Turn on thread page Beta

Live 8 - The Definitive Thread! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejazzilancelott)
    i think that people are getting there hopes up a bit too much. this concert is not going to stop poverty overnight. poverty will not stop overnight and besides poverty is not only in africa even in the most powerful countries like britain and the US, people live on the streets bathing in trafalger square fountains. also i don't think it is that simple to stop poverty in africa. there is alot of corruption in the goverments and countries like nigeria can actually pay their debt and they handle their payments fine so its not very country. also another issue which will be hard to tackle is the aids epidemic. its not that people are sleeping around that they catch aids. its gotten far beyond that point and people are now just automatically born with aids. now hoe are you meant to stop people being born with aids? you can's just sterilise the millions of people that has it. as a native african and a regular visiter to the country i have seen the conditions first hand i know that some celebs will probably snap their fingers and not think twice about what they are snapping the fingers about. the will go back to making their millions of pounds for pretending to be someone else for 90 minutes which can go to better causes. the handling of the money needs to be better organised. the fact the we have to do another live aid or live 8 tells us that something is not quite right and the fact that after 20 years since live aid more people are dying in africa than ever despite the money from live aid, comic relief, red cross, oxfam and these are only a few money raising efforts. the money pumped into africa im sure could have paid of the debts or larged parts of it yet africa are in the worst economical postion ever. poverty will take decades to eradicate however i do find it inspiring that people are at least trying to do something about. also i do not feel bob geldof is a hero nor does he. there are thousands of people through the 20 year period actually going to africa and working to death to try and help these unfortunate people. the only difference is, is that they are not celebreties also they do not have millions of pounds in the bank. instead they take with them just the clothes on their back and go out with no source of income trying to help these people. those in my mind are the real heroes. its funny how these artists snap their fingers on a white screen but yet but a 10 carat diamond that 5 year olds in sierra leone had died for trying to dig for them. its funny how they complain about not enough money being given to africa but yet still except the 10's of million pounds they had just been given for their albub or movie.
    Sure, this event proves that Live AId 20 years ago didnt eradicate poverty. However, if it wasnt for Comic Relief, oxfam etc then MORE people would be dying. it may not be every 3 seconds. It may be every second. We need to distinguish between changing the world completely and changing the world at all. I think its better that the world is changed slowly, or partially, for the better than never at all. Doesn't every little help?

ReputationRep:
    wow that video was powerful

ReputationRep:
    i'm impressed with Will Smith - i know i'm gonna get shouted down that he's reading a script/doing it for publicity or whatever, but he seems like a genuinely caring guy, and hes a good public speaker isn't he?

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't as powerful as the origional live aid video.

ReputationRep:
    i think that people are getting there hopes up a bit too much. this concert is not going to stop poverty overnight. poverty will not stop overnight and besides poverty is not only in africa even in the most powerful countries like britain and the US, people live on the streets bathing in trafalger square fountains. also i don't think it is that simple to stop poverty in africa. there is alot of corruption in the goverments and countries like nigeria can actually pay their debt and they handle their payments fine so its not very country. also another issue which will be hard to tackle is the aids epidemic. its not that people are sleeping around that they catch aids. its gotten far beyond that point and people are now just automatically born with aids. now hoe are you meant to stop people being born with aids? you can's just sterilise the millions of people that has it. as a native african and a regular visiter to the country i have seen the conditions first hand i know that some celebs will probably snap their fingers and not think twice about what they are snapping the fingers about. the will go back to making their millions of pounds for pretending to be someone else for 90 minutes which can go to better causes. the handling of the money needs to be better organised. the fact the we have to do another live aid or live 8 tells us that something is not quite right and the fact that after 20 years since live aid more people are dying in africa than ever despite the money from live aid, comic relief, red cross, oxfam and these are only a few money raising efforts. the money pumped into africa im sure could have paid of the debts or larged parts of it yet africa are in the worst economical postion ever. poverty will take decades to eradicate however i do find it inspiring that people are at least trying to do something about. also i do not feel bob geldof is a hero nor does he. there are thousands of people through the 20 year period actually going to africa and working to death to try and help these unfortunate people. the only difference is, is that they are not celebreties also they do not have millions of pounds in the bank. instead they take with them just the clothes on their back and go out with no source of income trying to help these people. those in my mind are the real heroes. its funny how these artists snap their fingers on a white screen but yet but a 10 carat diamond that 5 year olds in sierra leone had died for trying to dig for them. its funny how they complain about not enough money being given to africa but yet still except the 10's of million pounds they had just been given for their albub or movie.
    Quite a read.. Paragraphs?
    Anyway, Firstly It isnt another 'Live Aid' Its Live 8. Live Aid gave money to the countries, But as we know this is a ineffienct way that they have handled there money and a latge majority just wasnt used. Live 8 Is jsutice, not charity this time there putting pressure on the world leaders to take a stand and do something.
    No one thinks that this will suddenyl magically disappear all of worlds problems, But its a step in the right direction.
    As you said Bob Geldof never calls himself a Hero, I do beleive that anyway people are helping out Africa are really making a difference.. The Celebrities are used because they are big drawing points.. The whole idea of celebritiy isnt my favourite subject but there putting out figure heads they know will have a long lasting effect on the public.
    You cant jsut say because these celebrities are million dollar earners they should donate.. Its up to them. if they want to donate Like Bill Gates who donates millions in aid then they will.
    But good Points.

