Cluny - Newcastle - 1st August 2005
    Bar Academy - Birmingham - 14th August 2005
    Zodiac - Oxford - 18th August 2005
    Chinnerys - Southend - 23rd August 2005
    Soul Tree - Cambridge 25th August 2005

more dates tba

as always free legal mp3's here

http://www.ilovethesheriff.com/arcticmonkeys.html

actually while i'm here i might as well ***** this band as much as is physicaly possible by posting some reviews.

NME live review
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e3sa934/bd1.jpg

(Original post by The daily star [s)
    confused[/s]]As Coldplay cement their position as Britains biggest band with a low key gig in Camden, across town four teenagers from Sheffield play only their second London date.
    But they are laying the foundations that could see them eclipse their posh rivals.
    Singer Alex, guitarist Jamie, bassist Andy and drummer Matt, all aged 19, are greeted like returning heroes by a frenzied audience.
    It is, frankly, an extraordinary sight. But whay all the fuss?
    Simple. They're the most exciting thing to happen to British music in aeons.
    Equal parts The Libertines, The Streets, Ian Dury, John Lennon, Paul Weller, Prince and Kylie Minogue, (??????)
    with the wit, style, humour, passion and pananche to back up all the hype - these lads will go supernova.
    If Martin isn't trembling yet, he soon will be. Arctic Monkeys are coming and it's time to go ape.
    (Original post by ic wales)
    Barfly, Cardiff

I was once told that Free Beer would be the best name for a band because you could advertise it as Free Beer at the Barfly and everyone would come. But really it's a rubbish name, and not just because of the riot it would start when people came along and found out the truth.

Arctic Monkeys is another rubbish name. Normally, I'd expect a band called that to be atrocious. From tonight's performance though, the gulf between expectation and reality was as vast as it would be (though for totally different reasons) at a "Free Beer" night.

It's worth putting aside how a band of such confidence and quality could have saddled themselves with such a bad name, and concentrating on the band, themselves.

They certainly are confident, for they arrive on stage in front of a throng of baying indie kids to the strains of Dr Dre's 'Still Dre', not a usual indie disco favourite but indicative of the all-embracing nature of their music.

The Monkeys have been touted as a new Libertines, and the fervour they incite approximates the dangerous chaos of a Libs gig (at one point a stern lady threatens to close the place if the crowd don't settle down). But the songs are more robust and muscular, and the musicianship much tighter than Doherty and co's jangly ramshackle confections.

Songs like (I Bet You) Look Good on the Dancefloor" and Fake Tales of San Francisco have springy riffs and driving basslines, but have moments of ska and funk welded on giving the requisite light and shade to keep everything interesting and fun. And it all sounds incredibly natural and uncontrived as it becomes obvious that the Arctic Monkeys are great songsmiths with a knack with a tune.

As usual in the Barfly, it's difficult to see their performance but for once it doesn't seem to matter. They're not much to look at and are dressed in clothes that could have been designed by the Ordinary Boys.

It's great, then, that tonight the music is strong enough to survive on it's own, with the band's character coming across in the Small Faces-like vocals of lead singer Alex Turner , and his wry tales of small town British life, rather than any contrived image.

For once, it's nice to see a band get by on it's music rather than some natty threads and a trendy haircut. I reckon they'll even make it with that daft name.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0900entertainment/0050artsnews/tm_objectid=15624868&method=full &siteid=50082&headline=review--arctic-monkeys-name_page.html
    Arctic Monkeys, The Little Flames @ Jabez Clegg

Richard Cheetham

SPECIAL ACT: Arctic Monkeys

09/06/05

MOST bands have to wait until their album is released before selling out 400 capacity venues. But, Arctic Monkey’s rise defies the norm.

The frenzied energy of the audience is unbelievable and you’d be forgiven for thinking that Pete Doherty was playing an impromptu set.

This hysterical atmosphere means that support act The Little Flames are never going to be anything other than second fiddle. The
    band’s set is toned down, stripped of the feedback indulges and sonic noise, and replaced by 30 minutes of pop-rock.

This isn’t to the band’s strengths, as lead singer Eva’s sinister pose usually seems icy and cold, but tonight she seems confused and perplexed.

This feeling is reciprocated through the rest of the band, as the deadpan reaction to the band’s set is understandable, but harsh.

In sharp contrast, Arctic Monkeys enter the stage to the sounds of Snoop Dogg and rapturous applause.

How the industry heartbreakers, who, if the rumours are true, have just signed to Domino, command this much attention and contain so much self-belief at their tender age is remarkable.

And, it comes as no surprise that they have the tunes to back up their enormous reputation.

‘I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor’ is a Streets meets Libertines tale of urban poetry, layered on top of a crushing rhythm section and angular guitar assault. Sell-out single ‘Fake Tales of San Francisco’ is breathed an extra dimension compared to how it sounds on CD.

Hardly surprising given that 100 kids are singing and dancing in tandem.

