Turn on thread page Beta

The Consequence Of Not Writting Enough For An Exam Question??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok peeps! Heres a question for you!
    For each part of paper 2 of the AQA English Language GCSE paper you are advised to write 2 sides of A4. I choose the decribe question and just couldn't think what to write. I ran out of time and only wrote a page and around 5 lines. My handwriting is relatively small though (about 8 words per line).

How badly would not writing enough effect my grade? The content mark for the exam is out of 18, so considering this how many marks would be deducted due to this? Please let me know what you think!

Davror

ReputationRep:
    Hate to tell you this but that writing is not that small if youre doing 8 words a line (unless theyre really long words of course) i average about 8/9 words and consider myself to have fairly average to large handwriting.

But...as long as the content is there youll not get marked down for writing that much. You would get markeed down for only writing half a page but 1 and a bit should be fine aslong as the contents there. good luck

ReputationRep:
    Lol well to be honest when I said 8 words - thats normally 12 words on a line with four crossed out from mistakes! If you get me... Ok well cheers for the advise! Feel a little happier now! :rolleyes:

Davror

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davror)
    Ok peeps! Heres a question for you!
    For each part of paper 2 of the AQA English Language GCSE paper you are advised to write 2 sides of A4. I choose the decribe question and just couldn't think what to write. I ran out of time and only wrote a page and around 5 lines. My handwriting is relatively small though (about 8 words per line).

How badly would not writing enough effect my grade? The content mark for the exam is out of 18, so considering this how many marks would be deducted due to this? Please let me know what you think!

Davror
    I was in the same situation, but remember: its not quantity but quality that counts. Thats what im goin by anyway..lol

ReputationRep:
    its not quantity but quality that counts. Thats what im goin by anyway..lol
    I'm hoping that too. I only wrote about 1.5 pages per question, but i write about 16 words per line, so my writing's quite small.

ReputationRep:
    its all well and good saying quality not quantity, but you'd think they'd be more marks available if you wrote slighlty more. Anyway just because you didnt write what the exam board advised doesnt mean you're going to do any less well.

ReputationRep:
    I write 14/15 per line normally, and my writings really small and hard to read :eek:

I wouldnt think you would lose a huge number of marks for not writing much unles you simply didnt put everything in. Its the kind of thing that annoys me in other exams, eg. in a maths exam you can get 5 marks for writing relatively little on only a few lines, in a small amount of time. In English, however, those 5 marks must be structured and written well so you write more for the same number of marks.

What Im trying to say is that the 2 pages are really to make sure everythings there but it could all be there with fewer.

ReputationRep:
    Woa! Now thts small! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    average is about 12 or smt i tihnk cos its A4 paper aint it

ReputationRep:
    okay this is kinda weird and geeky...but for my second question in the english literature paper i wrote 6 sides. Ah well, then again you can say that my writing is slightly big. Another thing is i could have just talked about complete rubbish. Like someone said earlier its not the quantity, its the quality. :eek:

For the language paper i also wrote 6 sides. Infact i asked for extra paper when i had no more space to write. Again i could have talked about rubbish :confused:

I seem to be trying out every way to make myself miserable. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

When there is an exam and you dont feel like revising, try to look forward to something. For instance when i was doing my english language exam last week friday i kept reminding myself that in one and a half weeks time all this stress will be over. I'm also looking forward to 6th harry potter book which is boooosting my self esteem.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you say quality counts, but it didnt even get to do a proper ending because I ran out of time! At least it wasnt mid sentence...
    I guess that although I ran out of times, and only wrote just over 1 side of A4, I managed to include similes and metaphors, as well as some varied punctuation such as ";" and "...."

Maybe its not too bad! We'll see eh?

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to force techniques as long as it's well written in general. For A*s, examiners are looking for something written with flair. But who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Mate, I'm sure you'll be okay. You've managed at least a page and a bit. I don't think you'll get marked down for not doing two pages...At least you didn't write about something completely different to what the question asked, like I did. Examiners look not just for content, but sentence structure, how you've presented yourself, how you use your words, range of vocabulary, how the text flows, different language devices [semi-colons, commas, personification, similes, etc]. I'm sure, of all things, content matters very little, if not the least.

ReputationRep:
    OK this is really worrying...I wrote for OCR English Lang about a page with 7 words per line...that's nothing! Will I be penalised?

ReputationRep:
    basically it comes down to this, when writing your answer, theres certain criteria you have to fill. Not everything you write is going to fill criteria, some of it, will always be waffle. Therefore, the more you write, the more chance you have of filling that criteria, however in a beautifully worded and structured 1 page answer, you could still get full marks. They aint gonna look at it and say, oh 1.5 pages, no marks!
    Markers mark positively, ie they look at whats there, rather than whats not there

ReputationRep:
    Lol fair enough! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    lol u'll get less marks thats all :p: xoxo

ReputationRep:
    I talked to my teacher today and he said (particularly the AQA Paper 1, writing an advert for a car to young males)...they key is to write the amount of the text...(therefore, write an amount an advert should be)...this is to keep the effect and not "drag"

ReputationRep:
    Yeah lol - it was the describe question that I messed up on :eek:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.