Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anybody except my pet cat, who thinks the Queen is in a position of power.

The more educated populous know the complicated system, it is more likely that by the time the Queen decides to hang peasants and abolish parliament, we would have been taken over by aliens. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    I think Princess Diana should have been Queen.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear god, no. Way too sentimental.

ReputationRep:
    I think Princess Diana should have been Queen.

Oh dear god, no. Way too sentimental
    An example of a typical conversation - see, the British love their meaningful, serious government, this type of conversation occurs daily, in all corners, so I appeal to all republicans, jealous french and americans - - We Love Our Queen!

ReputationRep:
    There really should be a 'don't care either way' option...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astor)
    An example of a typical conversation - see, the British love their meaningful, serious government, this type of conversation occurs daily, in all corners, so I appeal to all republicans, jealous french and americans - - We Love Our Queen!
    I love her Majesty!!! She is a wonderful Monarch, and I hope that she has many long, happy and healthy years on the throne, and may she be honored and reign in all of her realms, especially Canada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvincitus)
    I love her Majesty!!! She is a wonderful Monarch, and I hope that she has many long, happy and healthy years on the throne, and may she be honored and reign in all of her realms, especially Canada.
    Yikes! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    He he giddy.

I'm all for robbing 'em
    Since you have no respect for other people's property, you should be outlawed and a price put on your head, dead or alive. Release the hounds.

ReputationRep:
    Real kings go out on horses in battle and make laws whenever they wish. The current situation is basically a tourist attraction and nothing more. It's stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly we dont have a 'real king' because we have a Queen. And no real Queen goes out to battle. Prince Andrew faught in the Falklands war and i'm sure Harry or William will do similar tours. So it isn't stupid its logical. And as for making laws whenever they wish, I don't think a real King made a law for the fun of it, and any law passed must have Her Majesty's consent, besides, having a constitutional monarchy, it isn't her job to make laws now.

Its basically just a tourist attraction? It is a tourist feature, but its also a link to Britains rich heritage, you ever had ANYTHING to do with the armed forces? they are taught loyalty, they wouldn't be quite as loyal to President Blair. You telling me that Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, etc etc see the Queen as a tourist attraction when they have probably never met her? No, they see the monarchy, or the 'crown' as a link to their history, and a connection to their culture inherited from the UK, many Aussies, Canadians are very happy with that special link.

We have something very special in this country with regards to our colonial/commonwealth links and the influence the monarchy has, it is ungrateful, disrespectful people who cannot comprehend just what we have, so they moan.

You dont know what you've lost until its gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeve)
    Real kings go out on horses in battle and make laws whenever they wish. The current situation is basically a tourist attraction and nothing more. It's stupid.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    E II R can be calculated into 666 :
    666 = 37 x 18, R is number 18 in the alphabet,
    and E, letter No 5, and the 2 ( from II )
    can be calculated into 37 in the following way: 3=5-2 ; 7=5+2.

Calculating ASCII-numbers of the "Queen":
    E=69, L=76, I=73, Z=90, A=65, B=66, E=69, T=84, H=72
    => 69+76+73+90+65+66+69+84+72+=664
    ELIZABETH II => 664 + 2 = 666

ReputationRep:
    Off with their respective heads!

Abolish!

I don't like Charles, smarmy wastrel.

ReputationRep:
    Kard, I have been around on vBulletin forums for a while, and that was the most pointless, useless, dangerously weird, post I have ever seen. I cannot understand how a human being has the energy to post as such. Beats me.

"Off with their respective heads!"

You have no respect, dont talk to me about 'respective'.

"Abolish!"

In your dreams, have you visited Britain to criticise it's political system?

"I don't like Charles, smarmy wastrel."

Well, he doesn't even know who you are, beat that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astor)
    Kard, I have been around on vBulletin forums for a while, and that was the most pointless, useless, dangerously weird, post I have ever seen. I cannot understand how a human being has the energy to post as such. Beats me.

"Off with their respective heads!"

