ReputationRep:
    An artistic science

ReputationRep:
    science, though it looks every so pretty when it comes together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    An artistic science

good answer!

But is it really a science? Only with a science you're studying things, doing experiments... pure maths seems to be maths for maths' sake. Don't really know how I'm trying to argue this to be honest... One of my teachers had a theory that maths at a high level was an art and I wondered if anyone else shared the same view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    good answer!

But is it really a science? Only with a science you're studying things, doing experiments... pure maths seems to be maths for maths' sake. Don't really know how I'm trying to argue this to be honest... One of my teachers had a theory that maths at a high level was an art and I wondered if anyone else shared the same view
    Maths at a high level is an art because only ceertain people enjoy that type of art, same goes for science though. I reckon it is a new type i.e. Maths

ReputationRep:
    It requires just as much imagination, skill and brilliance as any other art, and can be appreciated equally much as well...

ReputationRep:
    Its a science

ReputationRep:
    (...) it is certain that the real function of art is to increase our self-consciousness: to make us more aware of what we are, and therefore of what the Universe in which we live really is. And since mathematics, in its own way, also performs this function, it is not only aesthetically charming but profoundly significant. It is an art, and a great art.
    - John W. N. Sullivan

Hmm, I'm not sure that the premiss in the question, that science and art are disjoint and exhaustive over academia, is valid. I'd tend towards the view of 2776, that pure mathematics is neither art nor science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogtanian)
    Hmm, I'm not sure that the premiss in the question, that science and art are disjoint and exhaustive over academia, is valid. I'd tend towards the view of 2776, that pure mathematics is neither art nor science.
    I think it's a science - proving hypothesis and modelling things.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    I think it's a science - proving hypothesis and modelling things.

Ben
    surely thats applied not pure maths

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a subject based upon logic. The arts are generally taken to be based upon creativity (for want of a better word).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    surely thats applied not pure maths
    Proof occurs quite a lot in pure maths! I suppose the second bit was a bit applied, wasn't it? But it just goes to show that the maths CAN be applied - like science. Just try and apply a painting to something useful!!!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worried)
    Maths is a subject based upon logic. The arts are generally taken to be based upon creativity (for want of a better word).
    I'd say they're both, essentially, based on imagination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I'd say they're both, essentially, based on imagination.
    Ingenuity, certainly.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Ingenuity, yes - but it can hardly be said that arts such as literature and painting are based upon the same processes and logical inferences involved in pure maths.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for an art. It's more than just learning things, there's something... else, about it, compared to sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ++Hex++)
    I'd go for an art. It's more than just learning things, there's something... else, about it, compared to sciences.
    It's a science!!!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    It's a science!!!

Ben
    Why?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 7, 2003
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.