Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just tried a sample BMAT test (Aptitude and Skills) from the BMAT website, and i got 77% despite not attempting to teach myself anything for it (i got all the maths stuff right and most of the stuff on underlying themes of arguments wrong) Is that a decent score because it seemed really easy!? and its still a year and a half before I'd have to do the test...

ReputationRep:
    in order to get in you need to be scoring about 90%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperTycoon)
    I just tried a sample BMAT test (Aptitude and Skills) from the BMAT website, and i got 77% despite not attempting to teach myself anything for it (i got all the maths stuff right and most of the stuff on underlying themes of arguments wrong) Is that a decent score because it seemed really easy!? and its still a year and a half before I'd have to do the test...
    The sample paper on their website is nowhere near as difficult as the real thing. It is good practice but don't be fooled, the real thing will be a hell of alot harder.

ReputationRep:
    the real thing was nasty, hated it and only did average, but rvc still wanted me, luvly ppl!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelbycakes)
    in order to get in you need to be scoring about 90%
    In order to get in where??

ReputationRep:
    to oxford, and the practice papers are there to fool you! it was really hard, really really really hard

ReputationRep:
    try sitting it with jet lag - maybe booking a holiday to malaysia to arrive back 2 days before was not the best idea but considering i was conviced i whould be asleep i did ok!! doing all sceinces helped - but then it amuses GCSE knowledge - ha!!!!
    it is quite solid and the essays are really weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northern_lass)
    the real thing was nasty, hated it and only did average, but rvc still wanted me, luvly ppl!

When I was at the RVC openday they said that they were only just starting to really make use of the BMAT test to back up entrence requirements for the next intake. They do however look at how you perform in the interview, and who you are as a person, so which to my mind these are more importent than the BMAT.

TT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northern_lass)
    Yeh my BMAT scores were average as well but still got offers from RVC and Bristol.
    Having said that, Cambridge said their main reason for not giving me a place was my BMAT score was lower than expected and it didn't do me any favors in the pool either.
    Definitly for Cambridge and Oxford you need to be scoring high

ReputationRep:
    to oxford, and the practice papers are there to fool you! it was really hard, really really really hard
    What I mean is you don't need to get 90% to get in anywhere, for oxford it's based on your percentage of GCSE A* grades and how ell you do compared to the rest ofthe country. So based on your GCSEs you could need to be in the top 80%, or the top 20% of people who took the BMAT.

I agree though, it was hard.

ReputationRep:
    It's true a high score will improve you're chances but it is just one factor in a combination of things, like you're P.S., predicted grades and the interview. When I sat it I thought the main difficulty was the timing, it wasn't the actual questions that were hard (its all at Higher GCSE level) but doing 35 of them in 1 hour was. Thats where the really 'special' people are sorted out, as you don't have to be clever to answer them, but to work them out in a very limited amount of time is very difficult. If you are scoring 77% now (and you do the paper in 1 hour) then you will be near the very top percentile of people taking the test. Like I said however, its not the be all and end all, as people who scored better than me on it did not get into UCL or Oxford because of poor interviews or P.S.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.