Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel German anyone?! Past papers... watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, same here. I'm all over the place when I speak >_<

ReputationRep:
    i always get confused about verbs especially, and genders! As if they have 16 words for 'the'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melone)
    aww what are u studyin at uni Richy Rich? Not German?! It's kinda odd that we've just completed the whole 2 years... that sounds weird :s i know what i mean hehe

i'm quite good with vocab, but my written German is much better thn spoken, I find it hard to think up complex stuff with the write grammar as I'm speaking- kinda hoping uni will sort this!

No, im hopefully going to study French and Spanish next year. You?

I know what you mean about speaking german tho'. I can never work out in my head -all the difference clauses and verbs going to the end. We had to do interpreting for our oral exam and it was really hard, they always had about 3 sub clauses within each phrase, and i couldnt work it out quick enough

ReputationRep:
    aww excellent cool beans! Am hopin 2 do German and History, but i'd like to learn another language from scrap, stuck between spanish, italian, french or japanese!
    Oooh quite glad i didn't do interpreting now... i just had to argue and that was quite hard :s What's most annoying is that the Germans make speaking English look so easy!

ReputationRep:
    I had to argue as well! I'm also trying to learn a new language from scrap, and it's between French, Russian, Japanese and Norwegian. Hopefully I'll be okay in the end.

ReputationRep:
    What i like about German is how you can 'make up' verbs if you know the noun and vice versa

Totally stuck for a verb for to sum up.... hmmm Zusammenfassung... zusammenfassen - score!! that was nice in the middle of an exam :p:

ReputationRep:
    In some ways I'm really tempted by French, because its one of the major languages, but thn tht cld be said 4 spanish too :s I've done a year of japanese already tho, and loved it! It's so fun and the writing is really really cool. Was put off Russian by the fact that it has 7 cases :s norwegian sounds really cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    What i like about German is how you can 'make up' verbs if you know the noun and vice versa

Totally stuck for a verb for to sum up.... hmmm Zusammenfassung... zusammenfassen - score!! that was nice in the middle of an exam :p:
    hehe yes defo! and i love english sounding verbs - explodieren etc, i always just try and make an english verb sound german if i dont no!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melone)
    In some ways I'm really tempted by French, because its one of the major languages, but thn tht cld be said 4 spanish too :s I've done a year of japanese already tho, and loved it! It's so fun and the writing is really really cool. Was put off Russian by the fact that it has 7 cases :s norwegian sounds really cool!

7 cases! :eek: i thought latin was bad enough with just 5. Tho' apparently Finnish has about 11.

ReputationRep:
    Norwegian is Germanic, so it really helps if you know German, although there's a wider gulf then with Dutch. You've done a year of Japanese? *envy*

ReputationRep:
    hehe yup Russian is case mad! I'd heard tht bout Finnish as well... maybe I won't try that anytime soon!

Japanese is great! Its basically based around the vowels - a i u e o and then constantants ka ki ku ke ko etc i loved it! And the grammar is really easy

ReputationRep:
    *nodnod* It's nice knowing hiragana and katakana, because you read at least part of most Japanese texts and show off. Cyrillic would enable you to do the same I suppose. My German teacher is also fluent in Russian, and has a scarily-strong Russian accent when demonstrating the hoardes of cases.

ReputationRep:
    wow thats really cool! my german teacher knew one word, which he thought meant 'cheese' (!) he's so sweet! I've unfortunately forgotten most of the katakana did it yr 12 and then the teacher left so cldnt continue

ReputationRep:
    I just learnt it myself over late November because it was interesting *shrugs*
    Whilst I know pratically no Russian, I do love the sound of it, and a lot of my made-up place names sound Russian ('Kathzhka Borzva')

My History teacher keeps calling Wilhelm the 'Käse' rather than 'Kaiser'. I guess he was a Big Cheese though.

ReputationRep:
    hehe lol! When I first started learning german on my first school trip i got 'kaese' and 'kasse' confused in the supermarket!
    awww wow it is really interesting, am quite tempted to pick it up again :s but then i really feel like i shld learn french for some reason

ReputationRep:
    ...because France is closer to us and has kinder grammar?

ReputationRep:
    lol yes quite possibly, spose its more widely spoken... but same for spanish i guess

ReputationRep:
    True. I have no desire to learn Spanish for some reason though.

ReputationRep:
    i thoguht it might be intersting historically, during tudor time etc but tht was the only reason i cld think of!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.