Live 8 - The Definitive Thread! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredwad)
    ognoes !!!!11111

=\
    pardon>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doragas)
    no i can understand the need for awareness, and the concerts are great at doing that. But people are under the mis conception that by having these concerts and marching in edinburgh and getting the g8 to change debt relief and trade that poverty will be solved. It wont. However much money is thrown at africa it is lost in corruption, we must deal with the goverence and corruption of africa first and foremost.
    At last someone who agrees with the point i was making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raven4723)
    The concerts aren't supposed to be solving Africa's poverty, they're supposed to be influencing the world leaders who potentially have the power to start making a difference. Nobody expects solutions overnight...

yes I know...

and do you all really think that some singers are going to make these nazi-esque Afrikan leaders notice? Have any of you ever been to these countries? goodness me. They dont care about what people think, and they sure as hell dont care about Paul McCartney and company telling then, influencing them, what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raven4723)
    The concerts aren't supposed to be solving Africa's poverty, they're supposed to be influencing the world leaders who potentially have the power to start making a difference. Nobody expects solutions overnight...
    grrr i wna rep you agen now! n i cant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredwad)
    At last someone who agrees with the point i was making.
    With all due respect, thats not the point you were making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djk_99)
    No they wont, but they will be a step closer. And if the fair trade thing comes through on a big enough scale, then it will be helping them to help themselves.
    That would probably be a worse thing, fair trade that is, because it only works on a small scale to support a certain amount of people, what is needed is Free trade on a large scale. ALso there are larger trade barriers between african countries then between africa and other continents and so they need to help themselves as well as us helping them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amzybaby24)
    pardon>
    ognoes = oh no

=\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doragas)
    no i can understand the need for awareness, and the concerts are great at doing that. But people are under the mis conception that by having these concerts and marching in edinburgh and getting the g8 to change debt relief and trade that poverty will be solved. It wont. However much money is thrown at africa it is lost in corruption, we must deal with the goverence and corruption of africa first and foremost.
    Definitely. Geldof has already said the money will be going towards helping countries which have fair and transparent governments. In other countries, the aid will go to the people and not the governments as much as is possible. I think he has learnt from last time, when a lot of the money was wasted.
    And I think most people are sensible enouh to realise that this wont solve the problem, but will be a beginning step in helping to solve the problem. Africa may take hundreds of years to catch up to us (considering they are where the UK was over 100 years ago) but at least people wont be dying as much, they will be living in proper houses, they will have food to eat and clean water to drink, and other basic things that every human being should be entitled to. It will take a long time, not overnight, but at least they are trying to make it in the next 5 years instead of ignoring it and it happening in the next 50 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    yes I know...

and do you all really think that some singers are going to make these nazi-esque Afrikan leaders notice? Have any of you ever been to these countries? goodness me. They dont care about what people think, and they sure as hell dont care about Paul McCartney and company telling then, influencing them, what to do.
    it's worth a shot, and geldof and everyone are taking advantage of this shot, it's better than sitting on your arse and doing **** all!

ReputationRep:
    Well technically seeing as Paul Mcartney last time I looked wasnt a world leader...
    Its aiming to have a knock on effect to the G8 summit, getting world leaders such as Bush and Blair and other countries to try and take control of the situation. Of course we would be stupid to think the concert will just magically solve everything, But its a start along a positive path that may one day help the real problems with the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amzybaby24)
    it's worth a shot, and geldof and everyone are taking advantage of this shot, it's better than sitting on your arse and doing **** all!
    Exactly. How often do you see this many people supporting a cause? Even if the desired result doesn't occur then at least we can see that people will keep trying.

ReputationRep:
    It just annoys me when people who havent even been to these poverty stricken countries in Afrika think that by having these concerts they can make everything right again. Its just madness (no offence to anyone here of course)

ReputationRep:
    It just annoys me when people who havent even been to these poverty stricken countries in Afrika think that by having these concerts they can make everything right again. Its just madness (no offence to anyone here of course)
    A lot of the people organising the concerts have been there and have witnessed the suffering. The people who havent are showing that they will try and help people they're never met.
    And no offense taken

ReputationRep:
    wow who else thinks EVERYBODY HURTS is the most emotional song in the world????

ReputationRep:
    I have to say I think that the name count thing is a very good idea

ReputationRep:
    DJK_99 i agree with you, and i feel that live 8 is great, but if the g8 does allow more debt relief and remove trade restrictions, which i greatly hope they do, this must only be done if the countries whose governments will co-operate. I do not feel that the other countries in africa, for example Zimbabwe, even with the horrific suffering should be allowed debt relief because the government will use it for more corruption. Live 8 and the g8 have to work in accordance with countries who want to change, you can only help those who want help.

ReputationRep:
    It is kinda emotional

ReputationRep:
    This is actually the most boring thing I've ever scene. The talent is non-existent and the sound is rubbish. The audience is a real bore as well with all the petty 'golgen circle' rubbish going on... Freddie Mercury would cringe if he was alive. Robbie Williams better not screw up his bathos filled attempt at We Will Rock You.

Btw Dont know what all the fuss over Cold Play is about. Very boring indeed with that lead singer trying desperately to be a good showman. ha! bland... I'm off out for walk.

ReputationRep:
    I Love that song.. Its so emotional. Aah.
    Seeing as an estimated 5 billion should be watching, If they all went to Africa to witness the poverty firsthand. It may get a little more overcrowded.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think people are trying to say that, I think people are trying to help, because they can. Putting pressure on the G8 leaders will cause them to cancel debt, send more aid and increase trade. Everyone realises it wont solve the problem, its a step in the right direction.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.