Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of Political Correctness? watch

ReputationRep:
    This thread was prompted by this development:
    "Now Brazil is making its first forays into changing this. Last year the government quietly issued an 87-page document entitled "Political Correctness and Human Rights," which listed 96 words and phrases it hopes will eventually become unacceptable."

Politically Correct words often develop to replace terms that are seen as offensive to a particluar group in society.
    The left tends to argue that language affects how you think of people, and by using new "correct" terms, the subjects will not be offended.
    Critics of PC argue instead, that PC is restricting freedom of speech and often that it does not work.
    PC terms have also lead to joke coinages in schools, and some argue that it is hiding discrimination.

(Original post by Wikipedia)
    The changing of terminology as a result of political correctness, for example "visually impaired" rather than "blind", has led to accusations that those who follow political correctness are ushering in the era of Newspeak, a bowdlerized form of English predicted by George Orwell in his novel Nineteen Eighty-Four which eliminates any words that might conceivably have meanings against the state.

Some critics allege that the "PC programme" is an Orwellian attempt to make "bad" or "incorrect" thought difficult. The allegation is that the theory goes far beyond the replacement of derogatory terms with value neutral terms and instead addresses the very labelling and grouping of people. Critics of "PC" argue it intends to achieve a form of mind control
    lol, here is a post from a member earlier regarding political correctness, which is a good example of the joke coinages i am referring to:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Baa Baa Black Sheep... hmm no too black
    Baa Baa Green Sheep... hmm, not fair to people who live in cities
    Baa Baa Purple Sheep... no no, its prejudice against people who bruise easily
    Baa Baa Red Sheep... hmm no too communist
    Baa Baa Sheep... no its offensive to sheep
    Baa Baa... hmm no offensive to people with a stutter
    Baa... no too random sounds like a symptom of tourettes

There are a few important questions which need to be asked about Political Correctness. These would include:
    Does it actually work?
    Is it just another way to restrict your freedom of speech?
    Does it mask prejudice, by hiding it, and pretending it doesn't exist? Or does it focus on differences too much, and simply highlight the differences between people?
    Who decides what is and is not politically correct?

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of Political Correctness?

its a load of shoite to be blunt.

i'll use words black or retarded if i like.
    african american? mentally challenged? what crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    What do you think of Political Correctness?

its a load of shoite to be blunt.

i'll use words black or retarded if i like.
    african american? mentally challenged? what crap.
    ur a ****** then simple as..............

....PC should just be restricted to politeness and respectful use of language like disabled rather than *******/retarded but it shouldnt go as far as say baa baa black sheep..nope cant say black

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggaman7)
    ur a ****** then simple as..............

....PC should just be restricted to politeness and respectful use of language like disabled rather than *******/retarded but it shouldnt go as far as say baa baa black sheep..nope cant say black
    words like retarded are perfectly valid and have a more appropriate and accurate meaning that stuff like "challenged".

its just the "lets get in a tizzy brigade" that have a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    words like retarded are perfectly valid and have a more appropriate and accurate meaning that stuff like "challenged".

its just the "lets get in a tizzy brigade" that have a problem with it.
    no words like retarded are now used as common insults and so no longer valid and wtf is a tizzy brigade

ReputationRep:
    A long time ago, PC was called 'politeness.' You chose to be polite or not, and suffered the social consequences for being impolite.

I don't really like having enforced politeness, but the alternative is increased instability and animosity between ethnic groups (well, really white Britons vs everyone else).

I know which I'd choose. I was firmly anti-PC (Thanks a lot, Daily Mail) until I took English Language for AS level, then I realised that it is necessary in today's society.

I still use the word 'black,' because it cannot be racist, simple descriptor as it is.

ReputationRep:
    no words like retarded are now used as common insults and so no longer valid and wtf is a tizzy brigade
    yes, some people use it as an insult. many words are used as insults too. best not call anyone gay now for example, that would never be on :rolleyes:

wise up

ReputationRep:
    yes, some people use it as an insult. many words are used as insults too. best not call anyone gay now for example, that would never be on :rolleyes:

wise up
    some ppl use it as an insult......how many ppl do u hear saying.

the retarded entrance is over there.......
    ....think about it does it sound right to you

ReputationRep:
    some ppl use it as an insult......how many ppl do u hear saying.

the retarded entrance is over there.......
    ....think about it does it sound right to you
    Hmm, yeah, but I think that if there were gay entrances to clubs and whatnot, then they would be called 'gay entrances.' It's an insult yet it's a perfectly socially acceptable term for a gay person...

There's some double-standards going on here perhaps.

wise up
    see we know that it is a medical word, just like gay means happy, but when someone says 'you're such a ******/tard' they mean it as an insult' Thats sooo gay' they means thats absurd and 'you are such a spacker' no, they don't mean you have ******* paresis, they mean you are an idiot, a pratt etc etc.

THose i thin should be stopped.

But changing blind to 'visually impaired', disabled to 'less able bodied' etc is just utterly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will)
    A long time ago, PC was called 'politeness.' You chose to be polite or not, and suffered the social consequences for being impolite.

I don't really like having enforced politeness, but the alternative is increased instability and animosity between ethnic groups (well, really white Britons vs everyone else).

I know which I'd choose. I was firmly anti-PC (Thanks a lot, Daily Mail) until I took English Language for AS level, then I realised that it is necessary in today's society.

I still use the word 'black,' because it cannot be racist, simple descriptor as it is.
    "Now Brazil is making its first forays into changing this. Last year the government quietly issued an 87-page document entitled "Political Correctness and Human Rights," which listed 96 words and phrases it hopes will eventually become unacceptable."

Would you consider this to be simply encouraging politeness?

