Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,
    I've got the chance to work at an architects office (In the south of england) during my gap year doing admin/secretarial work. Its an office that i've previously done work experience at and it was me that approached them about the possibility of a job there.
    I've been told its a possibility, but i've been asked how much i'd expect/hoped to be paided. And i've no idea where to start!!!
    How much would you think someone can get paid for that kindof work?? (on an annual basis) I've looked on job agencies online but the salaries are fairly varied, as low as £12000 pa to £19000+ pa. :s: i'm so confused what to say :s:
    If i say too high, there might not be a position available as they wouldn't be able to afford to pay me that much. If i say too low, i might not have enough to go travelling later on in the year or to save for uni. please help!!! :confused: :eek:
    thanks
    love rmyl xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmyl)
    How much would you think someone can get paid for that kindof work?? (on an annual basis) I've looked on job agencies online but the salaries are fairly varied, as low as £12000 pa to £19000+ pa. :s:
    they usually depend on experience.. so if you have no previous admin/sec experience (other than work experience) or specific qualifications then i think you should realistically go for the lower end of that band.

in the public sector (MOD) my summer job would have equated to ~£12,000 pa for their lowest ranking admin person - which i was perhaps slightly over-qualified for!

given they're asking you.. i'd say something like £14,000-£15,000..? but sound flexible & say that you've based this on general research etc. or look at jobs advertised that seem similar specifically in your area? because there may be regional differences.

hope this may help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    they usually depend on experience.. so if you have no previous admin/sec experience (other than work experience) or specific qualifications then i think you should realistically go for the lower end of that band.

in the public sector (MOD) my summer job would have equated to ~£12,000 pa for their lowest ranking admin person - which i was perhaps slightly over-qualified for!

given they're asking you.. i'd say something like £14,000-£15,000..? but sound flexible & say that you've based this on general research etc. or look at jobs advertised that seem similar specifically in your area? because there may be regional differences.

hope this may help.
    oh ok, yeah thanks that helped loads. I'll keep looking around at vacancies online.

I've not had previous admin experience at all, but have good interpersonal skills (i think, i hope) due to working in a restaurant for 2 years, and handling money, staff, etc. And i've already shown the firm my skills on the computer so hopefully that impressed :s: Thanks again xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmyl)
    oh ok, yeah thanks that helped loads. I'll keep looking around at vacancies online.

I've not had previous admin experience at all, but have good interpersonal skills (i think, i hope) due to working in a restaurant for 2 years, and handling money, staff, etc. And i've already shown the firm my skills on the computer so hopefully that impressed :s: Thanks again xxx
    Depends where you are in the country aswell, South East will obv be higher wages than Wales for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Depends where you are in the country aswell, South East will obv be higher wages than Wales for example.
    but the cost of living is much less in Wales, so it's all swings, roundabouts and London Weighting

ReputationRep:
    What kind of company is going to ask you how much you expect to geet paid?

(Original post by Shreerac)
    One that pays people?

ReputationRep:
    i overestimated at my recent job thing. although it's nothing compared to the same type of figures we're talking here, i put down £6/hr as an esimated wage; he told me it was actually £5.25/hr and actually apologised saying he was sorry but it was just company policy lol. it's not that much of a problem if u guess over, and if you guess under i'm sure they shouldn't exploit you too much. if anything, be generous in ur guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shreerac)
    Most job applications request your current/expected salary - it's not unusual.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.