The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
HearTheThunder
yeah well most people can forge notes, the teachers are too busy to check them even if they do look a bit dodgy, and at my school if you "forget" a note several times they will just put it down as unauthorized and that will be the end of it... one little red dot in the register is as far as it goes where i am

Ah, fair enough...maybe with the birth of the internet they could make a website where you get emailed every time your kid skips school, or have stats on class performance, attendance, etc.etc.
bikerx23
Ah, fair enough...maybe with the birth of the internet they could make a website where you get emailed every time your kid skips school, or have stats on class performance, attendance, etc.etc.

yeah or as will said phone them up... just the parents who are in league with their kids are the problem, not sure of a solution for that
Reply 22
HearTheThunder
yeah i see your point but unfortunately a lot of people don't respect their parents either for the point of rebelling, or the parents are too lenient

well then it lies in the parents hands then...either be less lenient or get the blame for truency....although i admit it is hard to know what your child is doing or how lenient to be....but tht is kinda the job of a young childs parent
Reply 23
Yea...i know what you mean...but you could have some sort of wonderfully comprehensive site where you could get all the test results, and also individual class attendance - as this does not always get compared to overall attendance.
jiggaman7
well then it lies in the parents hands then...either be less lenient or get the blame for truency....although i admit it is hard to know what your child is doing or how lenient to be....but tht is kinda the job of a young childs parent

yeah.. i read this weird article once saying that 1 in 4 truant with their parents assistance :s:
HearTheThunder
yeah.. i read this weird article once saying that 1 in 4 truant with their parents assistance :s:

Then the parents are equally at fault and need to be punished also.
Will
Then the parents are equally at fault and need to be punished also.

yeah it's just making sure the law can distinguish between who is responsible
Reply 27
I think that the parents have a major influence on the way that a child behaves. If a parent lets their child go out late, swear, and does not discipline the child then the child will behave badly. Too many times there are cases when the parent does not take responsibility for their child's actions often saying things like 'they have nothing else to do. The reality is that if you have a child you have to take responsibility and makesure that the child abides by the law ie: attends school. Therefore, the parents should be punished if a child continually avoids school. I also believe that the parent should be punished if a child commits other offenses.
Reply 28
But what if the bad influence of friends outweighs the good influence of parents?

Motherless Child
Reply 29
Someone at my school lives a 10/15 minute walk away from the school. She refused to go on numerous occasions because her mum wouldn't drive her. She claims it's her mums fault she didn't go. Now ok some people said that its the mums responsibilty to get her daughter to school but shes not a baby anymore. It's her choice whether she goes to school or not, and why should the parents be punished for that? Besides, if people don't go to school, it's their problem in the end when they don't have a good education and can't get a good job.
jiggaman7
just posted something that kind of answers that below this.......

.....obviously she shouldn't be punished for that but why is it that he is willing to betray his own parents and not listen to any of you whilst you are becoming a doctor at a respectable university

I think thats perfect proof of why the parents shouldn't be blamed! It's clear that the mother hasn't completely messed up the raising of children, due to what you have gone on to do at uni and therefore, surely the law should take into account the fact that some people are just born with different natures. Some people will never conform to what they're supposed to do.
Reply 31
I'm a strong believer in nurture over nature so I do believe that in many cases, 'rents make their kids what they are. I don't think that prison helps the sitch in any way tho as punishing the rents aint gonna help their control over their kids. Rather I think rents should be given a mandatory family councelling or one of those 'little angels' sessions to help them learn how to control their kids.
Reply 32
I think parents need to be taught a small lesson too.., otherwise when they lack their children will lack too..., then guess what? the childs in trouble and the authorites look at thier parents why they hadnt been very stringent.
Reply 33
I think the probs with a lot of parents in regards to controlling their kids is that they literally don't know how to do it effectively. By teaching them how to it solves that probs and if they then refuse to they could be punished as they are obviously a waste of space and need to be taught a lesson! lol
For a minute I misread this thread as Truanting: Kill the parents? which seemed strange.

I think it should be judged individually, some parents don't know what's going on, while some kids I knew had parents that allowed truanting, meaning there was little the teachers could do to punish them.
Reply 35
I think it's the parent’s responsibility to teach their child the basic mortals of life, and if they don’t have the ability to educate their child, why did they give birth to them in the first place? Before people want any children, they really should think extremely carefully what they are ought to do as a parent and if whether they could take on this life-long ‘project’ of bring up a physically healthy as well as mentally healthy child.

Latest

Trending

Trending