The Student Room Group

Worthless HND

Recently I completed my HND in software engineering from Farnborough College of Technology which is validated by the University of Surrey. But after being to few open days I have realised that my HND is really worth nothing. I went to University of Surrey and asked if they would allow me for direct entry into year two in a computer science degree and they said that doesn't happen often. I can't believe that they validate the course and even they don't recognise the value of the course itself. By the way I had a distinction and did really work hard but just feels like it was all a waste of time and money.

I went to University of Reading and the course tutor wouldn't even recognise my HND. All he said was a no no not negotiable in answer and didn't even bother to spend a minute with me.

The job market is a far cry with my HND and I feel scammed by one of the top Universities in UK. This is just pure hypocrisy....

Just needed to share this..... Thank you
Apply to a diffferent univs
I'm sure you'll be able to find a job with the skills learnt on your HND. If you've learnt programming etc, you should be able to find something. Don't give up.

If you want to transfer onto a degree course, look at more unis (esp ones that offer a similar HND and pathway onto a degree). Talk to the head of the relevant department and explain what you can offer, what you've learnt.
If it wont fast track you to second year it should still be ample for entry into first year shouldnt it? I know thats not exactly what you signed up for, but its better than nothing surely?
Reply 4
Thank guys for the replies, I have been trying my best but things have just ended up in pure frustration for me.

I have tried the job market and I have taken quite a beating with the recession and all I just don't feel there is much I can do. This is the reason I wanted to get into a University whose degree actually would put me in a better place to get employed and therefore I was targeting the Universities in the top half of the university league table.

But all I have ended up with is huge no's from whichever university I think I would love to study in. I thought I might end up somewhere after doing my HND but seems like I can't even get into further studies in the universities I would want to study in. And it's not as if I am targeting Oxford, Cambridge and all the other huge names.
Universities want 3 years worth of money from students they admit. It's no suprise that they won't consider your HND.
Reply 6
yea, im doing my HND and its my last year, in doing it in london met uni and after i finish i would if i like go into 2nd year of any subject related to what i studied or apply to study elsewhere. i have applied to glasgow university to do economics and they accept my HND but the only problem is i have to start from 1st year and its a 4 year course, o well ! try other universities, ive emailed most top 30 unis and they all accept HND(apart from uni of manchester) but their entry requirements were very high, even Oxford university accepted it if it was all distinction.
Reply 7
I just completed a HND in Architecture and they only allowed me onto the first year of the architecture degree.. I changed degrees and now on the 2nd year of a dgeree.. but am finding it too difficult
Reply 8
Why not go into the first year?
Hi my name is Chris and I'm doing a HND in Computing and Systems Development. I'm in my second (and last) year. I have done 3 university visits (Bradford, Chester & Salford) and none will allow me to do a one or two year top up.
I don't consider the qualification worthless... no education ever is, but i do feel duped!
Reply 10
Employers for software engineering like to see projects rather than just qualifications.

Have you set up a github and added projects to it?

Alternatively have you considered credit transfer to the Open University? I'm sure if you chose to do a Open Degree you could transfer all of the credits and then start on year 2 of the open degree picking all computer science units.

What is more this area of study really suits online study.

Latest