Turn on thread page Beta

Live 8 - The Definitive Thread! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    I'm not too fond on their "speed of sound" song though, and haven't listened to the new album yet.
    I got it for my birthday, there are some really good songs on it, I wasn't a fan of speed of sound either, but the album in general is very good!

ReputationRep:
    I AM UNBELIEVABLY GUTTED! I MISSED COLDPLAY..........NOOOO! One of my favourite bands ever! So gutted. What makes it worse, is this duet with Richard Ashcroft, singing "Bitter Sweet Symphony". Bitter Sweet Symphony is my favourite song!! I'm so bloody pissed off right now.

However, I did get to see some great performances? What was everyone's favourites? I thoroughly enjoyed Madonna; thought she was really good to be honest. Velvet Revolver were really good too. Robbie Williams was fantastic, really got the crowd going; he's a great entertainer. Mmm...who else did I see? Snow Patrol. Now, I love Snow Patrol; Final Straw is a bloody fantastic album, but I ain't gonna lie, I was bitterly dissapointed! Not that good live, wasn't too impressed. Although they did say they were nervous. The Killers...what was going on there? Is it just me, or did they do only one song? I thought they would have done more...good while they lasted though. Brandon Flowers is so fit (and talented of course). Dido was cool too. Gutted 'bout Coldplay though.

I did see Craig David in Paris. Was VERY impressed with that acoustic performance, with a bit of freestyle. Did anyone see it? Twas really good fun. I saw also Sarah McLachlan in Philadelphia; she was amazing. I love her. Great talent. Maroon 5 were good over there too. Saw Kaiser Chiefs in Philly; fantastic as ever!

So yeah, they were my highlights. What did everyone else think? I know a couple of people in my class at school who got tickets. (So jealous!). Argh...Coldplay!!

ReputationRep:
    your post was almost as long as your signature :\

yeh the ashcroft thing was amazing. wasnt too fond of the velet revolvers. in back of my mind kept thinking (if they do another song then that means that a decent band will do less).
    was right, killers only ended up doing one song!

ReputationRep:
    That PLacebo performance of Bitter End in France was amazing!! =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    your post was almost as long as your signature :\
    :dito: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    That PLacebo performance of Bitter End in France was amazing!! =)

ARG NOOOOO!!!! I waited all night to see if they would play some of Placebo and i didnt realise it was on AOL! If anyone finds out how I can watch it please please tell me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raven4723)
    ARG NOOOOO!!!! I waited all night to see if they would play some of Placebo and i didnt realise it was on AOL! If anyone finds out how I can watch it please please tell me!
    You can still replay the whole concert of any country from http://music.aol.com/live_8_concert/live_now, I think they'll be dividing it up later so it's easier to find specific acts. I'm waiting for muse myself.

And I agree with whoever it was that said it, the who and pink floyd were the best acts of the night (comfortably numb, excellent stuff).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robert602)
    You can still replay the whole concert of any country from http://music.aol.com/live_8_concert/live_now, I think they'll be dividing it up later so it's easier to find specific acts. I'm waiting for muse myself.

And I agree with whoever it was that said it, the who and pink floyd were the best acts of the night (comfortably numb, excellent stuff).
    Thanks. i hope they do divide it up coz Placebo were at the end....
    the Who and Pink Floyd were amazing... my uncle was there and he left after Robbie what an idiot!!!!!!!!!! Still though Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft were amazing tho.

ReputationRep:
    I can't deny that, although Coldplay's performance was remarkably similar to Glastonbury's (not necessarily a bad thing, it was just a bit spooky).

Stererophonics weren't half bad either, and I think Robbie Williams probably got closest to this year's Radio Ga-Ga moment. He is a great showman, I only wish he hadn't attempted we will rock you.

