How far is "the end of the world"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutus)
    when ever it ends...

i dont go by the people who say WE are going to destroy this eath

way do big headed

we will however

destroy ourselves eventualy lol...but not the earth.

ReputationRep:
    a range from 512-812 years from now
    ...and before anyone says it is a relatively small range considering the life on earth has been around for hundreds of millions of years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
    when ever it ends...

i dont go by the people who say WE are going to destroy this eath

way do big headed

we will however

destroy ourselves eventualy lol...but not the earth.
    I

Too

Like to use

The enter

Key

A lot for no real

reason.

On topic though, worlds are rather durable things, are we discussing the end of the human race, or the actual physical end of this planet?

ReputationRep:
    53 years 73 days 22 hours 56 minutes and 43 seconds away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggaman7)
    a range from 512-812 years from now
    ...and before anyone says it is a relatively small range considering the life on earth has been around for hundreds of millions of years
    Life has been around for about 3.5Ma. Even if there was a mass extinction, it would evolve again, as it always has. Hence, 512-812 is too soon.

If we destroy ourselves, a life form will evolve which could survive the conditions we leave behind. That's the way life works.

ReputationRep:
    whne the sun dies...I dont know any of the theoretical times and stuff...but then *nods*

Jesus was asked this question by his apostles.

You will find his answer in Matthew 24: 3-14!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Matt)
    3As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
    Doesn't really answer that much, does it?

Bloody Jesus, getting all airy-fairy on us...

ReputationRep:
    A few thousand years.

ReputationRep:
    Well if it's true that humans have a built in want to help each other, then the earth will come to an end by natural causes (unless in some far distance future humanity decides to drag the earth out of harms way). If we are just cynical gits who would rather put all our energy into killing each other, then I give us 100 years...maximum.

"The end of the world will not be its destruction but its total renewal".
    Ps 102: 25-27

ReputationRep:
    I think the world will end about 144 000 AD. (hey, i'm an optimist)

Certainly, there may be a population collapse among humans much sooner (perhaps in a century or so) due to overpopulation and strain on resources (and war).

But people won't die out. Heavens no. We're like cockroaches.

ReputationRep:
    Only GOD knows when this world shall end!

If you're standing on an ocean beach, with your eyes about 3 feet above sea level, the end of the world is about 5 miles.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, i dont think it wil ever end. Inevitabley, the human race will die, but perhaps we are the problem with the earth? Therefore, it will continue living in relative harmony until another organism evolves and destructs it again.

As far as humanity is concerned, there are thousands of years left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferret_messiah)
    I

Too

Like to use

The enter

Key

A lot for no real

reason.
    HAHAHA! That made

me lau

gh

! :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. why would it?

ReputationRep:
    Only GOD knows when this world shall end!
    Or George Bush, chuckling with his finger over The Button...... hmm.... right, I'm starting a new religion...

ReputationRep:
    "Necessity is the mother of all invention" - we'll find away to stay around for millions of years yet

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.