Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else doing A2 Edexcel history? Specifically the exam on the Poor laws 1834-1939??
    I could really do with some useful discussion etc. on the inter-war legislation. Apart from my school everyone seems to have avoided such a boring topic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dptbrown13)
    Is anyone else doing A2 Edexcel history? Specifically the exam on the Poor laws 1834-1939??
    I could really do with some useful discussion etc. on the inter-war legislation. Apart from my school everyone seems to have avoided such a boring topic!
    im doing A2 Edexcel history but not that exam...sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Edexcel A2 History. My school did Poverty and the State (The Poor Laws) for Coursework instead of the exam.

For my exam i'm doing Hitler and the Nazi State.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doin hitler and the nazi state 1933-39

ReputationRep:
    i am also doing hitler and the nazi state, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Also doing Hitler. Poor Laws is awful! Most boring topic ever its like over 100 years too. Anyone doing Mussolini?? 1922-39

ReputationRep:
    dptbrown13, i'm doing both Hitler and the nazi state as well as Mussolini 1924-39

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dptbrown13)
    I am doing that exam as well. We must be the only two schools :mad: ! What help do you need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxox)
    I am doing that exam as well. We must be the only two schools :mad: ! What help do you need?

what would you consider were the main reasons for cutting back relief etc. in the interwar years like the means test??
    i think its like economic reasons such as mass unemployment because of war/great depression after 1929, and also political pressure from industrialists because of the rising costs, but anything else?
    this is the only bit really im unsure of feeling good about this exam really how about u?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunatly im doing that course as well m8.... damn right about boring part!

Theres really not a lot of content in the inter-war years, ur right about unemployment as by 1921, 1 in 7 were out of work (about 2 million people). In the 20s and 30s they did try and tackle the problems of the slums but lack of government action didnt really see that thru. In 29 they abolished the workhouses and poor law guardians. And as u said the depression caused them to cut dole and introduce means testing = more pushed in2 poverty.
    I did notice there were 2 govt actions at this time, both in 1934. The unemployment assistance board was set up as was the special areas act to help the most depressed areas. This was the same time when 150,000 people were living in poor law institutions. I think the last thing i can remember is the Jarrow March of '36 but 3 years later with the out break of the war there were plenty of jobs available.
    Hope that's some help but i think u answered ur own question really. They can't possibly set a question on just the inter-war years.... can they?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.