The Student Room Group

Would you rather be an unhappy human or a happy pig?

Poll

Pig or Human?

The pig rolls about all day, eats its food, and is very happy with that.

The human has infinite worries, much stress and has to work hard in his 9-5 office job. He does, however, have a much greater awareness of the world, high ambitions and potential to achieve much greater things.

Which would you rather be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:unsure: The human?
Reply 2
unhappy human
Reply 3
From a human perspective I think it's difficult to honestly answer 'pig', but they don't know any different, so it'd definitely be better in some ways.
Reply 4
won't the pig eventually be slaughtered? I'd say human
Reply 5
Lefty Leo
:unsure: The human?

I wouldn't say it was obvious - you'd give up eternal happiness in favor of... whatever humans have.
Reply 6
Neither, I'd be a content man-bear-pig.
Reply 7
Humans have potential to go from unhappy to happy. So. Human.
random. But a happy pig!
Reply 9
nexttime
I wouldn't say it was obvious - you'd give up eternal happiness in favor of... whatever humans have.

As a pig, the limit of your life is rolling around in mud and eating.

Maybe i wouldn't know any better as a pig, but i quite like being able to think, to speak, to argue, to laugh, to love, to want to make a difference .. and i think i'd much rather take all the problems that came with.
I wanna be a spiderpig and do whatever a spiderpig does :frown:
Reply 11
The pig, provided I have no concept of the human's general superiority and am not about to be slaughtered.
Happy pig, no doubt. I'd probably rather be a unhappy pig, to be honest! :biggrin:

(Although I doubt that such animals have as great a capacity for sustained melancholy as humans -- unless, of course, they're in physical pain.)
Reply 13
Lefty Leo
As a pig, the limit of your life is rolling around in mud and eating.

Maybe i wouldn't know any better as a pig, but i quite like being able to think, to speak, to argue, to laugh, to love, to want to make a difference .. and i think i'd much rather take all the problems that came with.

I'd probably agree, but writing this thread it was quite hard to describe why you would ever want to be human (in this context) - what use is love, ambition etc if you are care-free anyway?
Reply 14
lm_wfc
Neither, I'd be a content man-bear-pig.

You mean like, half man, half bear-pig or half pig, half man-bear? :p:
Reply 15
This always confused me. It's part of J.S. Mill's Utilitarianism...

"Would you rather be a sad Socrates or a a happy pig?", which is basically the same question as the OP's. Mill stated that it'd be better to be a sad Socrates - though I don't know why...

Personally, I see it as the hassle of knowledge. Would you rather know that a comet was heading towards earth and about to destroy us tomorrow, or would you rather live your life without this worry? Surely being happy is what's important?

Would appreciate views that support Mill's claim - preferably someone that's read it, as I just don't understand :dontknow:
Apparently I live like a pig anyway, so guess I'm halfway there.
If it was possible to become happy as a human, then a human. If I had the choice of being eternally miserable, then a pig. A pig that is kept on a nice pretty farm in the countryside lol, not a battery pig.

But if I was just a 'stressed' human, which is what I am now, then I can cope
human
Reply 19
Kneechuh
This always confused me. It's part of J.S. Mill's Utilitarianism...

"Would you rather be a sad Socrates or a a happy pig?", which is basically the same question as the OP's. Mill stated that it'd be better to be a sad Socrates - though I don't know why...

Personally, I see it as the hassle of knowledge. Would you rather know that a comet was heading towards earth and about to destroy us tomorrow, or would you rather live your life without this worry? Surely being happy is what's important?

Would appreciate views that support Mill's claim - preferably someone that's read it, as I just don't understand :dontknow:

I knew it was from somewhere. You could start a more intelligent sounding thread in D&D if you wanted some more detailed views.

Latest