The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Motherless Child
Not sure if there has been a topic about this already, but what do you think to parents facing jail time due to their kids bunking off school?

Is it fair? Is it right?

I think it's a bit of a moral dilema too....

Are the parents really to blame?

Motherless Child

don't know about jailtime....but parents should be punished to some extent for it.....
Reply 2
But some kids really are totally out of control and don't respect their parents at all. Is it the parents fault that their children don't respect them?

Why should parents be punished for:

(a) there being a law which states their children must attend school?
(b) something they haven't done (in the sense that it's their children who have wronged the system, not that the parents have not inflicted respect and obedience on children) ?

Motherless Child
The parents should get fined for their kids' truancy. Technically, the fine would fall on the child but the parents would probably end up paying it.

Some truants are rather...anti-social...so they deserve to be fined.
jiggaman7
don't know about jailtime....but parents should be punished to some extent for it.....

my evil sod of a little brother just ripped my family off for several thousand and tried to flee the area (having been summoned in court for car theft).
He did this whilst wagging from school. Should my mother be punished for this?
Reply 5
Motherless Child
But some kids really are totally out of control and don't respect their parents at all. Is it the parents fault that their children don't respect them?

Why should parents be punished for:

(a) there being a law which states their children must attend school?
(b) something they haven't done (in the sense that it's their children who have wronged the system, not that the parents have not inflicted respect and obedience on children) ?

Motherless Child

because it is the legal guardians duty to take care of the child.....however bad some children get you have to be very lenient to allow your child to get to the stage where he wont listen to what you say knowing full well that you could be fined heavily.....

...having said that im sure there are a minority of children who just are out of control however they are brought up theres even instances of some families having 2-3 "normal" kids if you were and then one is out of control(happens in one of my mates houses where his brother just sleeps and smokes all day and nobody can get through to him)
Reply 6
Is your mother to blame / responsible?

Motherless Child
Reply 7
foolfarian
my evil sod of a little brother just ripped my family off for several thousand and tried to flee the area (having been summoned in court for car theft).
He did this whilst wagging from school. Should my mother be punished for this?

just posted something that kind of answers that below this.......

.....obviously she shouldn't be punished for that but why is it that he is willing to betray his own parents and not listen to any of you whilst you are becoming a doctor at a respectable university
Motherless Child
Is your mother to blame / responsible?

Motherless Child

That depends. A cursory glance at the case can tell us whether it is a case of bad parenting, peer pressure or a mental disorder.

A fine in all cases apart from the latter would be appropiate, I think. Make it £30-50.
Reply 9
Will
That depends. A cursory glance at the case can tell us whether it is a case of bad parenting, peer pressure or a mental disorder.

A fine in all cases apart from the latter would be appropiate, I think. Make it £30-50.

Everycase should be analysed individually to ensure fairness, but the resources are not there.

And often, (I don't want to generalise, sorry if it comes across like this) truants are from homes where money is a serious issue. A lot of the UK is living in poverty (not compared to the 3rd world), and many families can't afford petty fines.

Is this making things worse for everyone concerned?

Motherless Child
I understand that money would be an issue, but the household must suffer the consequences of having a truant child.

If a fine isn't your thing, then they could be permanently expelled from the school system and helped to find a job.

I apologise if I'm coming across as right wing here - it's just that I think people who don't want to be educated shouldn't be educated.

Schools don't teach; the children learn.
Motherless Child
Not sure if there has been a topic about this already, but what do you think to parents facing jail time due to their kids bunking off school?

Is it fair? Is it right?

I think it's a bit of a moral dilema too....

Are the parents really to blame?

Motherless Child

What if the parent's don't know.. I mean most people I know who have done this kinda thing, they're parents done have a clue and if they HAD then they'd go down hard on them. If the parent's are assisting then yeah possibly, but alot of the time they don't even know so I don't see how they can be responsible to that effect.
Reply 12
HearTheThunder
What if the parent's don't know.. I mean most people I know who have done this kinda thing, they're parents done have a clue and if they HAD then they'd go down hard on them. If the parent's are assisting then yeah possibly, but alot of the time they don't even know so I don't see how they can be responsible to that effect.

because isn't it their job to know what their child is up to.....i mean i knwo you should allow freedom but allowing a 11 year old onto the streets until 11.00pm/midnight in chav clothes....u must think there is something a little wrong.
Reply 13
jiggaman7
because it is the legal guardians duty to take care of the child.....

So...in this case...it makes it the schools fault when students leave school to truant? So...why dont you put fines on the school when the kids bunk off?
an even better suggestion in my opinion, would be community service - a kid skips an hour of school, he gets 10 hours of community service...so 1 day skipping school would cost them 2/3 weekends - wouldn't that be effective?
I dont think we should go as far as american schools for having police guarded schools, but this would definately be a preventitative method.
jiggaman7
because isn't it their job to know what their child is up to.....i mean i knwo you should allow freedom but allowing a 11 year old onto the streets until 11.00pm/midnight in chav clothes....u must think there is something a little wrong.

yeah but there's a difference between letting them out at 11 at night and this... all the parents know is "right, they left for school 30 mins ago, they should be there, i think i can trust them", and then they get on with their lives until they come home in their uniform looking like theyve been at school - surely parents can't keep an eye on their kids 24/7.. I mean what are we gonna have private detectives making sure they ACTUALLY go to school when they leave the house in the morning?
Reply 15
HearTheThunder
I mean what are we gonna have private detectives making sure they ACTUALLY go to school when they leave the house in the morning?

i dont know if you thought about this...but schools take a "register" at the beginning of the day - so they can tell without a private detective where there kid is (or rather isn't).
I thought most schools phoned home when pupils don't turn up?

If that was compulsory, then we solve one of the problems.
bikerx23
i dont know if you thought about this...but schools take a "register" at the beginning of the day - so they can tell without a private detective where there kid is (or rather isn't).

yeah well most people can forge notes, the teachers are too busy to check them even if they do look a bit dodgy, and at my school if you "forget" a note several times they will just put it down as unauthorized and that will be the end of it... one little red dot in the register is as far as it goes where i am
Reply 18
HearTheThunder
yeah but there's a difference between letting them out at 11 at night and this... all the parents know is "right, they left for school 30 mins ago, they should be there, i think i can trust them", and then they get on with their lives until they come home in their uniform looking like theyve been at school - surely parents can't keep an eye on their kids 24/7.. I mean what are we gonna have private detectives making sure they ACTUALLY go to school when they leave the house in the morning?

no but after the first time it happens it shouldnt happen again.....my parents have raised me to respect them and when i used to get bllked then i listened or face consequences of another bollobking and my dear possessions being taken away and not being allowed out etc
jiggaman7
no but after the first time it happens it shouldnt happen again.....my parents have raised me to respect them and when i used to get bllked then i listened or face consequences of another bollobking and my dear possessions being taken away and not being allowed out etc

yeah i see your point but unfortunately a lot of people don't respect their parents either for the point of rebelling, or the parents are too lenient