It appears to be enforcing social pubishment upon people who use language freely.
    What if you don't know one of the words you use is categorised as politically incorrect?

And don't you think that by using these "nice" words, you are simple pretending there is nothing wrong, and that there is no discrimination that exists?

I read that issues surrounding Political correctness are about to be banned from discussion in Parliament. Surely by using such terms, you are behaving as though the discrimination that exists (eg. a woman in the workplace) is simply non-existent?
    Surely language should be used to express what people feel.

It also defends the people who hold prejudice, because it is hidden behind this PC blanket. Perhaps if prejudice was out there, and open to discussion, we would be able to find out who the 'offenders' are, and do something about it.

(Original post by Will)
    Hmm, yeah, but I think that if there were gay entrances to clubs and whatnot, then they would be called 'gay entrances.' It's an insult yet it's a perfectly socially acceptable term for a gay person...

the problem is this
    PC nonsense takes no account of CONTEXT.
    thus 'you're gay' to a gay person means 'you are homosexual'
    'you're gay' to someone hom you know is straight often means 'you are such a douche etc'

Context is the key in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will)

well it depends once gay is a term that is only used as an insult....like "poof" is there are no poof entrances or dyke entrances to clubs?
    PC should be used sensibly and using commen sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    the problem is this
    PC nonsense takes no account of CONTEXT.
    thus 'you're gay' to a gay person means 'you are homosexual'
    'you're gay' to someone hom you know is straight often means 'you are such a douche etc'

Context is the key in my mind.
    Good point there about context.

A problem arises when you say 'You're so GAY!' to someone who is gay but you don't know it, and mean it as the mild insulting form. In this case, it becomes more than mildly insulting.

No real point to this post, just another example of context. >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)

Would you consider this to be simply encouraging politeness?

It appears to be enforcing social pubishment upon people who use language freely.
    What if you don't know one of the words you use is categorised as politically incorrect?

And don't you think that by using these "nice" words, you are simple pretending there is nothing wrong, and that there is no discrimination that exists?

I read that issues surrounding Political correctness are about to be banned from discussion in Parliament. Surely by using such terms, you are behaving as though the discrimination that exists (eg. a woman in the workplace) is simply non-existent?
    Surely language should be used to express what people feel.

It also defends the people who hold prejudice, because it is hidden behind this PC blanket. Perhaps if prejudice was out there, and open to discussion, we would be able to find out who the 'offenders' are, and do something about it.
    Yes, PCness isn't going to eliminate prejudice, but it does reduce open verbal violence between groups.

When saying certain words becomes a crime, then I will openly oppose PCness. But by then it will probably be too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will)
    I'm still an anti-PC Mail reader. Thankfully I survived all the feminism, and bieng subtly propagandised into reading irrelevant Noam Chomsky political novels (apparently, it would boost my grade if I quoted them in my essays - propagandistic, cronyist, communist *******s ).

One thing I got my head around is why the old "things can't be thought if there isn't a word for it" theory is abandoned by linguists because it's demeaning to endangered-language tribes who only know 200 words (they must understand Quantum Physics, even if they can't talk about it - all cultures are equal), yet are all too happy to dictate what words can be spoken, in the hope their brand of Newspeak would wipe out racism, sexism and whatever other evil inequalities they think they can see from the top of their Ivory Tower this week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will)
    Yes, PCness isn't going to eliminate prejudice, but it does reduce open verbal violence between groups.

When saying certain words becomes a crime, then I will openly oppose PCness. But by then it will probably be too late.
    Exactly, and the situation in Brazil is a perfect example of such. Language should develop freely, and people should not be restricted in the language at their disposal.

No matter what word you replace an "incorrect" term with, the new term will in most cases inherit the stigma attached, and it will be used in a similar way, with similar effect anyway.

I have heard people say things like "haha midget! Oh no, sorry youre vertically challenged!". In these sitauations there is not only the discrimination still prevalent, but the subject is also made into a joke, and the victim is automatically associated with the notion of Political Correctness.

ReputationRep:
    Note how most people in this country currently show prejudice towards a group dubbed "chav", who they feel better than. The prejudice is based upon belief they have inferior culture, inferior genes, inferior wallets. Very similar to the justifications of racism, don't you think?

I suspect the real reason that racism is less now is because those "wogs" and "*******" are now peers, not servants. Not because some bureaucrat clicked his fingers.

A newspaper columnist here in the States was fired for using the word "niggardly" in one of his editorials.....tough to believe, but true.

A "bald garbage collector" is now a "follicley challenged sanitary engineer"

And of course, an "illegal alien" is an "undocumented worker"

The question is.....How do these PC terms find there way to the public? Who pushes these terms on us?.........Is it the right wing academiacs, the ultra right wing main stream media.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    The question is.....How do these PC terms find there way to the public? Who pushes these terms on us?
    Obviously people with considerable influence and numbers in academy, media and political positions. Obvious too that we're talking about people who think it's very important to eliminate ethnic identification among white males, while encouraging vocal ethnic chauvinism among certain minorities.

Are we talking about the same band of brothers who brought us The Frankfurt School? I rather think we are...

Quote from link: In conclusion, America today is in the throws of the greatest and direst transformation in its history. We are becoming an ideological state, a country with an official state ideology enforced by the power of the state. In "hate crimes" we now have people serving jail sentences for political thoughts. And the Congress is now moving to expand that category ever further. Affirmative action is part of it. The terror against anyone who dissents from Political Correctness on campus is part of it. It’s exactly what we have seen happen in Russia, in Germany, in Italy, in China, and now it’s coming here. And we don’t recognize it because we call it Political Correctness and laugh it off. My message today is that it’s not funny, it’s here, it’s growing and it will eventually destroy, as it seeks to destroy, everything that we have ever defined as our freedom and our culture.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.