Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey I've got the edexcel german unit 6 exam on thursday, and I am studying for the writing in registers section. As German A level hasn't been sat every year at my school i only have the 2001 and 2004 past papers does anybody have the 2003 and 2002 papers?! Am trying to look at what topics have come up already just to see! The Edexcel website is absolutely useless as well, which doesnt really help :cool:

Thanks very much hopefully someone can help

ReputationRep:
    Die Wende hasn't come up for a while...

The past paper I've just been looking at dealt with the 1999 eclipse, underage driving and in 6c,

I think the most important thing with the registers section is knowing how to write the essay though, and knowing things like 'therefore' and 'however'. That may just be me trying to avoid the fact I may have to write in detail about something like Sterbehilfe or Rauchen though,

ReputationRep:
    thanks v much! I'm dreading it sooo much! It s so hard to revise for it, thats the worst thing really :s I'm just learning bits of vocab.... kinda hoping Die Umwelt comes up, although it's boring i think its poss the easiest. If cloning comes up i'm stuffed or politics, i know nothing bout tht either

ReputationRep:
    Politics is easier then it sounds, because it's just coming up with one or two things for something and one or two against. Although I hardly think they'll quiz us on the policies of Bundeskanzler Schröder. I'm really glad we get a choice...and if worst comes to worst, we have the TBAs to fall back on.

We havn't had Umwelt in a while, you'll be pleased to know.

ReputationRep:
    excellent!! really hopin tht appears then! Have looked a bit at social problems etc, so tht wldnt be toooo bad the reading and listening are also pooey to revise for, spose vocab is once again the main thing

ReputationRep:
    Sadly so. Vocab, Vocab, Vocab...*drowns in Vocab lists*

Also, just noticed we're doing the same course at Uni, only in different directions from Nottingham!

ReputationRep:
    Urgh not liking vocab much hehe

so we are! how funny! I'm really looking forward to it, i think its a good combination are u doin edexcel history as well as German?? I hate edexcel!! theyve messed me round twice now so fingers crossed for this next lot of exams So as i go to Nottingham you'll be leaving it! Do u like the city?

ReputationRep:
    You can revise vocab lists to death, but then find in the exam they'll expect you to know the German for 'photosynthesis'. That's the annoying thing about vocab! I'm also trying to remind myself of all the little traps, such as when they put 'wohl' in a question, you have to make up the answer.

German & History do go well together. Especially as you've an advantage over other history students when dealing with anything from Prussia to the GDR. I'm doing AQA History in fact, but it really doesn't make all that great a difference, you drown in essays anyway! What periods are you studying? I'm doing Russia&Germany 1825-1939 and Britain 1841-1884.

I love Nottingham^^ You hear a lot about guns, but it's only certain parts of the city, far from the Uni campus, which is gorgeous and about five minutes walk from my house. It's not too big a city to be choking, but it's not small enough not to matter either.

ReputationRep:
    exactly! there's always one word that i don't know which completely throws me! Am going to eat the dictionary methinks...
    For history I'm doing Nazi Germany 1933-39 so german comes in handy hehe also studied Britain and the welfare state, and for extended cw i did elizabth and mary for some variety!
    Awww thats really nice to hear was trying not to let guns put me off, i'm sure its the same most places nowadays

ReputationRep:
    Mmm...Wörterbuchküche! It might be worth learning some complex words that can apply to more than one topic, so you can use them, please the Examiner, and hide the vocabulary falterings elsewhere!

Our course means we had to cover the Third Reich as well, only we can never go into that much detail, so it's a little all-over-the-place. I was the only one in my class who could actually spell National-Sozialistische Partei though, heehee!

