A "bald garbage collector" is now a "follicley challenged sanitary engineer"
Refuse Collection Technician apparently... :P
jiggaman7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Douglas)
A newspaper columnist here in the States was fired for using the word "niggardly" in one of his editorials.....tough to believe, but true.

And of course, an "illegal alien" is an "undocumented worker"

The question is.....How do these PC terms find there way to the public? Who pushes these terms on us?.........Is it the right wing academiacs, the ultra right wing main stream media.?
illegal alien.......who tf uses that anyway.

and "niggardly" is harsh seeing as it has no racial connotations and is actually a word
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if anything i say pc makes it worse.... say changing brainstorms to mind maps for example. a teacher in cmy college suffers from brainstorms and finds that every one now being forced to use mind map in schools and such is alot more insulting because is bring attentions to people who douldn't give a crap and who were enjoying not having the questions.

if thats makes any sense..
Scheherazade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
if anything i say pc makes it worse.... say changing brainstorms to mind maps for example. a teacher in cmy college suffers from brainstorms and finds that every one now being forced to use mind map in schools and such is alot more insulting because is bring attentions to people who douldn't give a crap and who were enjoying not having the questions.

if thats makes any sense..
I wondered why they stopped saying 'brainstorm'!
Anyway on the whole PC issue i think a lot of people who complain about political correctness just want to use insulting terms. But i also agree with whoever said that pc is just being polite, and there shouldn't be a law against being rude. Things like banning 'blackboard' just make a mockery of what is actually a valid point. At the end of the day it's a group of guilty white middle-class liberals trying to ease their consciences by changing words when what really needs to be addressed is attitudes.
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it all depends on a mutual understanding of a word/s, used in a mutual understanding of a context. I sometimes indulge in some banter with a closed circle of friends....calling each other "nigz" sometimes...its banter, but never would we call each other, refer to each other, in a public place where we could offend someone. In our private context, we use it in banter....it sounds more of a cool word, not because it has racist connatations - what seems to be a racist word, isn't always, if you know what i mean - it's loosely flung around like the word 'gay' meaning err...... rubbish, i.e. "this new San Andreas game is really gay [poor]". Im kidding, the games cool.

What im saying...there has to be alot of careful consideration with regards to words, a mutual understanding of a word, in what context, where and when and how, are all important. None of my friends, and myself are racist....it's banter, perhaps very immature mind you. Trouble could be...you fling these words around, i.e. chink/s/ies, nigz, niger....and in an occasion where you'd never contemplate using the word, spur of the moment, the word just flies from your mouth - and it may well offend people.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Douglas)
A newspaper columnist here in the States was fired for using the word "niggardly" in one of his editorials.....tough to believe, but true.

And of course, an "illegal alien" is an "undocumented worker"

The question is.....How do these PC terms find there way to the public? Who pushes these terms on us?.........Is it the right wing academiacs, the ultra right wing main stream media.?
you would blame it as ever on the left.
we're responsbile for 'original sin' you know :rolleyes:

We had a black american lass over for her elective, and during a round she heard me say 'He's negroid so I'd give him losertan rather than an ACE inhibitor'. She spent the next 5 mins ranting about racism and discrimination in britain before the consultant politely took her to one side and told her that negroid was the anthropological race to which the gentleman belonged, and that the drugs used on white people (ACE inhibs) don't work on black...

That shut her up.
[note this was a surprising occurence because generally american med students are big big anuses who know it all -literally]
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's all about knowing when to stop isn't it? PC is like respraying a knackered old banger and calling it sports car. Forcing people to observed some artificial conventions in the use of language does not achieve what we really want to acheive by politcal correctness, namely, encouraging people to respect others and themselves and treat people as social equals. To be honest it's a bit like dodging the bullet to me.
JonD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
We had a black american lass over for her elective, and during a round she heard me say 'He's negroid so I'd give him losertan rather than an ACE inhibitor'. She spent the next 5 mins ranting about racism and discrimination in britain before the consultant politely took her to one side and told her that negroid was the anthropological race to which the gentleman belonged, and that the drugs used on white people (ACE inhibs) don't work on black...

That shut her up.
[note this was a surprising occurence because generally american med students are big big anuses who know it all -literally]
Good story. It's a shame some people feel victimized, I wonder if she was scarred by prior experience.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JonD)
Good story. It's a shame some people feel victimized, I wonder if she was scarred by prior experience.
god knows, people banging on about racial equality can at times annoy me when they cloud the issue.
Yes we are all EQUAL morally, and broadly 'underneath the colour of our skin' but we are not 'THE SAME'.
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
People on the right use these VERY FEW examples of ectreme PC to berate it as a whole. They want to go back to the days where paki, ****** and chink were acceptable.
Alexdel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
80% of all this supposedly pc terms are made up by people who think being polite is something challenging and it limits their freedom of speech.
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Alexdel)
80% of all this supposedly pc terms are made up by people who think being polite is something challenging and it limits their freedom of speech.
yeah exactly, besides we don't really have freedom of speech in this country, I'm not saying we have the thought police exactly but we can't say certain words, we have to ban certain things... it's ridiculous. I mean if you ask the supposedly "offended" group, most will say that they're not offended by these terms and take it lightly. Most of the time it's just the politicians doing the offense-taking for the minorities...
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've even heard some stuff about banning chalk/salt because it's white, and changing "blackboard" to "chalkboard"...

also brainstorm is apparently offensive to the <pc> mentally challenged </pc>
GreenMonstrosity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Good idea to have a little consideration for others in our society, so long as it doesn't impinge on the rights of others. If you want it abolished you are likely one of those people who feel that "the right to freely insult others" is an "inalienable right". If you disapprove of PC then do you disapprove of euphemisms? They do serve the same purpose after all.
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chiron)
Good idea to have a little consideration for others in our society, so long as it doesn't impinge on the rights of others. If you want it abolished you are likely one of those people who feel that "the right to freely insult others" is an "inalienable right". If you disapprove of PC then do you disapprove of euphemisms? They do serve the same purpose after all.
I dissaprove of PC, I approve of politeness... as for euphemisms, they're used in which feelings are universal (i.e. everyone feels depressed when someone dies) so a dulled term would be appropriate there, but when a word MIGHT JUST MAYBE IMPLY by some obscure stretch of the imagination that you are being offensive.. that's just ridiculous, and so I don't think they're really the same...
JonD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Anyone remember the Union Black?
Alexdel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HearTheThunder)
yeah exactly, besides we don't really have freedom of speech in this country, I'm not saying we have the thought police exactly but we can't say certain words, we have to ban certain things... it's ridiculous. I mean if you ask the supposedly "offended" group, most will say that they're not offended by these terms and take it lightly. Most of the time it's just the politicians doing the offense-taking for the minorities...
I dont think you understood what I was saying, which was the complete oppossite of your opinion .
Alexdel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JonD)
Anyone remember the Union Black?
I quite like it ..
Alexdel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I liked this comment

'The idea is fine in principle but the design is all wrong. As far as I can see the blue and red people of this country as still massively over represented. Perhaps we could use a system of proportional representation and update the flag at each census. '

hehe
Douglas
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jiggaman7)
illegal alien.......who tf uses that anyway.
I do.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise