Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread Watch

ReputationRep:
    bristol is about 4000 applicants to 200 places. Just as competitive as BSMS in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    I wondered if anyone else would pick up on that lol. Don't you study in Manchester? Forgive me if I got the wrong idea, not sure where I even got it from just thought you did.
    It did seem rather a ridiculous response.

No I'm going to be studying at Oxford, so I'm probably not the best person to talk to you about PBL. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figure-it-out)
    Thought about glasgow? not sure what it's like but my friend's there atm doing medicine and loving it! He got modest gcse results but straight A's at A levels and loads of work experience. his offer was only AAB too, without interview! worth a look? How about southampton? that's campus and is a gooden =]
    I'm considering soton but I'm put off by the only PS and apparently random distribution of offers. I don't want to apply to Glasgow as I don't want to live so far up north, so Scottish unis are more or less out for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I am on your to rep list. :teeth:

Although apparently you repped me only three days ago (for this rather lengthy post). :p:
    ohh that's what I repped you for! Yeah, that guy was annoying me and spouting all kinds of rubbish, so it was nice to see him actually shut up for once :p: and the next one is for calming my BMAT nerves :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It did seem rather a ridiculous response.

No I'm going to be studying at Oxford, so I'm probably not the best person to talk to you about PBL. :p:
    Lol yeah, you're probably right on that. Congrats on getting into Oxford anyway mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadWarrior)
    ohh that's what I repped you for! Yeah, that guy was annoying me and spouting all kinds of rubbish, so it was nice to see him actually shut up for once :p: and the next one is for calming my BMAT nerves :rolleyes:
    He never responded to my post. :sad: I've never argued with someone so convincingly before that they just left.

Ah right, I see. Well you might have trouble finding a post of mine in 25 days, I don't plan to be using this site still then. :p:

Lol yeah, you're probably right on that. Congrats on getting into Oxford anyway mate.
    Thanks. :top2:

In order to keep this thread vaguely on track, here's Degausser to talk about BSMS:

(Original post by Degausser)
    OHAI

ReputationRep:
    You called?

Choose BSMS, you'll live by the seaside and be at the joint first medical school for Student satisfaction :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You called?

Choose BSMS, you'll live by the seaside and be at the joint first medical school for Student satisfaction :cool:
    Since I was unable to go to the open day, what sort of things do they look for in their PS/Application process? Is there anything glaringly obviously about my application that might set me back there?

Otherwise I'm up to BSMS, Leeds and Leicester for choices.

ReputationRep:
    He never responded to my post. :sad: I've never argued with someone so convincingly before that they just left.

Ah right, I see. Well you might have trouble finding a post of mine in 25 days, I don't plan to be using this site still then. :p:
    haha congratulations You'll never be able to quit When does uni start for you?

ReputationRep:
    Since I was unable to go to the open day, what sort of things do they look for in their PS/Application process? Is there anything glaringly obviously about my application that might set me back there?

Otherwise I'm up to BSMS, Leeds and Leicester for choices.

Personality, realistic attitudes, how you deal with stress, whether you have a lifelong ambition to learn etc.

Personality is a big one, so be sure your personal statement doesn't sound like a robot spouting out what you think they want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    You called?

Here is an example of a perfectly balanced answer :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You called?

You should do adverts with a tagline like that. :p:

haha congratulations You'll never be able to quit When does uni start for you?
    Well I imagine I'll be too busy at Uni to devote much time for the internet - dare say I'll be back on in December though when I get bored. I start on the 5th October.

ReputationRep:
    Here is an example of a perfectly balanced answer :rolleyes:
    Sorry, I forgot to add that the small year sizes make teaching more personal and thus better

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I forgot to add that the small year sizes make teaching more personal and thus better
    haha you've persuaded me! :woo: BSMS ftw :gah:

ReputationRep:
    Well I imagine I'll be too busy at Uni to devote much time for the internet - dare say I'll be back on in December though when I get bored. I start on the 5th October.
    Medicine at Oxford? pfffft you'll have plenty of free time :rolleyes: dam right you'll be back :yep: grrr all you freshers are making me very jealous :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    Small hey?

I think Oxford has about 170 students in a year, around 5 per college and tutorials with on average 2 per tutor.

Your move.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine at Oxford? pfffft you'll have plenty of free time :rolleyes: dam right you'll be back :yep: grrr all you freshers are making me very jealous :hmpf:
    My free time shall be spent with cider, sports and fancy dress. :ninja:

Ha, I know what it feels like. With a bit of luck you'll be excitedly getting ready to leave home in a year's time.

ReputationRep:
    Small hey?

I think Oxford has about 170 students in a year, around 5 per college and tutorials with on average 2 per tutor.

Your move.
    138 students :proud:. I don't know how big tutorials are though.

(Original post by Randdom)
    attention grab
    Sorry How big are tutorials if you don't mind me asking? :p:

ReputationRep:
    138 students :proud:. I don't know how big tutorials are though.
    Darn, that is small.
    • PS Helper

(Original post by lostphotobooth)
    Bristol are GCSE whores from what I have heard so am not sure that is a wise choice? Though, someone else might be more useful with regards to Bristol as I don't know much about them :pinch:

Leeds and Leicester should be okay for you. Last year, a friend of mine got offers from both and her GCSEs weren't as good as yours, and neither were her AS Levels.

If your UKCAT goes well, maybe consider Newcastle? IIRC, their course has PBL as well as an integrated curriculum.
    I don't think Bristol is GCSE whores

I have 4A* 3A 2B (and 3C's and short course rs A*)

know someone else on here with similar... act fewer A* etc.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: August 21, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.