Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    I really don't understand some people. What's wrong with saying mentall challenged/disabled instead of retarded? Is it hard to say Asian or Pakistani instead of Paki? These things are perfectly legitimate.
    1) Why? The new word will attract the same stigma through time. and It is just hiding discrimination, pretending it doesn't exist.

2) How are we supposed to keep up with the new terms? I would freely use the word ******, but i would not mean offence by it.
    How are people supoposed to know what is thought of by some as offensive?

ReputationRep:
    "re tard" is censored!!! Why?!?! It is neither a taboo term, or bad language!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)

i'll use words black or retarded if i like.
    african american? mentally challenged? what crap.

There's nothing wrong with calling someone black and to suggest it is simply PC-phobia. But calling someone African American is certainly not 'crap' either.

As for 'retarded', that is just plain offensive and I can't believe that you would call a mentally disabled person such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    "re tard" is censored!!! Why?!?! It is neither a taboo term, or bad language!
    I don't think that should be censored, certainly.

(Original post by thebucketwoman)
    People use the term 'alien' as a purposefully emotive word to arouse a feeling of mistrust for foreign people. For decent, objective discussion, I find 'illegal immigrant' to be a far better description.
    A real immigrant is by definition 'legal'. How about an 'unlawful intruder'

edited to add...just saw Bismarck's post.

ReputationRep:
    PC is *******s. end of story.

I find it has negative connotations nowadays, in the same way that the Union Jack does, but shouldn't.
    What's the matter with 'union jack'? I haven't heard anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Not the phrase, the flag. And I'm talking about the way it has been hijacked by xenophobic and racist groups in the UK, and hence it now has negative connotations unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    It's the Union Flag, btw.

(Original post by Northumbrian)
    I really don't understand some people. What's wrong with saying mentall challenged/disabled instead of retarded? .
    That's been explained twice now, the best explanation was from beekeeper.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure retarded is used in the psychology book.

Not the phrase, the flag. And I'm talking about the way it has been hijacked by xenophobic and racist groups in the UK, and hence it now has negative connotations unfortunately.
    I didn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    PC is *******s. end of story.
    *damn*

I refuse to argue for the same cause as yourself...

*now a PC fan*

ReputationRep:
    Labours definition of "xenophobic"
    Anyone that belives in the idea of "Britain should put Britain first" , or leaving the EU or having restrictions on immigration. But its not xenophobic to go to war on a lie and kill 100 000 people.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea who is behind the PC movement?

Is it the Gov't?
    Is it Academia?
    Is it the media?
    Is it big business?

Cam we fight back, or is it hopeless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    But its not xenophobic to go to war on a lie and kill 100 000 people.
    There you go again, bringing up the war irrelevantly. This is a discussion on political correctness.

Secondly, whatever you like to believe about the war it wasn't 'xenophobic'. The two things have nothing to do with each other and you've simply made a very poor connection between the two.

ReputationRep:

Is it the Gov't?
    Is it Academia?
    Is it the media?
    Is it big business?

I think it's a mix of all of the above, it is currently enforced through social punishment, but i feel that in the future, we could live in a society where what we say is monitored by the law, and enforced legally.

The development in Brazil is particularly concerning, where the government has published a 86 page document outlining which terms it "hoped" would stop being used.

There is nowhere in the world that is more at risk than Britain though, in my opinion. Do you know that in Britain, the average individual is under suerveillance more than anywhere else in the world? If anywhere in the world is going to turn into a "Big Brother state", it will be right here. It is just a matter of time. I created a thread on this issue a few months back, and i find it concerning that almost half of people on TSR "don't care"

ReputationRep:

Is it the Gov't?
    Is it Academia?
    Is it the media?
    Is it big business?

I think it's decent society fighting back at discrimination.

(Original post by beekeeper_)
    I created a thread on this issue a few months back, and i find it concerning that almost half of people on TSR "don't care"
    Perhaps half the people are youngsters who have already been indoctrinated and think that extreme PC is normal.

I think it's decent society fighting back at discrimination.
    But bucketwoman, society can't fight back unless they have a medium that supports the PC war. Beekeeper thinks it's a combination of the above mentioned potential armies. What do you think???

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.