You have no respect, dont talk to me about 'respective'.
    Respect for what? A monarch, who has been instilled in their throne purely by the murders their ancestors committed, who is no better than any other person, yet receives a lot of money to do very little.

"Abolish!"

In your dreams, have you visited Britain to criticise it's political system?
    I live in australia, which is a constitutional monarchy also. With the same queen, etc. I don't mind her, but I would prefer the monarchy to end.
    "I don't like Charles, smarmy wastrel."

Well, he doesn't even know who you are, beat that.
    And I don't particularly care.

What moved you to just randomly attack me like that? Why the immature 'beat that'? I was not in all honesty serious. Forgive me, but you seem to be the dangerously weird person here.

ReputationRep:
    I forgive you.

However..

Respect for what? A monarch, who has been instilled in their throne purely by the murders their ancestors committed, who is no better than any other person, yet receives a lot of money to do very little.
    You clearly have know idea about the ancestory of Queen Liz II. No, the Queen was "instilled" to the throne because of the sudden death of King George, her father. Are you amongst the PC brigade? Human Rights activist? If your going to accuse the Queen of a bloody past, then you may as well destroy humanity, especially Britain, we all contributed to our bloody past not just the Royals. Every country that had a respectable empire has a bloody past, but at least our monarchy insisted we give something back - take a look at the 'Raj' thread- he makes good points. Of course, without the British monarchy's past, you , my man, wouldn't be inhibiting "Australia" - a little gratefulness goes a long way, that man.

The actual woman, "Elizabeth" may not be any "better" than any other "human", but her role is, and to be honest, rather her than me. Besides she's more educated than me, she's been Britains best diplomat and increased our trade overseas when presidents didn't like our PM, and other great things.

She receives a lot of money? Wrong again. The public pay for the upkeep of the Royal palaces, ones we would keep open and pay for whether we had the Royals or not, the Queen owns her private land, and she has her own income, not state funded, so does Charlie, with his private Duchy.

I live in australia, which is a constitutional monarchy also. With the same queen, etc. I don't mind her, but I would prefer the monarchy to end
    Well, overwhelmingly, the general Aussies pefer thier Queen, a minority of 'republicans' dont. How can you tell Britain you want ITS monarchy to end? Maybe if you had the decency to say "I dont want to interfer with British politics, but I wouldnt mind the Commonwealth Crown to end, such as in Aussie". Maybe then respect would be had.

What moved you to just randomly attack me like that? Why the immature 'beat that'? I was not in all honesty serious. Forgive me, but you seem to be the dangerously weird person here.
    Regardless, I state my claim. I am a loyal citizen (nee subject) to my homeland, and that naturally involves the Crown, our crown.

"Envy is evil" - Churchill.

Nope they dont hurt britain in any way, they have no power. There just there to keep the English ideal, so no need for them to go.

ReputationRep:
    Monarchy, in a society actually ruled by them (rather than britain, where there rule is nominal), does solve some problems of leadership, but also creates many others... but this isn't really a debate to be had at this time.

To be honest, i can't see the point of the british monarchy.

ReputationRep:
    I see several. The British Army. The Royal Marines, Royal Navy, Royal Airforce, Royal Ascot...legacy, pride, connection to our imperial past etc.

But, Eru, in a national refurrendum, if it came to it, would you select "Keep", or "End" - ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astor)
    I see several. The British Army. The Royal Marines, Royal Navy, Royal Airforce, Royal Ascot...legacy, pride, connection to our imperial past etc.

But, Eru, in a national refurrendum, if it came to it, would you select "Keep", or "End" - ??
    So calling them the marines, the navy, the airforce, ascot etc. would suddenly mean they were different? I don't think so.

And as soon as someone mentions legacy, the past, tradition etc. as a reason for anything, i immediately get annoyed. It was 'tradition' that women were the property of men a hundred or so years ago. It was 'tradition' that 'witches' should be burnt at the stake 500 to 1000 years ago (i don't know when to be honest, but it doesn't matter).

The pride the british have in there country isn't because of the monarchy, it is because of a collective sense of pride in what we are, as a nation, which is nothing to do with the monarchy IMO.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.