Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    In the last week I've had two things happen on the internet which feel like they people involved are stalking me...nothing has happened like it before this last week to me and I'm worried...lol.

First this random person added me to their MSN messenger and tried to find all sorts of information out about me, like my name age etc. They wouldn't tell me where they go my address from, saying they got it off 'some football forum'...only I don't really like football and certainly haven't been to any football forum. In the end I simply blocked their name after they started asking me about who I like to have sex with... :eek:

Now tonight I've been talking about Big Brother on a forum and someone MPs me there saying they live near York like em and want to meet up to talk about BB. I PM back saying I don't have time with exams and how I'll be leaving York soon and then I get a demanding PM back asking my name, the course I'm doing and where I come from...

..it all feels a little worrying to me :eek:

ReputationRep:
    oh cool u do mmath at york? what year r u in?

ReputationRep:
    how old are you?
    whats your name?
    who do you wanna have sex with?
    do you have brotheres or sisters?
    do you think is annoying?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hehe people, that's not funny :p:

ReputationRep:
    no really what year r u in?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    no really what year r u in?
    Oh, you're being serious...well even if you aren't it doesn't matter too much if you know..lol.

I'm in the 4th year...just about ready for finishing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    Oh, you're being serious...well even if you aren't it doesn't matter too much if you know..lol.

I'm in the 4th year...just about ready for finishing...
    cool cool im in year 1 - 3 years left! what career do u have in mind?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    cool cool im in year 1 - 3 years left! what career do u have in mind?
    I applied for a PhD, and got an offer from Newcastle, but decided I didn't want to that in the end. I've recently applied to do a PGCE and am waiting to hear abck on this. Hoepfully I might get accepted here in York

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a PhD, and got an offer from Newcastle, but decided I didn't want to that in the end. I've recently applied to do a PGCE and am waiting to hear abck on this. Hoepfully I might get accepted here in York
    nice1 gl.

ReputationRep:
    but still...it must be nice to have people to talk to...

ReputationRep:
    I am not a stalker but from your name I would imagine you are from Goodricke. Is this true?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by MMA)
    I am not a stalker but from your name I would imagine you are from Goodricke. Is this true?
    Nope I'm Derwent...but the RK centre is where I've spent a lot of time between lectures...given the maths departemtn is in Goodricke

And bikerx23: it may be nice to have people to talk to, but it is still worrying...

Finally, DaveManUK: good luck to you too...still a lot of work a head for you...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm Derwent too. I also like the RK centre but think that it gets too overcrowded sometimes. Don't worry about the stalker thing just makesure you don't give out too much personal info on the net.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by MMA)
    Yep, I'm Derwent too. I also like the RK centre but think that it gets too overcrowded sometimes. Don't worry about the stalker thing just makesure you don't give out too much personal info on the net.
    Ah, cool.

I normally don't mind talking to people off the internet, like in this thread, or with the few people I've got to know quite well here and there from the internet, but when random people add you to their MSN and you get 'demanding' PMs it can sometimes be a bit much...

EDITomething I really don't mind is this one message baord I got o where quite a few people know my real name....and I don't even know who they are. Just this minute now someone has responded to one of my posts calling me by my real name and I've no idea who they are. I don't have it anywhere in my profile or anything...but many people just know it...every couple of days I'm suprised by more people knwoing my name. I don't worry about it on that site though. Even though it's quite large (several thousand members), it's quite a good natured board and there are never really any problems, everyone is really friendly and a great little community (this is, BTW, a different site to the one I got the strange PM on).

ReputationRep:
    Roger Kirk said:
    I normally don't mind talking to people off the internet, like in this thread, or with the few people I've got to know quite well here and there from the internet, but when random people add you to their MSN and you get 'demanding' PMs it can sometimes be a bit much...
    It sounds a bit strange I must admit, but I have read cases of it happening before. Its ok to talk on a forum but to ask to meet when you don't know the person sounds excessive to say the least! You are lucky though as the maths department at York is relatively well hidden, so it might be hard to find you during the day .
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by MMA)
    Roger Kirk said:

It sounds a bit strange I must admit, but I have read cases of it happening before. Its ok to talk on a forum but to ask to meet when you don't know the person sounds excessive to say the least! You are lucky though as the maths department at York is relatively well hidden, so it might be hard to find you during the day .
    Yep, that is true, it's nice and hidden...I guess it's easy to cope with wht seems like online stalking...as you are not really in any danger if unless you give out info. But if soeone was to start following yuo around and going whereevr you'll be, then that is something to worry about..

ReputationRep:
    In the last week I've had two things happen on the internet which feel like they people involved are stalking me...nothing has happened like it before this last week to me and I'm worried...lol.

First this random person added me to their MSN messenger and tried to find all sorts of information out about me, like my name age etc. They wouldn't tell me where they go my address from, saying they got it off 'some football forum'...only I don't really like football and certainly haven't been to any football forum. In the end I simply blocked their name after they started asking me about who I like to have sex with... :eek:

Now tonight I've been talking about Big Brother on a forum and someone MPs me there saying they live near York like em and want to meet up to talk about BB. I PM back saying I don't have time with exams and how I'll be leaving York soon and then I get a demanding PM back asking my name, the course I'm doing and where I come from...

..it all feels a little worrying to me :eek:
    :rofl: creepy.. i've had that kinda stuff happen to me (including being contacted by a man claiming to be an ex-president refugee who had supposedly been assasinated), someone claiming to be from MI5 and then this other guy who said i was being watched be satellite :rofl: I probably am you know...

anyway, get the feeling someones watching you when youre out?

ReputationRep:
    Thats just weird.. Maybe stalkers are getting lazy nowadays and cant be bothered to follow on foot like the old days..

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time, "random" people find your email through entries you have made on online guestbook etc, and lots of spam programmes target these lists, but I forget what the process is called.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyB)
    Most of the time, "random" people find your email through entries you have made on online guestbook etc, and lots of spam programmes target these lists, but I forget what the process is called.
    those spider things?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.