u have missed the point completely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    ...and yet you believe in the Torah?
    Nope. I'm an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Nope. I'm an atheist.
    I beg my pardon then. I seem to remember you saying you were Jewish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    u have missed the point completely
    Yep. I'm not a fan of pointless obscure references.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I'm not a fan of pointless obscure references.
    then i shall apologize

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with religion and freedom of belief, but I don't get the idea of the country having an "official" religion these days.

In the old days, the Church used to be the most powerful thing around, especially the Catholic Church, and they just used it to control and influence the people by saying what was "right" and "wrong".

And what's wrong with being gay, anybody on here who sticks on the religious side in this debate?

ReputationRep:
    I beg my pardon then. I seem to remember you saying you were Jewish.
    Being Jewish is a matter of who your parents are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Being Jewish is a matter of who your parents are
    so you can be Jewish and Athiest? By your mother being a Jew but you not believing any of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    so you can be Jewish and Athiest? By your mother being a Jew but you not believing any of it?
    Well Tek is, he swings religions as it suits him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Anti Christian no, hate-filled no, bitter no. I am anti the Christian Church because it is so bigoted.

Why does our nation sponsor a religion which believes that just because a two thousand year old bedtime story says being gay is wrong it must be so? Surely there is nothing wrong with being gay?!
    Something of a generalisation there, and since there's no such thing as the Christian Church I begin to think you maybe arent very well informed on the issue.
    You should be aware that there are Christians of many denominations who do not perceive homosexuality to be wrong (often but not always drawn from the ranks of non-Biblical literalists, though actually much of what the Bible says on the topic can be interpreted in a number of ways) and also that there are many gay and lesbian Christian groups who would also see your stance as over generalised and unhelpful.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't bring the bible into this. This was a perfectly good discussion before that. Let us simply leave it out shall we...
    The bloody bible... gawd what a waste of time it was reading that (twice)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Please don't bring the bible into this. This was a perfectly good discussion before that. Let us simply leave it out shall we...
    How can you say that? What's the point in having a conversation on this subject, without bringing the Bible into it. And please don't call it a waste of time: I'm not someone who goes to church every week, or pray's everyday, but I find that a little offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    What? If the discussion gets onto the subject of Christianity, then it makes sense to bring the Bible into it since for many denominations its the most important part of their belief. What you think of the Bible is an irrelevance- dont let your views of it blind you to the fact that its obviously relevant to the discussion. Gawd, some people are daft.
    And before anyone starts, as a lapsed-ish Catholic I'm not exactly a Bible fiend either.

ReputationRep:
    I had two proselytizers on my door step the other week. I listened patiently and wished them well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    How can you say that? What's the point in having a conversation on this subject, without bringing the Bible into it. And please don't call it a waste of time: I'm not someone who goes to church every week, or pray's everyday, but I find that a little offensive.
    (Original post by lala)
    What? If the discussion gets onto the subject of Christianity, then it makes sense to bring the Bible into it since for many denominations its the most important part of their belief. What you think of the Bible is an irrelevance- dont let your views of it blind you to the fact that its obviously relevant to the discussion. Gawd, some people are daft.
    And before anyone starts, as a lapsed-ish Catholic I'm not exactly a Bible fiend either.
    My apologies for that one. Agreed, the bible does play a part in the discussion to some degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Something of a generalisation there, and since there's no such thing as the Christian Church I begin to think you maybe arent very well informed on the issue.
    You should be aware that there are Christians of many denominations who do not perceive homosexuality to be wrong (often but not always drawn from the ranks of non-Biblical literalists, though actually much of what the Bible says on the topic can be interpreted in a number of ways) and also that there are many gay and lesbian Christian groups who would also see your stance as over generalised and unhelpful.
    The Christian Church = The Catholic / Protestant Church. Ie not the Jewish Church.

Are those denominations the established religon? Hmm no. So shut up.

The Bible is a 2000 year old bedtime story. How anyone can assume that it has a basis in moral fact is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    The Christian Church = The Catholic / Protestant Church. Ie not the Jewish Church.

Are those denominations the established religon? Hmm no. So shut up.

The Bible is a 2000 year old bedtime story. How anyone can assume that it has a basis in moral fact is beyond me.
    What a phenomenally stupid reply. I thought you were capable of better then that!
    The fact remains that you were wrong in suggesting that there is a 'Christian Church'. You'd look better if you just accepted that. Your attempt at another definition made even less sense- first of all I'm not sure Jews would take kindly to you using the term 'Jewish Church' since thats not a Jewish word for either the faith or pace of worship (I asked my Jewish housemate who said it made no sense). Also, all thats not Jewish isnt Christian- hence "ie not the Jewish Church was an idiotic thing to write. Either you're very stupid or you just put that very badly (or both). Whichever, you were wrong.
    Your second point- what the f**k are you talking about? Do you mean Catholicism and Protestantism? By the way, there's no such thing as the Protestant Church either. There are several of them instead, not just one monolithic structure, and one is indeed the established religion here.
    I dont attatch colossal value to the Bible either but thats irrelevant when you we're discussing the fact that there isn't one single Christian Church. You evidently don't know much about Christian denominations either, so I'd stop trying to bluff if I were you- you've shown yourself up to some degree already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I think in this context Jewish is a race rather than a religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    What a phenomenally stupid reply. I thought you were capable of better then that!
    The fact remains that you were wrong in suggesting that there is a 'Christian Church'. You'd look better if you just accepted that. Your attempt at another definition made even less sense- first of all I'm not sure Jews would take kindly to you using the term 'Jewish Church' since thats not a Jewish word for either the faith or pace of worship (I asked my Jewish housemate who said it made no sense). Also, all thats not Jewish isnt Christian- hence "ie not the Jewish Church was an idiotic thing to write. Either you're very stupid or you just put that very badly (or both). Whichever, you were wrong.
    Your second point- what the f**k are you talking about? Do you mean Catholicism and Protestantism? By the way, there's no such thing as the Protestant Church either. There are several of them instead, not just one monolithic structure, and one is indeed the established religion here.
    I dont attatch colossal value to the Bible either but thats irrelevant when you we're discussing the fact that there isn't one single Christian Church. You evidently don't know much about Christian denominations either, so I'd stop trying to bluff if I were you- you've shown yourself up to some degree already.
    Sorry layla he does actually know about Christina denominations, Tek is just attention seeking (I love you really mouse) and not very good at putting sentances together very well. It is just a rant against the christian religion as opposed to hte church.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.