The Student Room Group

Sports at Cambridge

first post :biggrin:

just wondering how often college rugby teams tend to train and how often they have matches? anyone able to give a rough example of a training schedule? also, how good would you say one has to be to make the uni team?

i'm also interested in how often college rowing teams train... again, any idea of a training schedule?

and finally, boxing... i've seen on the website that blues training is 4x weekly. what's the standard of boxing like in cambridge? are there lots of decent boxers or are there few enough that most people interested make the blues squad?

thanks in advance
Reply 1
clockwork__
first post :biggrin:

just wondering how often college rugby teams tend to train and how often they have matches? anyone able to give a rough example of a training schedule? also, how good would you say one has to be to make the uni team?

i'm also interested in how often college rowing teams train... again, any idea of a training schedule?

and finally, boxing... i've seen on the website that blues training is 4x weekly. what's the standard of boxing like in cambridge? are there lots of decent boxers or are there few enough that most people interested make the blues squad?

thanks in advance

In writing my response I'm assuming you're male, hope that's ok.

College rugby teams tent to train anything from nothing to twice a week (as far as I can gather anyway) and matches about once a week (if that). You'd have to be very good to make the blues squad but they also run an U21's and U20's team so you might be able to get on one of those (my wild stab it the dark educated guess is that you should be of a county level standard to make one of those teams)

College rowing squads train from any thing from once to 8 times a week with a mixture of land and water sessions, depending on which boat you're in and how seriously they take the rowing.

To make the blues boxing squad you have to beat the current blues boxer in your weight division (if that makes sense), which is by no means easy. There are certainly more than enough boxers for the team.

hope that's ok :smile:
Reply 2
smilepea
In writing my response I'm assuming you're male, hope that's ok.

College rugby teams tent to train anything from nothing to twice a week (as far as I can gather anyway) and matches about once a week (if that). You'd have to be very good to make the blues squad but they also run an U21's and U20's team so you might be able to get on one of those (my wild stab it the dark educated guess is that you should be of a county level standard to make one of those teams)

College rowing squads train from any thing from once to 8 times a week with a mixture of land and water sessions, depending on which boat you're in and how seriously they take the rowing.

To make the blues boxing squad you have to beat the current blues boxer in your weight division (if that makes sense), which is by no means easy. There are certainly more than enough boxers for the team.

hope that's ok :smile:

thanks for the reply :smile:, and you guessed right haha, i am male

interesting stuff.. particularly the boxing selection bit. any idea if there is any training for boxers yet to make the blues squad? the site doesn't seem to mention this.

i know it'll vary according to individual timetables etc, but in your experience, what's the most sport people are able to fit in?

do you know where i can see college tables for things like rugby etc?
Reply 3
most people try rowing at some point - and often it involves getting up **** early in the morning so can be fit around virtually any timetable

other than that though it is pretty easy to fit in anything you want to, most people who do do sports tend to do more than one (to varying degrees of commitment obviously)

i'm not sure about non-blues boxing (though i'm interested in it as well) but i'd have thought that provided you were of a reasonable sparring standard they'd let you train with the blues squad if you asked them. For novices I have no idea
Reply 4
clockwork__

interesting stuff.. particularly the boxing selection bit. any idea if there is any training for boxers yet to make the blues squad? the site doesn't seem to mention this.

i know it'll vary according to individual timetables etc, but in your experience, what's the most sport people are able to fit in?

From what I gather from my friend trying to train with the boxing team is tricky (but I've never really had a in depth talk about it)

It is really personal as to how much sport you can fit it, I have a friend that is ridiculous and managed to play uni water polo and row 1st college boat. But every club says that your degree comes first, it's important to remember that.
Reply 5
clockwork__

http://www.crazyaboutsport.com/csAction.do?viewName=viewFrameworkElement&frameworkElement.id=132

Division 1 and the top few in division 2 are pretty decent, below that they're crap, not that you wouldn't enjoy playing with them. John's are by far the best team and have been for yonks.

The amount of sport you can fit in depends on how seriously you take them, last year I did college rowing and volleyball but doing anything else would probably have led to failing my exams. Now I'm taking rowing a lot more seriously so will probably have to drop the volleyball so I actually have some recovery time.
Reply 6
If you let it, rowing can take over your life...

:biggrin:
Reply 7
Are there any Badminton Courts?

Latest

Trending

Trending