It’s a great thing for new music and young musicians that a band like Arctic Monkeys can offer hope in the face of an industry
    dominated by image and manufactured ideas.

Whilst comparisons to other bands are prominent they have their own style and sound, which, unsigned or not, makes them a special act.
    http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertainment/music/livereviews/s/162/162018_arctic_monkeys_the_little _flames__jabez_clegg.html

review from america

http://www.comfortcomes.com/reviews/...c_monkeys.html

thats all.

ReputationRep:
    hopefully there'll be a London date...otherwise a trip to Oxford might be required...

(they were awesome at Jabez Clegg btw)

ReputationRep:
    I can't order tickets until later in the week - and Leadmill has sold out already :eek: I think - if they are still there - I'll see them in Birmingham. They are amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ksb09)
    I can't order tickets until later in the week - and Leadmill has sold out already :eek: I think - if they are still there - I'll see them in Birmingham. They are amazing!!
    yeah the leadmill sold out last week, i posted that they were playing there a few weeks ago.

have you seen the price of tickets on ebay, madness. 2 going for £50 at the moment.

i'm guessing mid july these tickets will be like gold dust.

infact if i sold my tickets and AM records on ebay i could make £100 easy. :eek: - stop it... don't think that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    yeah the leadmill sold out last week, i posted that they were playing there a few weeks ago.

have you seen the price of tickets on ebay, madness. 2 going for £50 at the moment.

i'm guessing mid july these tickets will be like gold dust.

infact if i sold my tickets and AM records on ebay i could make £100 easy. :eek: - stop it... don't think that way
    any other band, my records would be straight on ebay...but I just can't do it to the monkeys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    any other band, my records would be straight on ebay...but I just can't do it to the monkeys!
    its a long term investment at the very least.

what a waster is worth about £100 and there were 2000 of them, so. 500 arctic monkeys 7" - hmmm, promising.

but i could never bring myself to sell them.

ReputationRep:
    i do have 2 each of both the 7' and the CD, but that was just me being panicy and ordering it from loads of places...so i could sell one of each and still have one of each format for myself...

but no!

ReputationRep:
    Woo! got a ticket to see them in Oxford...

if they announce a London date, i'll go to that too!

EDIT:they've been upgraded to Academy 2 in Birmingham! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    You're not from New York, you're from...Rotherham

Genius

ReputationRep:
    they have loads of smart lines like that in all their songs...

"There's only music so that there's new ringtones" is a favourite of mine!

ReputationRep:
    Just ordered my tickets for Birmingham, I can't wait! Though I hope public transport isn't a pain - it being a Sunday 'an all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al of arctic monkey's fame)
    Yeah but his bird thinks it's amazing, though
    So all that's left
    Is the proof that love's not only blind but deaf
    thats a cracker.
    and
    (Original post by Al of arctic monkeys fame)
    He might be one of those boys
    That's all pretty and vain
    Likes to go in the sunbed
    And stays out of the rain
    So that he don't get his hair wet
    You wouldn't want that
    At least he hasn't got a Nova
    Or a Burberry hat
    actually every song has brilliant lyrics

ReputationRep:
    "Just 'cause he's had a couple'a cans, he thinks it's allright to act like a ********"

A Certain Romance is the best for the one-liners IMO...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    hopefully there'll be a London date...otherwise a trip to Oxford might be required...

(they were awesome at Jabez Clegg btw)
    Same though they're playing at leeds anyway

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to persuade some friends to go to Oxford with me but no success so far

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if they'll be plying in london??

ReputationRep:
    doubt it now...

which is why I'm going to see them in Oxford...s'not too far away, and will only cost about a fiver to get the Oxford tube there and back...well worth it for the Monkeys!

ReputationRep:
    Full tour:

July

Wed 27 York Fibbers
    Thu 28 Middlesbrough Arena

Sat 30 Glasgow King Tuts
    Sun 31 Sheffield Leadmill

August

Mon 1 Newcastle The Cluny

Sat 13 Hull Silhouette
    Sun 14 Birmingham Bar Academy

Tue 16 Northampton Soundhaus
    Wed 17 TBC (will let you know on this date asap)
    Thu 18 Oxford Zodiac

Tue 23 Southend Chinnerys
    Wed 24 Brighton Komedia Downstairs
    Thu 25 Cambridge The Soul Tree

Sat 27 Reading Carling Festival
    Sun 28 Leeds Carling Festival

the TBC one could be a london date I guess...

ReputationRep:
    The TBC one is Exeter...so no london date...or Manchester or Liverpool date for that matter...

all the Londoners have no excuse though, Northampton, Southend, Oxford, Cambridge...

travelling to gigs shows dedication and hardcore-ness...

ReputationRep:
    didnt realise they were going to be at reading.......i guess i'll see them there!!!

But i think im definately going to try to get tickets to the oxford gig.....r they expensive??

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.