Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Quiet, you. Did you do the Samurai Sudoku in last week's Times (and this week's). I actually found it easier than regular Sudoku.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narc0t1c)
    hmm
    ive only done 8 gcse
    but im prety sure of 6A* and 2 A s
    would that be all right for applying to oxbridge for a hard course like enginering
    Yes, they'd be fine, but they wouldn't get you a place if you did badly at A-level, screwed up the interviews and any tests/written work you had to submit and had no extra-curricular stuff. Similarly, if your GCSEs turn out to be a bit lower than that but you excel at everything else, you might get in. GCSEs are not that important.

ReputationRep:
    For something like engineering, strength in Physics and Maths will be the most important...they'll care more about the way you think (preferably very logical) and your natural knack for it rather than how well you did in a French GCSE :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Quiet, you. Did you do the Samurai Sudoku in last week's Times (and this week's). I actually found it easier than regular Sudoku.
    nah, i'll have to try that one, but my aunty did buy a sudoku book, for herself, and she was gettin nowhere, i kinda just started coz there was a 'extremely hard' section and i kinda finished most of the seciton and my aunty was like you might as well keep that book i'll buy another, i felt bad, but i got loads of sudokus to do now

ANYWAY BAK ON TRAK, yeh about those gcse's at uni.....lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Ballroom Dancing! :p: It's kinda odd, because the tutors I was speaking too said that Duke of Edinburgh award isn't seen as an advantage at all, not even the Gold. They said they're really not arsed about it...
    we have a dancesport team & varsity match..! :p:

& yes, i wasn't saying all these extracurriculars counted in terms of achieving offers... my point was just about them counting in terms of having a life & in response to the idea you shouldn't bother with any because they take "time & effort". I just think that if you honestly don't have the time or energy for a few ECs (who cares what they are? whatever you might have a passion for..) doing GCSEs/A2* then you're either working so hard for these comparitively easy qualifications that i don't think Oxbridge is advisable or you're so work obsessed that you'll go nuts with an inferiority complex here..

work-play balance, people.. :cool:

* minus mitigating circumstances, obviously, such as needing a part-time job to fund food & a roof over your head!

ReputationRep:
    yep i sed that earlier another good line

(Original post by my mom again)
    a little pain for a lot of gain
    just over a week left, lets get working

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.