Turn on thread page Beta

Did anyone take flute exam before?or other instrumental exams? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, im gonna take flute Grade 5 exam (Associated Board) in summer. did anyone take that kind of exam before? wot is it like,especially for aural?
    its my first time to take grade exam for flute. im kinda nervous for aural coz i never did proper training before, just some practice by myself.

thank u!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I did violin exams up to grade 5 and flute to grade 7 (the last flute exam I did was a couple of years ago now).
    Don't worry about it is my best advice! I always worried about the violin ones but with the flute, I enjoyed them much more so did much better. The way mine worked was I played my 3 pieces (with a pianist accompanying for 2) and the examiner wrote down comments and marks about them. Then I did the sight reading exercise, which isn't too bad but I'd suggest you do some practise if you haven't already - you can buy sight reading books from music shops which will give you an idea of the standard they'll be expecting. The examiner specified some scales and arpeggios to play (at least one of each sort, you know, major, minor harmonic, minor melodic, chormatic, etc.).
    As for aural, I always hated them! I don't remember the exact specification for grade 5 (you can probably find out somewhere on the internet - try google if you don't already know) but it probably has a part where you have to comment on some piece of music the examiner plays for you, a part where you have to sing back a tune and a couple of other things. I'd recommend you look up exactly what'll be expected so you have an idea what you need to know. In spite of that though, they're not all that bad. I'm hopeless at singing so I never did too well in those bits but answering questions on a piece played by the examiner is OK. They tell you at the start roughly what the questions are going to be about so you know what to listen out for.
    Hope that helps a little. If you've got any more questions, just ask.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    thank u for replying. it helped me. im not worried about scales, arpeggios ... them lot. il buy a sight reading practice book to get the idea of the standard. im sure that wont be a problem.
    for singing back a tune, well, that worries me most. im not good at singing. loool. i got a practice book with cds. it got some practice pieces. i listened to the tunes over and over again and sang back. but i dont think it helps actually coz the one in the exam will be different from the ones i practised, theyl never be the same. so do u hav any other ways to practise that? thanks.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    To be honest, I could never get the hang of the singing. The advise I was given was to focus on the first note (hum it in your head!) while the tune is being played so you know where to start and try to remember the tune. It's difficult cos ideally you need a teacher who just goes through loads of different ones with you - practising the same ones becomes counterproductive after a while. Though even repeated practise didn't help me! At the end of the day, the singing is only a small bit of the overall exam so I never really worried about it too much and spent time perfecting the bits I was good at (the pieces, scales, etc.) to compensate. I guess you could try and find some other pieces of music that you don't know (borrow classical CDs from your local library maybe) and try to practise singing them back. It won't be quite the same but it's the same sort of idea.
    Good luck!
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    thats a good idea. i think it worths trying. thank u very much....
    just a month to go, need to keep focusing on the ones im good at and try to improve the bad ones. lol
    thank u!!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you relax before the exam, and don't be worried about taking in water if that would help you. Make sure you know your pieces and scales back to front though. When you get nervous you'll forget them.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.