Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, just a past paper question I was looking it says

About five thousand years passed between the first extraction of iron and that of aluminium. Explain why?

Emmm do i need to know a bit of history here? lol

Thanks

From John Wood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo1)
    Hello, just a past paper question I was looking it says

About five thousand years passed between the first extraction of iron and that of aluminium. Explain why?

Emmm do i need to know a bit of history here? lol

Thanks

From John Wood
    Because you have have to use electrolysis to extract aluminium from it's ore bauxite Al203. Molten aluminium is dissolved in cyolite at a temperature of 2000 degrees then electrolysis can occur

Cathode:
    Al3+ + 3e- --> Al

Anode:
    2O2- --> O2 + 2e-

Whereas iron can be extracted from it's ore haematite by reduction with carbon and heat.

2Fe2CO3 + 3C --> 2Fe + 3CO2

Therefore aluminium took longer to extract because electricity needed to be invented and a way of dissolving Al2O3 before the extraction can occur. Whereas with iron you can simply use C as a reducing agent (note you can't reduce aluminium with carbon because Al is more reactive than carbon... i think that's the reason anyway)

In industry though, which is what i had to know, CO is used as the reducing agent.

Coke burns in oxygen:

C + O2 --> CO2

CO2 + C --> 2CO

Fe2CO3 + CO --> 2Fe + 2CO2

The SO2 reacts with CaCO3 forming **** when removed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Revenged)
    Because you have have to use electrolysis to extract aluminium from it's ore bauxite Al203. Molten aluminium is dissolved in cyolite at a temperature of 2000 degrees then electrolysis can occur

Cathode:
    Al3+ + 3e- --> Al

Anode:
    2O2- --> O2 + 2e-

Whereas iron can be extracted from it's ore haematite by reduction with carbon and heat.

2Fe2CO3 + 3C --> 2Fe + 3CO2

Therefore aluminium took longer to extract because electricity needed to be invented and a way of dissolving Al2O3 before the extraction can occur. Whereas with iron you can simply use C as a reducing agent (note you can't reduce aluminium with carbon because Al is more reactive than carbon... i think that's the reason anyway)

In industry though, which is what i had to know, CO is used as the reducing agent.

Coke burns in oxygen:

C + O2 --> CO2

CO2 + C --> 2CO

Fe2CO3 + CO --> 2Fe + 2CO2

The SO2 reacts with CaCO3 forming **** when removed.
    just a couple of typos:-

the limestone (CaCO3) decomposes in the hot furnace to CaO which then reacts with the silicon dioxide impurity in the iron ore to give calcium silicate (****) which floats on the molten iron and is tapped off.

The equation should read Fe2O3 without the carbon atom!

ReputationRep:
    How many marks for this question mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    the limestone (CaCO3) decomposes in the hot furnace to CaO which then reacts with the silicon dioxide impurity in the iron ore to give calcium silicate (****) which floats on the molten iron and is tapped off.
    Cheers, i forgot that actually!

ReputationRep:
    Great explanation Revenged! (pity about the typos )

ReputationRep:
    i know, colour coded and everythin... i wish i was paid to do this, lol!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.