ReputationRep:
    haha travis looks different - i hope they play driftwood

ReputationRep:
    Ah yay Side my favourite

ReputationRep:
    i never said thet people shouldnt try im just saying that people cannot expect a change overnight which people do also that its not that simple to just stop debt, double aid and make trade fair. yes thay should do it but it will take alot of organisation to make it work. people are arguing that fair trade is not that fair as it benefits countries that grow crop such as cocoa and fruit however countries like bangaladesh which is mainlt a textile country do not get to benefit from it. some of these schemes have holes in them which need to be tied up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raven4723)
    Doesn't every little help?
    It certainly does

ReputationRep:
    I keep on seeing the word 'poverty' and think it says 'puberty'.

ReputationRep:
    i think that people are getting there hopes up a bit too much. this concert is not going to stop poverty overnight. poverty will not stop overnight and besides poverty is not only in africa even in the most powerful countries like britain and the US, people live on the streets bathing in trafalger square fountains. also i don't think it is that simple to stop poverty in africa. there is alot of corruption in the goverments and countries like nigeria can actually pay their debt and they handle their payments fine so its not very country. also another issue which will be hard to tackle is the aids epidemic. its not that people are sleeping around that they catch aids. its gotten far beyond that point and people are now just automatically born with aids. now hoe are you meant to stop people being born with aids? you can's just sterilise the millions of people that has it. as a native african and a regular visiter to the country i have seen the conditions first hand i know that some celebs will probably snap their fingers and not think twice about what they are snapping the fingers about. the will go back to making their millions of pounds for pretending to be someone else for 90 minutes which can go to better causes. the handling of the money needs to be better organised. the fact the we have to do another live aid or live 8 tells us that something is not quite right and the fact that after 20 years since live aid more people are dying in africa than ever despite the money from live aid, comic relief, red cross, oxfam and these are only a few money raising efforts. the money pumped into africa im sure could have paid of the debts or larged parts of it yet africa are in the worst economical postion ever. poverty will take decades to eradicate however i do find it inspiring that people are at least trying to do something about. also i do not feel bob geldof is a hero nor does he. there are thousands of people through the 20 year period actually going to africa and working to death to try and help these unfortunate people. the only difference is, is that they are not celebreties also they do not have millions of pounds in the bank. instead they take with them just the clothes on their back and go out with no source of income trying to help these people. those in my mind are the real heroes. its funny how these artists snap their fingers on a white screen but yet but a 10 carat diamond that 5 year olds in sierra leone had died for trying to dig for them. its funny how they complain about not enough money being given to africa but yet still except the 10's of million pounds they had just been
    given for their albub or movie.
    No one is saying poverty will be stopped overnight, this is just one step on the road to helping Africa develop and stopping poverty.
    The corruption thing has already been covered, read some past posts in this thread.
    Bob Geldof has said himself, many times, that the Live Aid money was not spent all that well, but that he has learnt. This event is not about giving money. It is about putting pressure on the G8 leaders to cancel debt, increase aid and increase trade. The aid will not always be money, it may be going to a village and installing a well. This takes money to make it happen, but is not just giving people money.
    And most of these artists realise that the global divide of wealth is extremely unfair, and they are trying to do something about it. Of course they will not give up all their money, but a lot of them do devote time, effort and money to many charitable causes, both home and abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoon1)
    I keep on seeing the word 'poverty' and think it says 'puberty'.
    Same thing

ReputationRep:
    Travis doing Staying Alive?!? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    i never said thet people shouldnt try im just saying that people cannot expect a change overnight which people do also that its not that simple to just stop debt, double aid and make trade fair. yes thay should do it but it will take alot of organisation to make it work. people are arguing that fair trade is not that fair as it benefits countries that grow crop such as cocoa and fruit however countries like bangaladesh which is mainlt a textile country do not get to benefit from it. some of these schemes have holes in them which need to be tied up
    I know, Its just that They dont beleive its going to happen overnight. It would be foolish to presume such a thing. They know its going to take work and organisation, thats the whole poijnt of the summit. the world leaders can sit down and agree a plan of action, and organsiation of schemes and agendas.

ReputationRep:
    Where are my ear plugs??? Travis singing staying alive is appalling!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Travis doing Staying Alive?!? :rofl:
    Loving It!

ReputationRep:
    Why does it always rainnn on meeee woooo

Play Driftwood!!

ReputationRep:
    y do travis get 4 swongs, wen most have 3????

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been fully impressed with what I have seen this far... I was even disappointed by Elton John's set, possibly because he is usually so lively and powerful as a performer... but today, BLAH. I liked Dido and got chills when she did 7 seconds with Yous. REM were quite a pickmeup, but I wish the high quality acts had more time on stage, rather than the Fillers, Snow Patrol and other stuff which is, by comparison, dead on its arse.

Im impressed by the spectacle of it all though, and have signed my name to the list. I hope you all will too. Let's hope we make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djk_99)
    Agreed. You wonder how much more quickly Bush would sort him out if he had lots of oil in his country... or something else that would benefit America as much.
    I repped you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.