how do you revise? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Allie
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
does anyone know the best way to revise? i just seem to read the page.

you are opened to all suggestions....
ghtrevgy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I read the page, make notes and then test myself on some of the key points of the topic. It helps, but I usually forget everything I've learnt after about 3 hours :rolleyes:
Mr. Fox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sit down and read the relevant books for 7 hours solid. Works a treat, but nearly kills you.
Two Tone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I just do practice papers untill they come out me ears. Then I go through the answers and go over the theory again, and then do more questions on that topic
Meat Loaf Rocks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Depends what subject
Maths for example I just do loads of question, get it mark and learn where i went wrong and start the process again with some different question

Science I just read the text books and my head absorbs it all

skills based exams, ie writing to argue/persuade I dont revise for, no point, you can either do it or you can't
ISAAC-NEWTON
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
right let me tell u this is simply the best way to revise.. the reason i might not do well in ma exams is all due to noit revising fom day 1 you begin youre GCSE's....

the day u learn anything on any subject sometime in the lesson or when u gone hom that day u MUST make a revision post cards for that topic etc yourself.. i mean the ones u can get 4rm partners .. and once theyre made and taht uve covered evrything in class u wont need any revision guide afterwards when only until u get to the final week.. becosue u will have it there in front of u ready made in ure own words so u can understand and if u revisit that cars every few weeks from start of yr10 to end of yr 11 then youre gonna get A*.. this is why im crying and panacing now becosue ive left it till last minute ..

otherwis if uve just began rec\vising lol..then stick 2 ure way keep reading what u find hard and make questions up urself and answer then evry night then it'll stick in ya head

good luck
Two Tone
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by qarishahg)
right let me tell u this is simply the best way to revise.. the reason i might not do well in ma exams is all due to noit revising fom day 1 you begin youre GCSE's....

the day u learn anything on any subject sometime in the lesson or when u gone hom that day u MUST make a revision post cards for that topic etc yourself.. i mean the ones u can get 4rm partners .. and once theyre made and taht uve covered evrything in class u wont need any revision guide afterwards when only until u get to the final week.. becosue u will have it there in front of u ready made in ure own words so u can understand and if u revisit that cars every few weeks from start of yr10 to end of yr 11 then youre gonna get A*.. this is why im crying and panacing now becosue ive left it till last minute ..

otherwis if uve just began rec\vising lol..then stick 2 ure way keep reading what u find hard and make questions up urself and answer then evry night then it'll stick in ya head

good luck

Text speak is not a good idea on this forum, but that a great idea, and what I intend to do for my A-Levels.
ISAAC-NEWTON
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
????

what u mean lol?????
Two Tone
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Using you instead of u, checking your spelling and using full stops, commas etc.
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol - I do something similar...

I do a past paper to start with... I see what questions I really found hard etc.

I then go to my revision guide and/or textbook, and find those topics, and read on it for about 10 minutes. I then go back to the top, and make a topic card, and make bulletpoints of the important stuff (i.e. cutting out all the waffle), and see how much I can recall. Not only does making the topic card reinforce the facts, but they're also helpful on the day of the exam, since they only contain pure info on what you need to know, and can help trigger some information before the exam.

After that labourious process, I redo the paper, and see whether I was more confident in answering the questions etc.

It really works a treat for Geography case studies, Languages: (declining stuff), and for Sciences. Also helped me not fail my Russia section on my History (after spending about 3 hours making cards on it!).

Use as many colours, funny phrases or pnemonics on the topic cards, so that its easier, and more fun to absorb the info you need.

Have fun! :p:
October Project
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It depends on what subject I'm revising, really. Which subjects are you taking? If you let me know, I'll try and describe the ways in which I revise for them, if I take them as well. In the meantime...

English A lot of people say you can't revise for this; either you can do it or you can't. Personally, I find it easy and get good grades in it without any bother, but I still revise a bit for it. My advice would be to make sure you know how to spell all the techniques such as onomatopoeia, personification etc, and how to spot them. I don't know what exam board you're on, but on CCEA, we have to write a discursive essay. For that, I make sure I have the structure in my head: Introduction of the topic, and my opinon. Then each point argued along with an opposing view, and then a conclusion which states that I have looked at both sides of the argument.

Maths Past papers are the best for this subject, I think. A few 3 or 4 mark questions in my mocks came up again in the real thing, so make sure you know how to do everything, no matter how small it is, that's appeared in past papers. Learn equations and simple rules, such as how to find the area of shapes or the angles of a triangle. Get a revision guide and do as many questions as you can, concentrating on those you find difficult.

Science I first of all make sure I understand the section I'm revising by reading it over and over and then trying to explain it out loud, as if I'm explaining it to someone else. I then make notes of the most important elements of the topic and read it through, before reciting it back to myself until I know it.
IZZY!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i just read couple of times and thats it. But Maths is an exception. I learn formulas and practice exam questions. I cant be bothered to make notes and then read out loud. It takes time.lol.
xlouisedoll
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've made revision cards which I use..posters, brainstorms, that kind of stuff. I find that re-writing the information makes it sink into my head. I also just read revision guides, and I've bought a CD for Physics which I play just before I go to sleep.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads