Edexcel P5 Style Paper Heinneman Watch

This discussion is closed.
drw25
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
From my experience, these papers tend to be more difficult than past papers, but I'm trying this one anyway. I'm having a bit of trouble with the first(!) question:

" Given y = xsinh x, show that y(d²y/dx²) - (dy/dx)² = y²/x "

So, I started by taking logs and then differentiating both sides with respect to x twice, then multiplying through by y². This left me with y(d²y/dx²) - (dy/dx)² = y²[(2/x)cosh x - (1/x²)sinhx + cosh x·ln x]

Now the left hand side's correct and I've got the y² on the right, but something tells me the rest of that stuff doesn't equal 1/x... I've obviously gone horribly wrong somewhere - anybody fancy having a go and telling me the right way to do it?
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by drw25)
From my experience, these papers tend to be more difficult than past papers, but I'm trying this one anyway. I'm having a bit of trouble with the first(!) question:

" Given y = xsinh x, show that y(d²y/dx²) - (dy/dx)² = y²/x "

So, I started by taking logs and then differentiating both sides with respect to x twice, then multiplying through by y². This left me with y(d²y/dx²) - (dy/dx)² = y²[(2/x)cosh x - (1/x²)sinhx + cosh x·ln x]

Now the left hand side's correct and I've got the y² on the right, but something tells me the rest of that stuff doesn't equal 1/x... I've obviously gone horribly wrong somewhere - anybody fancy having a go and telling me the right way to do it?
Mine says y=x[SUP]x and worked fine when I did the question. Perhaps your book suffers from a printing error?
drw25
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hmm...looks like you're right - thanks! Mine was printed in 2001, they've probably fixed it since. I can do it no probs with x^x...
Yttrium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah; our teacher told us that was a printing error (mine read e^sinhx too...)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads