It's a science!!!

Ben

and yet it is also an art...
Reply 21
Linda
and yet it is also an art...

to no greater or lesser extent than science
Reply 22
So it's 50% art and 50% science exactly?
Reply 23
edders
to no greater or lesser extent than science

but pure math, maths for math's sake, may be closer to the true meaning of art (and perhaps the original meaning of art, i.e. skill) than to science...

"The mathematician’s patterns, like the painter’s or the poet’s, must be beautiful; the ideas, like the colours or words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test; there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics . . .
It may be very hard to define mathematical beauty, but that is just as true of beauty of any kind-we may not know quite what we mean by a beautiful poem, but that does not prevent us from recognizing one when we read it."
-G. H. Hardy
Reply 24
Linda
but pure math, maths for math's sake, may be closer to the true meaning of art (and perhaps the original meaning of art, i.e. skill) than to science...

"The mathematician’s patterns, like the painter’s or the poet’s, must be beautiful; the ideas, like the colours or words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test; there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics . . .
It may be very hard to define mathematical beauty, but that is just as true of beauty of any kind-we may not know quite what we mean by a beautiful poem, but that does not prevent us from recognizing one when we read it."
-G. H. Hardy

Lovely quote. :smile:
Reply 25
"The mathematician’s patterns, like the painter’s or the poet’s, must be beautiful; the ideas, like the colours or words, must fit together in a harmonious way."

But does the above not apply for the various thereoms in science? Could it not be said that the most important equations and ideas in Physics have a kind of elegance and beauty of their own? And does that make the subject an art?
Reply 26
Pure maths isn't science or art. When pure maths strays into questions like what is 0^0? what is 0/0? Why is i^i a real number? it clearly shows that it has no scientific purpose; in other words, it bears no meaningful relationship to the real world.

If you want to call philosophy an 'art,' then I would say that pure maths was closest to an art as it deals with very abstract questions. However, pure maths cannot be likened to literature, painting or drama since pure maths is concerned with precision whereas literature etc.. is based very much upon personal interpretation.

I would say that pure maths is a very abstract subject, which cannot really be categorised as an art or science.
Reply 27
MadNatSci
Well, is it?

It's a philosophy
Reply 28
elpaw
It's a philosophy

Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules.
Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.
Reply 29
theone
I think it's unfair to say pure maths has no relation to the real world, the use of RSA encryption for example.

It does have applications, but that's not why people do it. :biggrin:
Reply 30
muffe
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules.
Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

what's your sig about?
Reply 31
elpaw
what's your sig about?

mathematical proof that sex=fun
Reply 32
muffe

Do you get any with sigs like that?
Reply 33
theone

being the only girl in the maths HL class, yeah...
Reply 34
theone

lol
Reply 35
muffe
being the only girl in the maths HL class, yeah...

Well, that's shut me up :smile:
Reply 36
muffe

aaahhhhhh didn't see it
Reply 37
theone

u should have read her profile :biggrin:
Reply 38
theone

I was just kidding... My personal life is, well, personal... But I am the only girl in maths HL now :tongue:
Reply 39
muffe

so what is the integral with respect to?

Latest