Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i knw this depends on uni to uni but roughly hw many hrs of lectures etc would u get in a week? do u get a reasonable amount of free time?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing dentistry (at Sheffield) and we had about 20 hrs in the first semester and that dwindled down to around 8 in the second semester. My medic friends in the first year aways seemed to have less! Seriously they had Mondays off and didn't even have any exams in January - and the exams they had in the summer finished wayyyyy before ours! So it really felt like they were getting the easy life but I'm told it'll get harder for them next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabzp)
    I'm doing dentistry (at Sheffield) and we had about 20 hrs in the first semester and that dwindled down to around 8 in the second semester. My medic friends in the first year aways seemed to have less! Seriously they had Mondays off and didn't even have any exams in January - and the exams they had in the summer finished wayyyyy before ours! So it really felt like they were getting the easy life but I'm told it'll get harder for them next year!
    what grades did u have in GCSE and A level. I heard that Dentistry at sheffield is most difficult to get into, apparently
    "60 applications for each place" true??????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by w8wizz)
    "60 applications for each place" true??????
    No way!

Ummm last year I think they had around 750 applicants for 60 places, that's about 12 applicants per place. We had almost 70 in our year anyway cos they can't decline you if it's you're first choice and you get the grades, pass the check/CRB check etc. There's 85 places this year, in take is generally increasing in all dental schools. I think the aim here is for an intake of 100 in some years.

About Sheffield being the hardest to get into, personal opinion really - it was one my of easiest interviews. I dunno if it's harder now though.

P.s Sorry for hijacking the medicine thread!

ReputationRep:
    We have about 14 contact hours a week, plus 7 hours of medicine in society on top of that every other week.

ReputationRep:
    Are the above PBL or lecture based course hours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    Are the above PBL or lecture based course hours?
    I'm on a part-PBL course, so add about 10 hours a week for PBL self directed learning (2 PBLs a week).

ReputationRep:
    Bristol Uni - If i remember correctly the first term was quite horrific for us. Mondays were 9-5, Tuesdays 9-6 (because we had clinical placements in Thornbury which is about 30mins - 45mins out - depending on traffic!) Wednesdays were pretty full as well - had the afternoon off for 'sports' tho... Thursdays i believe were quite busy as well - anatomy in the morning and a practical in the afternoon and Fridays were pretty busy as well, if i remember correctly it came to about 22-26 hours a week - that's without any work outside of the practicals or anatomy sessions! However 2nd term wasn't so bad, felt like there was a great deal more 'free' time and third term - goodness that just went! Thing with Bristol also is you have your exams after the holidays - I think their logic is that it gives you more time to look over your work. The downside to this however is the only truly free time you have is the weekend straight away after your block of exams. Then you're straight back into lectures!

Apart from that it's a good course and I've really enjoyed my first year!
    Apologies for über long post!

Results tomorrow!!!
    ARGH!
    Daf
    xx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.