Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of Political Correctness? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Changing the name of christmas to winterfest in stoke, as to not "offend" the muslims, is not polite its rude.
    The problem is that the word "Christmas" or what it represents probably wouldn't have offended any muslims anyway. I doubt the name was change because of a barrage of protest from Stoke based muslims. It was more likely changed because of some white PC brainless imbecile sitting in town hall thought it was the right thing to do. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Political correctness is one of the most malign influences in modern society.

ReputationRep:
    As with most things in life surely it's a question of finding a happy medium? that much seems obvious.

However, the propensity that the right has to damn anything and everything which offends their political viewpoint as "political correctness gone mad!!!" ala the Daily Mail is incredibly irritating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    What do you think of Political Correctness?

its a load of shoite to be blunt.

i'll use words black or retarded if i like.
    african american? mentally challenged? what crap.
    If they dont like our words, then they know where to go (or not go) ie UK! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Good point. Why is everybody so bloody offended at everything? They should stop being so gay IMO. Bunch of pussies.
    PM me next week and remind me to rep you howard! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    If they dont like our words, then they know where to go (or not go) ie UK! lol
    Who says that you are representative of the UK? Only the elected government has the right to say who should 'go'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Who says that you are representative of the UK? Only the elected government has the right to say who should 'go'.
    If the elected governments of the last few decades weren't listening to the majority of people in Britain who consistently voiced the kind of opinion you're saying is unrepresentative, who were they listening to?

[And if both criminal gangs have together worked against the democratic will of the people shouldn't we hang them? ]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    If the elected governments of the last few decades weren't listening to the majority of people in Britain who consistently voiced the kind of opinion you're saying is unrepresentative, who were they listening to?
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Labour won the last three elections, and the most right wing government we've ever had in the UK was the Conservatives.

What opinion? What majority?

ReputationRep:
    I think being politically correct is ok, but in the uk the govt is trying to make everyone OVER politically correct. I think you'll find most people object to it and its why programmes such as little britain do so well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milady)
    Retarded wasn't always a solely offensive term. In fact, it still isn't.

It did actually mean 'Slowed or delayed in development or progress, esp. because of mental retardation' and still does. That's not offensive. What is offensive is when people take the word and turn it into an insult as you just did ('true retards').

Using it in a derogatory way is what creates nasty connotations and takes its original, fairly neutral, meaning away.

Referring to someone who is actually mentally handicapped as 'retarded' isn't all that offensive or unusual. My friend, whose brother has such a problem, talks of him as 'retarded.' It sometimes shakes her up a little if someone uses the word '******' in the insult sense, but not when in reference to her brother.

And what's this talk of 'largely rightist' and 'tories' -- some animosity there, then? Can I smell a hint of stereotyping and discriminatory generalisation?
    I agree, retardation means decelleration so a ****** is someone with their learning decellerating, in fact that classes everyone of us as a '******' as we leran our fastest when we are yuongest and it contu=niues to decelerat until we die

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2005
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.