Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how far universities take GCSE grades into account?

ReputationRep:
    Are the grades in your sig predicted grades? Because otherwise how do you know? Erm, I think some Unis do look at GCSE grades, but we had this Oxford tutor in t'other day, well we had three of them, and they said in all honesty, they don't count for that much. As long as they're decent ie. Above C, "preferably a few As", they don't mind. It's the A-Levels that are most important as this tutor said; "different people develop at different stages", and they "take this into account". For example, someone could get 3 As, 2 Cs, and 5 Bs at GCSE and then get 4 AAAA A-Levels, they'd still be offered an Oxford place if they did well enough at interview, and had a good PS. Well that's the message I was conveyed anyway. She said they certainly don't require "lots of A*s". Having said that I've heard stories about Birmingham Uni I think it is, or it could be Bristol, who bin applicants straight off who have less than 5 A*s, but I think that might be fiction. Ho Hum.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you want to apply to competitive unis for competitive courses, you would need outstanding GCSE results, because nowadays many ppl get 3As in A levels and therefore you should outstand with ur good GCSe results amongst other candidates. For oxbridge you would need also to get A*s, but ur results dont have to be excellent. For LSE you will have to get as many A*s as possible, because LSE is a different story to Oxbridge. They only want good grades than a good interview. But i guess it depends on what and where you want to study

ReputationRep:
    Having said that I've heard stories about Birmingham Uni I think it is, or it could be Bristol, who bin applicants straight off who have less than 5 A*s, but I think that might be fiction. Ho Hum.
    It certainly is fiction. Neither Bristol or Birmingham 'binned' me, but that may be because my high school has/had (in sixth form now) a 19% A*-C passrate.

ReputationRep:
    They look at your GCSE's and your AS levels because they, obviously, can't have your A level results before they've considered you for a place. So I guess they look at them quite a lot, as that's what they base their decision on.

ReputationRep:
    here take a look at this site, got profiles of people who applied to oxbridge, and what gsce and a-level grades they got.

http://www.oxbridge-admissions.org.uk/index.html

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..some guy with 12A*s and 4 As at AS Level got rejected for Law...and from studying the individual reports, it would seem the interview is the most important part of an Oxford application.

ReputationRep:
    yeh defineltely,also extra-curricular stuff related to your subject

e.g

Law - Debating, Politics
    drama- drama, lol
    Sports - sports
    english - writing stuff

etc... you get the idea, dont really put all your efforts into gettin the world championships in moto gp racing, if you wanna do Anglo Soxon, Norse and Celtic at campbridge, lol

Oxbridge also hate people who do nothing but school, thats why it annoys me when you see these stories 'girl with 5A's at A-level rejected by Oxbridge' , its prob coz she spent more time in the books, than out in life which is what they like, but get the right balance

'work hard, so you can play hard'

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...I wonder if they'll be impressed by my Adobe Photoshop skills...maybe it's worth putting on my application. It doesn't exactly relate to law, but it's diverse, something different, so hopefully they can appreciate a creative individual!

I might also put together a stylish website over the next year or so, that's a sure fire way to impress.

ReputationRep:
    lol, yeh a fellow prospective law student, but your thinking oxford cool, well oxford interview less of their students than cambridge, cam do 90% and oxford do about 75-80%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    yeh defineltely,also extra-curricular stuff related to your subject

e.g

Law - Debating, Politics
    drama- drama, lol
    Sports - sports
    english - writing stuff

etc... you get the idea, dont really put all your efforts into gettin the world championships in moto gp racing, if you wanna do Anglo Soxon, Norse and Celtic at campbridge, lol

Oxbridge also hate people who do nothing but school, thats why it annoys me when you see these stories 'girl with 5A's at A-level rejected by Oxbridge' , its prob coz she spent more time in the books, than out in life which is what they like, but get the right balance

'work hard, so you can play hard'
    of course they wont accept some kind of a nerd. A person should be good and have knowledge in everything apart from his A levels and GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    I'd best load up Macromedia Dreamweaver then...although I'm not entirely sure what to make my site about. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    of course they wont accept some kind of a nerd. A person should be good and have knowledge in everything apart from his A levels and GCSEs.
    thank you izzy... i think, lol

ReputationRep:
    ummm.... us, your TSR buddies, lol i dunno, if yuo gona this site to impress you need to make it good, can tjust be a doss about site, can it, hmmm, i dunno (who'da thunk i had to create a website for my y10 end of yrs, hehehe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Hmmm...I wonder if they'll be impressed by my Adobe Photoshop skills...maybe it's worth putting on my application. It doesn't exactly relate to law, but it's diverse, something different, so hopefully they can appreciate a creative individual!

I might also put together a stylish website over the next year or so, that's a sure fire way to impress.
    if you want to go to Oxbridge, you dont need that kind of stuff. You just have to be good at the interview, answering every question they ask.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...It could be a nicely written blog, with stuff I've created on Photoshop and anything else I'm proud of.

ReputationRep:
    Hey fox, i know what you could

How i failed my gcse's by working on a site to impresses Oxbridge, but didnt even get to show them coz i didnt get an interview coz i had no gcse's

its a bit long but you get the jist, lol

ReputationRep:
    That just might work...

I'm not set entirely on getting into Oxbridge though, I'd be perfectly happy studying Economics/Law at LSE, UCL or KCL. Oh shizzle, they're all bloody hard to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    That just might work...

I'm not set entirely on getting into Oxbridge though, I'd be perfectly happy studying Economics/Law at LSE, UCL or KCL. Oh shizzle, they're all bloody hard to get into.
    LOL! MATTHEW GOULD (yes i'm full naming you!) that would be so funny!

ReputationRep:
    LSE is flipping harder than Oxbrdge in some cases, check this site for the a-level lse just wont accept

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/unde...ted-subheading2

apparently you are only allowed to do one 'mickey mouse ' subject to be able to be accepted

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.