ReputationRep:
    pink floyd were amazing, especially with comfortably numb. as were the stereophonics. richard ashcroft should have done more with coldplay though, but bittersweet symphony was astonishing. maybe lucky man and drugs dont work. velvet revolver were superb, but not many people are too familiar with their stuff so they didnt see it that way... razorlight seemed distinctly average to me, and the killers - granted they only had one song - seemed a tad flat but then again miles better than when i last saw them peform live. keane were very good but snow patrol disappointed me. madonna and robbie got the crowd going, robbie getting the ga ga moment. macca semed to be trying to steal the thunder with hey jude at the end but the song, especially as it was only na na na naaa hey jude for about 15 minutes tacked onto long and winding road and not the actual song didnt seem quite right - ideally i would have had something like all around the world by oasis but they was in manchester... dido was good and i was really impressed with annie lennox... i bet midge was annoyed especially when geldof decided to do i dont like mondays, which was fantastic, almost as good as when bon jovi persuaded him to do it on the "tenth anniversary 2 jus weeks shy" at wembley when they were doing the one wild night tour... doherty and elton was a bit wierd, i'm sure pete was stoned out his head, but then again so was marc bolan whenever he sung it... gervais was cool with his dance, but when geldof brought that girl on i nearly died with the emotional impact.

as for the philly gig, two words. bon jovi. that was a mighty performance and the kaiser chiefs were great as well. bryan adams was good in toronto. bryan wilson rocked in berlin even though as always he didnt have a clue what was going on. muse were good in paris and craig david' performance wasn't too bad even though i seriously hate him and his music.

ReputationRep:
    Bob Geldof rocked. I was in Manchester Exchnage square, and everyone was roaring 'I dont like Mondays'. Tell me why!

In an interview with Midge Ure straight after he said, 'That was crap'. But maybe it was the illusions of the large crowds, but i thought it was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I WAS THERE!!

that had to be the most incredible concert ever, floyd rule! cant believe i finally got to see them live, thought it would never happen, the atmoshpere was hauntingly brilliant.

best moments: 'comfortably numb' solo, bobs middle speach, robbie williams, snow patrol, coldplays 'fix you' the appearance of the african woman who survived thanks to live-aid was very moving.

worst moment: keane (what a bunch of embarassments)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. i hope they do divide it up coz Placebo were at the end....
    the Who and Pink Floyd were amazing... my uncle was there and he left after Robbie what an idiot!!!!!!!!!! Still though Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft were amazing tho.
    omg why why why would he do that????? :eek: :confused: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finn)
    I WAS THERE!!

that had to be the most incredible concert ever, floyd rule! cant believe i finally got to see them live, thought it would never happen, the atmoshpere was hauntingly brilliant.

best moments: 'comfortably numb' solo, bobs middle speach, robbie williams, snow patrol, coldplays 'fix you' the appearance of the african woman who survived thanks to live-aid was very moving.

YOU LUCKY ;LUCKY MAN/BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finn)
    I WAS THERE!!

Agreed about the Floyd... My dad was sitting in the garden (we hired a huge screen which went on the side of the house) covered in throw rugs, staring in awe.

It was pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    Overall, I thought it was pretty good Stereophonics, Keane, The Who, Madonna were all really good and no-one was that bad except for Elton John and Pete Doherty's version of Children of the Revolution which was in actual fact, the lowest point society has ever reached. However, if we had Muse and Kaiser Cheifs instead of Mariah then it would have been amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finn)
    I WAS THERE!!

I WAS THERE TOO!!!
    I had to leave as Peter kay was on as I had to catch a train and also I wasn't so bothered about seeing those oldies at the end.
    The best bit had to be Robbie Williams - nobody else got the crowd moving so much. I also liked Travis becuase 'Why does it always rain on me' made everyone sing along and the 'staying alive' bit was funny. It is such a shame that Coldplay and U2 were on first before the crowd had warmed up because they were 2 of the bands I was most looking forward too but everyone around me was just chatting away not really listening to their sets. If they hadn't had concerts to go to, Coldplay and U2 should have played at the same sort of time as Robbie.
    Madonna was surprisingly good (I don't usually like her), Mariah Carey was predictably embarassing, Keane was forgettable but I love their music, I'm so glad the Killers did 'all these things that i've done', and all of Razorlight's songs were great but I wish they'd done VICE.
    All in all I'm just so lucky to have been there and I've got some great memories and photos!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolatefudge)
    Mariah Carey was predictably embarassing

I think the concert could have done without Mariah Carey and her african children's choir - I mean, she's one of the reasons there is so much poverty in Africa.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, you a PLacebo fan? =)
    What's ya fave song?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.