Sadly so, but it's really lovely here. I've not heard of any real crime issues in or around the university for ages, if at all. Plus, you get a lovely park with sweet squirrels who love to follow you around. That's not the absolutely huge park which is across the road, though...basically, a lot of park and you're in a thriving city at the same time. If I didn't already live here, Nottingham would have been my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really think of any of those types of words :s having a bit of a mind block which isn't good.... am trying to learn standard phrases: es steht immer schon fest, dass... es wird behauptet dass.... ist das zu rechtfertigen? usw but don't feel as if i'm progressing hehehe
    what history areas do you want to look at at uni?? there's so many compared to A level it'll be fab! and in german i want to avoid the literature as much as poss :s
    i understand tht a lot of my friends have applied to UEA which isnt far from where i live, but i want to go somewhere a bit furthwer and try sommat new

ReputationRep:
    What the **** is the Wende?? Everyone keeps mentioning it and i'm damn nervous enough about tomorrow without this!! *trembles*

The only Wende I can think of is 1943 = the Wendepunkt of the war... ie when German started losing

And speaking of not knowing vocab...
    Right before her French interpreting, my friend Em did a practice run where she was expected to know the words for "tartan" and "banoffee pie" :eek:

ReputationRep:
    'Die Wende' is the reunification, when the East joined the West. I suspect it may turn up in Unit 6, as it hasn't recently.

At Holloway, most of the German is literature. I was really hoping for History too. The History itself at Holloway seems pretty general for Joint Honours (such as 'Europe 1600-1800'). I'd have liked to do modern (GDR, USSR) and some dark age (Saxons!), but I'm not at all sure I can.

I didn't want to go Holloway, I was all set out for Edinburgh. I'd applied and been accepted for Japanese though (what was I thinking?), and they wouldn't let me switch to any of their History degrees, so I had to reapply through UCAS Extra, and Holloway and Nottingham were the only two available. I'm still mourning.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt the Wende will come up, for recently they have scrapped all the specific references to target country.

ReputationRep:
    Just gimme some Umwelt baby and i'll be smiling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cartouche)

I didn't want to go Holloway, I was all set out for Edinburgh. I'd applied and been accepted for Japanese though (what was I thinking?), and they wouldn't let me switch to any of their History degrees, so I had to reapply through UCAS Extra, and Holloway and Nottingham were the only two available. I'm still mourning.
    i've heard loads of really nice things about Holloway though my friends sister went there and LOVED it I bet you'll have an abfab time, Edinburgh is really far away and cold! Londons really central and u get that whole experience

Hehe am also keeping my fingers crossed for the environment!! It would make me very happy, or Abtreibung - that was my oral topic! V true about making it less specific, i feel this is better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richy Rich$$)
    I seriously doubt the Wende will come up, for recently they have scrapped all the specific references to target country.
    Even in the Reading & Listening? I'd thought it had been a fundamental part of the course, or at least, that's what our German teacher has told us. Of course, we're not going to be asked about how the fall of the GDR fits into glasnost, but rather, how things have changed. I'm also sure we had contemporary reference in our AS exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melone)
    i've heard loads of really nice things about Holloway though my friends sister went there and LOVED it I bet you'll have an abfab time, Edinburgh is really far away and cold! Londons really central and u get that whole experience

Hehe am also keeping my fingers crossed for the environment!! It would make me very happy, or Abtreibung - that was my oral topic! V true about making it less specific, i feel this is better!
    I like the cold, and I don't trust London. I'm going to have to get over that now though. I'm telling myself I'll have a nice time when I'm there, but I've little to celebrate yet, especially as the RHUL board on this site is pretty much dead

It seems everyone is hoping for Umwelt! Well, except me, but that's because I know a lot about Europe, and am hoping for a question relating to it, although there have been questions relating to it recently, so I'm not overly hopeful.

ReputationRep:
    isn't the uni slightly out of London? and a campus? if so thats the best of both worlds really and uni's what u make of it i guess, and the ppl u meet so i bet you'll have an abfab time
    Errrgh i wish this exam was over in many ways its my worst exam because i'm not 100% sure how to revise. have done myself flash cards of useful phrases :s

ReputationRep:
    That should help a lot^^ Just work out how to slot in the phrases, and try to use examples of passives and reported speech if you can, just to show off! Also, the structure of the answers in the first parts of 6a and 6b should help!

It's not so the best of both worlds, because it's all or nothing: London or Egham. It's either nothing happening or everything happening, with nothing in between except Staines.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.