Turn on thread page Beta

Live 8 - The Definitive Thread! watch

ReputationRep:
    what was the name of the 1st song sir elton played???

im trying 2 do a set list!

ReputationRep:
    I can't begin to give Bob enough praise! NO matter how many cras comments like "But I am sick and tired of seeing Bob Geldoff on TV whinging ..alll the time!!!!" he still keeps fighting! How would you feel if it was you who was dying from a flipping mosquito bite! A MOSQUITO BITE! a small series of pills clears it in no time, and daily children die from it.So quit your *****ing about it, and sign on www.live8live.com and maybe in 20 years time he wont have to be annoying you so much by caring!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredwad)
    Hippie Jam Fest, it is not going to work. In what way has Africa been involved in this? Oh great bunged in the eden project, good going guys. A bunch of caucasian singers dancing round on stage. Mugabe is going to be shaking in his boots, im sorry but this is in no way going to change the world in the long term. We need action not aid, africans do not want to continually live off the western world.
    There is a concert in Johannesburg too.... thats in Africa.
    And they are only going to be giving aid and trading with those countries which dont have corrupt governments to make sure the money benefits the people and not the few people at the top.
    Check your facts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren Hart)
    I can't begin to give Bob enough praise! NO matter how many cras comments like "But I am sick and tired of seeing Bob Geldoff on TV whinging ..alll the time!!!!" he still keeps fighting! How would you feel if it was you who was dying from a flipping mosquito bite! A MOSQUITO BITE! a small series of pills clears it in no time, and daily children die from it.So quit your *****ing about it, and sign on www.live8live.com and maybe in 20 years time he wont have to be annoying you so much by caring!
    :ditto: You go girl! *reps you*

ReputationRep:
    plz ppl what was eltons 1st song>>>

ReputationRep:
    Hippie Jam Fest, it is not going to work. In what way has Africa been involved in this? Oh great bunged in the eden project, good going guys. A bunch of caucasian singers dancing round on stage. Mugabe is going to be shaking in his boots, im sorry but this is in no way going to change the world in the long term. We need action not aid, africans do not want to continually live off the western world.
    back off, don't you realise that by joining in this 'hippie jam fest' people are showing that they care, and want to support, people who are suffering? Writing names on paper and donating money shows support but something like Live 8 shows scale, and it's a visual representation of how many people are backing Make Poverty History. It worked to first time around, so we have concrete proof that 'hippie jazz fests' can help save lives. What are you doing about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djk_99)
    There is a concert in Johannesburg too.... thats in Africa.
    And they are only going to be giving aid and trading with those countries which dont have corrupt governments to make sure the money benefits the people and not the few people at the top.
    Check your facts
    K, jeez good going fag, isn't that the whole point of the cause to bring together people from various ethnic minorities and so forth. Name me a single african band playing in London.

Secondly at no point did i say the aid was going to corrupt governments or those in power. I stated that this continual flow of aid from the west is only a short term solution. They need a long term solution, devised by both western and african states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raven4723)
    back off, don't you realise that by joining in this 'hippie jam fest' people are showing that they care, and want to support, people who are suffering? Writing names on paper and donating money shows support but something like Live 8 shows scale, and it's a visual representation of how many people are backing Make Poverty History. It worked to first time around, so we have concrete proof that 'hippie jazz fests' can help save lives. What are you doing about it?
    REPPED

ReputationRep:
    What am I doing? So lemme guess your lil white band will save lives? Wrong, we need action from government, and OMG A PETITION AND MILLIONS OF PEOPLE AT CONCERTS, I sense little change will be seen other than that which is currently being made

And in refrence to what i do, i sponsor an African child for £15/month. and im sick of these pretenious **** who wear these white wrist bands.

ReputationRep:
    K, jeez good going fag, isn't that the whole point of the cause to bring together people from various ethnic minorities and so forth. Name me a single african band playing in London.

Secondly at no point did i say the aid was going to corrupt governments or those in power. I stated that this continual flow of aid from the west is only a short term solution. They need a long term solution, devised by both western and african states.
    OK, there arent any African bands playing in Africa, but how many African bands are there?? Can you even name one? The world is made up of 6 other continents, and pretty much all of them represented. And they are just trying to get big names, with large fan bases, because then they will get more people to commit to the cause. It is just trying to bring the issue back to the front of everyone's minds, because this is a very important issue.
    And actually... someone from Senegal has just said some stuff and sung during Dido's set. Africa is not being totally forgotten during this.
    And the whole point of this is to get a deal on debt, aid and trade. They have cancelled debt so the countries themselves can help themselves, which is a long term term solution. Trade is a long term solution. And something has to be done until the above take place, so that is where the aid helps.
    It is an issue which needs solving, and they are just trying to put pressure on governments on all side to solve it. They arent asking for money, just your support.
    And please dont call me a fag.

