Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    I dont think you understood what I was saying, which was the complete oppossite of your opinion .
    then what were you trying to convey... I did have to read your post several times to try and get the gist of it :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    'The idea is fine in principle but the design is all wrong. As far as I can see the blue and red people of this country as still massively over represented. Perhaps we could use a system of proportional representation and update the flag at each census. '
    Ha!

(Original post by foolfarian)
    She spent the next 5 mins ranting about racism and discrimination in britain before the consultant politely took her to one side and told her that negroid was the anthropological race to which the gentleman belonged,
    These are good examples of PC gone haywire. I think that even the most liberal amongst us can cite examples of extreme PC'ism. ........The question is, through what institutions is extreme PC's being promulgated?.....????

ReputationRep:
    Taking down Christmas trees because they offend muslims is not politeness it's lunacy. If this was a tolerant society we wouldn't need political correctness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)

A "bald garbage collector" is now a "follicley challenged sanitary engineer"
    A typical example of exaggeration by PC-phobes. The polite, 'PC', way of saying that would be 'refuse collector', which I think is a perfectly reasonable job title. Why would you need to mention his baldness?

ReputationRep:
    I liked this comment

'The idea is fine in principle but the design is all wrong. As far as I can see the blue and red people of this country as still massively over represented. Perhaps we could use a system of proportional representation and update the flag at each census. '

hehe
    Priceless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Anyone remember the Union Black?
    I'm not sure if I'd actually suggest going ahead with that but its certainly nothing to laugh at. There wouldn't be a need for it if our flag hadn't been hijacked by racist groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)

And of course, an "illegal alien" is an "undocumented worker"
    People use the term 'alien' as a purposefully emotive word to arouse a feeling of mistrust for foreign people. For decent, objective discussion, I find 'illegal immigrant' to be a far better description.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    People use the term 'alien' as a purposefully emotive word to arouse a feeling of mistrust for foreign people. For decent, objective discussion, I find 'illegal immigrant' to be a far better description.
    In America alien is a legally sanctioned word that can apply equally to legal aliens and illegal aliens. It merely means someone that isn't American.

My green card has for example an "A" number, or "alien registration number".

ReputationRep:
    I think PC'ness is really gay.

ReputationRep:
    An immigrant, by definition, is someone who is granted immigrant status by a government. One cannot be an illegal immigrant for the simple reason that this person doesn't have permission to immigrate. Since "alien" refers to all non-Americans living in the US, "illegal alien" is the best way to describe illegals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    An immigrant, by definition, is someone who is granted immigrant status by a government. One cannot be an illegal immigrant for the simple reason that this person doesn't have permission to immigrate. Since "alien" refers to all non-Americans living in the US, "illegal alien" is the best way to describe illegals.
    Well if thats the legal definition, ok. But I still wouldn't use the term 'alien' for that purpose in conversation, personally.

ReputationRep:
    Well if thats the legal definition, ok. But I still wouldn't use the term 'alien' for that purpose in conversation, personally.
    Why not? The word "alien" referred to non-citizens long before it started being used to refer to beings from other planets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Why not? The word "alien" referred to non-citizens long before it started being used to refer to beings from other planets.
    I find it has negative connotations nowadays, in the same way that the Union Jack does, but shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    I find it has negative connotations nowadays, in the same way that the Union Jack does, but shouldn't.
    Should we stop using any words that have negative connotations?

The polite, 'PC', way of saying that would be 'refuse collector', which I think is a perfectly reasonable job title.
    A word is only a word, the meaning of which is conjured in the mind. 10 years from now, the word 'refuse' will be contrued as a dirty word, synonymous with 'filth', thus, the PC folks will change the term to the more polite 'garbage collector'......get the idea?

ReputationRep:
    I was LMFAO at something someone told me the other day.
    Basically I know a guy who likes his politcal correctness and started chastizing me for using the word "blackmail". Apparntly it's not PC to use the word black in a negative connotation such as blackmail and black-market etc. So I asked him to find me a person who used the word blackmail with the intent of invalidating black people in someway. He said there wouldn't be any because people have got used to using the word without any thought to the connotations. Ok, so I then ask me to find me one black person who would be offended by the use of the work "black" in blackmail. Again, no one could be found.
    Even though he could find no one who intended to use the word negativly, and also could find no black person affronted by such use of the word, he still maintained I shouldn't say it!

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand some people. What's wrong with saying mentall challenged/disabled instead of retarded? Is it hard to say Asian or Pakistani instead of Paki? These things are perfectly legitimate.

The small examples of black board, white board, thought shower instead of brainstorm etc are really insignificant to our daily lives. Daily Mail conservatives sit there and make things like this seem important so that we end up paranoid and fearful of people who are different.

ReputationRep:
    thought shower instead of brainstorm
    LOLOLOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    I really don't understand some people. What's wrong with saying mentall challenged/disabled instead of retarded? Is it hard to say Asian or Pakistani instead of Paki? These things are perfectly legitimate.

The small examples of black board, white board, thought shower instead of brainstorm etc are really insignificant to our daily lives. Daily Mail conservatives sit there and make things like this seem important so that we end up paranoid and fearful of people who are different.
    100% agreement

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.