it to me the next day. :confused: Weird. He never spoke to me on it though.
    Wow, seems cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyB)
    Wow, seems cool.
    Not really. It was just creepy.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly straightforward to see someone you'd like to chat to on the London Underground, have a little chat, then get off the tube with their email, number and name. It isn't common, but then again I never did like sheep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feelthesunshine)
    It's perfectly straightforward to see someone you'd like to chat to on the London Underground, have a little chat, then get off the tube with their email, number and name. It isn't common, but then again I never did like sheep.
    UNDERGROUND yes, nooo on a warm day with the newspapers....and a breeze.....

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't have a mobile and NTL never got around to connecting the phone in my room at Uni. I have little choice.

(Original post by red_roadkill)
    Asking for someones e-mail address just makes you look like a geek. Ask for their mobile number - if they don't know it, give them yours.
    exactly
    girls like confidence.
    Ask for their number, and always ask them out by a phone call, not a text.
    have some balls!

ReputationRep:
    Text - avoids the use of speech
    - may remove nerves
    - nicht so gut though really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    exactly
    girls like confidence.
    Ask for their number, and always ask them out by a phone call, not a text.
    have some balls!
    Exactly!

I thought this thread was only about useful ways to communicate. I'd only ask people out in person. E-mail is there for brief chatting / clarifying details.

ReputationRep:
    Hello again!.I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback.Indeed, asking for an e-mail address is a bit "wussy" but I suppose this characterisation is not so inappropriate for me in the end .I will just ask for her number and if she makes any weird grins and hesitates I will start (in a very languid manner though :P) proposing alternatives : e-mail,icq,msn,facsimile etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Sometimes they might not even have an e-mail address :s: but yeah I see your point people do exchange e-mail addys more often than phone numbers (at least where I am)
    umm which 2 of you negged repped me for that and left no message?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Email. Cos then you can get to know them on msn. And it doesn't cost you. And like you said it's just... easier and nicer

ReputationRep:
    If they don't have an email address, bust their balls about it.

Sexual tension is the best - as well as tension in your abseiling safety rope when you need it!

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with email? I'd much rather communicate using email and instant messenger than texting. Texting drives me insane. Email is just more...sensible! Most people our age have email now anyway. I wouldn't think someone was a geek for using email at all. It's nice to talk on the phone too. I don't see how emails are "geeky" because nearly everyone uses them, so common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayjayjay)
    Text - avoids the use of speech
    - may remove nerves
    - nicht so gut though really

texting means having a conversation through a large number of texts which can cost quite alot, with a phone call you can have that conversation in one go without waiting for replys etc and would cost less..

ReputationRep:
    Never just give them yours. Simply say bye and leave.

If you're an average TSR girl, attractive in her own way, happy and intelligent, and a guy approaches you, has a nice little confident chat, then says bye and leaves, it'd make you feel a little excited.

For a guy to approach, talk to, and leave a girl without demonstrating any hidden agenda, especially in a bar setting is very powerful. Try it.

Just don't stalk her afterwards. :rolleyes:
    hehe that is if the guy is fit and/or cute :p: I probably wouldn't think twice about it though personally.

Email address - depends if you know her! If a stranger came up to me and asked for my mobile I'd say no. I'd say no even if it was just my email address - or I'd give him my gmail, which I never use But if the guy had chatted with me for a bit and we were hanging out for a bit during the day, sorta "starting to be friends" then yeh I'll give him my email addy and/or number although I wouldn't think it was anything other than purely friendship. I'd much rather go out with a guy who is also already my good friend - someone I already trust and know I have at least a bit of feeling for.

Depends on how the guy had approached really.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the people involved... personally I have a lot of guys from school's email- It's sort of in our culture to just get everyones for practical and/or popularity purposes i guess! So doesn't look like a 'come-on' to me.
    Asking for my mobile number on the other hand, even from a guy i'm mates with looks like a come-on (seeing as this rarely happens to me) :rolleyes:
    It must be impractical to give a random stranger an email address?! Whereas you can just add a new number on your phone (which presumably you have with you.)
    If you want to get to know them on msn then meet, you'll probably find you have better msn convo's than in real life--> you can get to know them on a deeper level, but it's not *real*, its nice but doesn't constitute a relationship imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    Depends on the people involved... personally I have a lot of guys from school's email- It's sort of in our culture to just get everyones for practical and/or popularity purposes i guess! So doesn't look like a 'come-on' to me.
    Asking for my mobile number on the other hand, even from a guy i'm mates with looks like a come-on (seeing as this rarely happens to me) :rolleyes:
    It must be impractical to give a random stranger an email address?! Whereas you can just add a new number on your phone (which presumably you have with you.)
    If you want to get to know them on msn then meet, you'll probably find you have better msn convo's than in real life--> you can get to know them on a deeper level, but it's not *real*, its nice but doesn't constitute a relationship imo.
    You can get a very serious relationship solely on MSN - however it's not the same and not nearly as good as one in person. And if I was looking to have a relationship with someone I'd wanna hang out in person, not simply online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    You can get a very serious relationship solely on MSN - however it's not the same and not nearly as good as one in person. And if I was looking to have a relationship with someone I'd wanna hang out in person, not simply online.
    been there done that, meeting up after can be a disapointment.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Just not in my current case. C'est brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (however, he was a stoner :rolleyes: )
    Yes. Just not in my current case. C'est brilliant
    good for you

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.