ReputationRep:
    Is Dido singing some dodgy notes...or is it just me and my friends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkle.Dremas)
    Is Dido singing some dodgy notes...or is it just me and my friends?
    She always does lol. I think she can sing in an out of tune kind of way. Now thats a special talent lol

ReputationRep:
    What am I doing? So lemme guess your lil white band will save lives? Wrong, we need action from government, and OMG A PETITION AND MILLIONS OF PEOPLE AT CONCERTS, I sense little change will be seen other than that which is currently being made

And in refrence to what i do, i sponsor an African child for £15/month. and im sick of these pretenious **** who wear these white wrist bands.
    everything, the "make poverty history" bands, the t-shirts, the advertisements in cinemas sponsered by Orange, sponsering people in Africa, LIVE 8 , all of it is showing support in some form, We should stop being critical of one-another and focus on the actual issue that ALL OF THESE THINGS are trying to stop and help the problems.

The whole device of live 8 is genuis the entire set up, people may moan about SIR BOB GELDOF and call him whiney etc but it's true he's actaull y trying to make a difference and should be commened for it by people showing their support to his efforts!

ReputationRep:

and you expect a government will take action with no prompting whatsoever from it's people? Governments are supposed to take action for the good of the world and it's citizens, so whay shouldnt the people in question express their desires in a worldwide demonstration such as live 8?
    And when did this become about colour? People of EVERY colour are poor, whether the bands that raise awareness are white, black or any shade in between doesn't matter! I am also noticing a balance between the colours of the performers, not that it matters, so again CHECK YOUR FACTS.

ReputationRep:
    OK, there arent any African bands playing in Africa, but how many African bands are there?? Can you even name one? The world is made up of 6 other continents, and pretty much all of them represented. And they are just trying to get big names, with large fan bases, because then they will get more people to commit to the cause. It is just trying to bring the issue back to the front of everyone's minds, because this is a very important issue.
    And actually... someone from Senegal has just said some stuff and sung during Dido's set. Africa is not being totally forgotten during this.
    And the whole point of this is to get a deal on debt, aid and trade. They have cancelled debt so the countries themselves can help themselves, which is a long term term solution. Trade is a long term solution. And something has to be done until the above take place, so that is where the aid helps.
    It is an issue which needs solving, and they are just trying to put pressure on governments on all side to solve it. They arent asking for money, just your support.
    And please dont call me a fag.
    Tinariwen for one, there are loads of african bands.

ReputationRep:
    and you expect a government will take action with no prompting whatsoever from it's people? Governments are supposed to take action for the good of the world and it's citizens, so whay shouldnt the people in question express their desires in a worldwide demonstration such as live 8?
    And when did this become about colour? People of EVERY colour are poor, whether the bands that raise awareness are white, black or any shade in between doesn't matter! I am also noticing a balance between the colours of the performers, not that it matters, so again CHECK YOUR FACTS.
    Dude you will be repped tomorrow once I can give out more rep (Im not very influential lol).
    And fredwad, I fear you are outnumbered here. You may not support the action being taken, but everyone should support the ultimate aim of the cause: MAKE POVERTY HISTORY!

ReputationRep:
    Dude you will be repped tomorrow once I can give out more rep (Im not very influential lol).
    And fredwad, I fear you are outnumbered here. You may not support the action being taken, but everyone should support the ultimate aim of the cause: MAKE POVERTY HISTORY!
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    I fully support the idea of Making Poverty History, i juss strongly believe there are better ways of doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I fully support the idea of Making Poverty History, i juss strongly believe there are better ways of doing it.
    Possibly, but without these concerts bringing the issue to the forefront of the political agenda, MUCH less would have been done by politicians. (and all sorts of political people were saying that this morning, so if you argue with me here, you argue with people who REALLY know what they are talking about).
    These concerts are telling politicians to wake up and actually do something to help Africa, because whatever you say, they cant do it on their own.

ReputationRep:
    if there were better ways of doing it wouldn't they have been attempted? I mean, how else can you get that many people to make a statement and to demonstrate their beliefs? Any ideas?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.