Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    lol if I went up to the special needs department and said "hello retards" i'd get my head kicked in.

ReputationRep:
    1) Why? The new word will attract the same stigma through time. and It is just hiding discrimination, pretending it doesn't exist.
    Asian or Pakistani will become offensive?

How are people supoposed to know what is thought of by some as offensive?
    It is clear what is offensive. When people say ' I don't mean paki in a bad way', why is it that they so often whisper the word when they see an Asian? Because they know it is an offensive term. Listen to any racist joke and I assure you you'll find out which words are used to offend.

(Original post by ChemistBoy)
    It's the Union Flag, btw.
    I prefer the 'Union Jack' and the 'stars and stripes', though I know the latter is offensive to rappers and zebra's.

ReputationRep:
    Heres a couple FYI:

Disabled (not allowed anymore) - its now referred to as 'less abled'

Handy Man (nope) - Multi Skilled (which kinda makes sense) but then you get a load of skilled people looking for a job which you don't want. Its discriminating against women.

English! (Yes English!) not allowed. Ask at your nearest Job centre why. This has been changed to good communication skills. - In London, quite simple and blunt really, you need someone who can speak English not 1/10th of the bloody language and someone who has good communication skills but can't actually speak English.

ReputationRep:
    To all those who vote PC as a good thing, you really need to avoid practically every pub in stoke.

(Original post by Northumbrian)
    It is clear what is offensive. When people say ' I don't mean paki in a bad way', why is it that they so often whisper the word when they see an Asian?
    Because someone told them it was an offensive word, just like someone said 'blackboard' is an offensive word. Who is this someone?

Listen to any racist joke and I assure you you'll find out which words are used to offend.[/QUOTE]Jokes are humor. I'm Irish, do I give a shlt if anyone tells an Irish joke?.........NO

If I were a pollack or a frog, would I give a shlt if anyone told a 'dummy' joke?...NO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Heres a couple FYI:

Disabled (not allowed anymore) - its now referred to as 'less abled'

English! (Yes English!) not allowed. Ask at your nearest Job centre why. This has been changed to good communication skills. - In London, quite simple and blunt really, you need someone who can speak English not 1/10th of the bloody language and someone who has good communication skills but can't actually speak English.
    Disabled and Less-Able are both used, I assure you that disabled is not considered offensive by the government. For instance in "Disability Living Allowance" (DLA).

Jobs usually state 'good communication skills in *language*'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kard)
    I'm sure retarded is used in the psychology book.
    I believe that 'retarded' is a blanket term used by ordinary people for those who's learning capacity is slowed (retarded) by some mental condition. Those in the medical profession would reference to the condition by it's proper name.

'Retarded' is just one of those words people use because it's less cumbersome than saying 'suffering from autism' etc. I think that the majority of 'retarded' people and their families would be offended if described as such. If it causes offence then it's rude, but it is your choice whether you want to say it or not.

PS: 'Cretin,' on the other hand, is a medical term for someone suffering from cretinism, so it's fine to use, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Disabled and Less-Able are both used, I assure you that disabled is not considered offensive by the government. For instance in "Disability Living Allowance" (DLA).

Not correct. You are not allowed to use the word 'disabled' in a council.
    My Mother works for one London Borough and lets say she is rather quite high up the manager levels. My Mum makes a joke out of it. If thats not political correctness, nothing is! The councils and Job Centres have to be the worst offenders.

The good communication comment was said because I myself as an employer in work, am unable to title 'Good English' with the Job Centre. Evening standard is acceptible because your paying £500 quid for a 1inch x 1inch advert.

ReputationRep:
    In London, quite simple and blunt really, you need someone who can speak English not 1/10th of the bloody language and someone who has good communication skills but can't actually speak English.
    My aunty speaks perfect English and has done for all her life. But it happens she speak it with a very broad Geordie accent. 'Good English' insinuates that she (and 97% of the population) speak 'bad english.'

Because someone told them it was an offensive word, just like someone said 'blackboard' is an offensive word. Who is this someone?
    When most of the people that word describes see it as offenisve, and when it is regularly used in an offensive way is when it becomes offensive. I doubt you'll find many black people who find the phrase 'nitty-gritty' offensive for example.

I'm Irish, do I give a shlt if anyone tells an Irish joke?.........NO
    If the person whispered the joke when you were there to someone else. If they used the word 'paddy' while they beat you up, if you had 'paddy house' daubed on your place of abode, maybe then you'd being to find it offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    To all those who vote PC as a good thing, you really need to avoid practically every pub in stoke.
    Why would any right minded person go to stoke in the first place?

Your birthplace?

ReputationRep:
    I dont care if its PC or not, I say whatever words I like. After all I will be the first to say im not-PC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)

Your birthplace?
    Why not try asking the new arrivals
    Your birthplace?
    nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Why not try asking the new arrivals

nope.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    :confused:
    You obviously get confused easy, Right you asked"why would any right minded person go to stoke in the first place" so I said"why not ask the new arrivals" e.g the person who goes there in the first place(they would give you a reason im sure) then you asked"your birth place?" and I said "nope" because I was not born there.

ReputationRep:

Personally, I think we should return to using 5pa5tic.

ReputationRep:
    it should be used so as not to offend, but not over used in such a way that emphasises on the subject.... if i make any sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    You obviously get confused easy, Right you asked"why would any right minded person go to stoke in the first place" so I said"why not ask the new arrivals" e.g the person who goes there in the first place(they would give you a reason im sure) then you asked"your birth place?" and I said "nope" because I was not born there.
    The new arrivals? Since when have people been moving to stoke?

Uh ye probably as some sort of punishment..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    I prefer the 'Union Jack' and the 'stars and stripes', though I know the latter is offensive to rappers and zebra's.
    The Union Jack is a completely different flag, which is usually flown by vessels of the british fleet, so it isn't a question of what you 'prefer' it's a question of talking about the flag of the UK, which is the Union Flag, not the Union Jack.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with calling someone black and to suggest it is simply PC-phobia. But calling someone African American is certainly not 'crap' either.

As for 'retarded', that is just plain offensive and I can't believe that you would call a mentally disabled person such a thing.
    I agree. People who would call a mentally disabled person 'retarded' are the true retards as far as I'm concerned, and they apparently dominate the whole of this thread. To be honest, it's surprising to read most the posts here. Perhaps I live in a country which is far too racially harmonious with no racial conflicts and xenophobia I've no idea how much bigotry exists outside of it. I feel immensely fortunate that I've never come into contact with such obscene, obviously largely rightist (in the political sense of the term) individuals in my life either. Back in the sixties, many of those from the Commonwealth (e.g. Singapore and Malaysia) who had studied in Oxbridge on scholarships could still recall how - unlike the Labour party members - the Tories were the least sympathetic to nationalist movements and full of their usual ******** about the glory of the Queen and the Empire.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.