Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    had one since I was 15. Wouldn't be without it now- people can contact me easily etc.

Also I tend to use mine instead of the landline at my uni house (probably because my folks pay the bill for my mobile...)

ReputationRep:
    I have one, but when I'm near the computer I don't bother with my mobile because of msn. I forget to turn it on sometimes...! :-D

ReputationRep:
    I don't have one. I hate the things. I find it ironic that those who use them most tend to be the people with the least to say. Indeed, mobile phones an impediment to anything but the most superficial communication.

ReputationRep:
    I've got one.....the bill is far to high for my parents liking! I can't help that I m addicted to txtin!

ReputationRep:
    I have 1, a Nokia 3510i, and I rarely use it. When I got it for Christmas, I was also given a £20 voucher to add onto it, and I still haven't used it ( I got it in 2003 I think). I'll use it to let people know I'll be late, etc. etc., but I don't randomly text :angel:. I use my Palantir for that...

-Saruman

ReputationRep:
    I've had one for about 4 years now, since I was 14. Would hate to think of the amount of money I have wasted on pointless texts.

ReputationRep:
    i've got one but i mostly use it for emergencies, such as can i be picked up, where, when, but i use it for social use as well such as organising nights out and stuff, it is pretty essential

ReputationRep:
    I only got mine last year when I started college. Didnt really ask for it but got it really cheaply as part of a contract renewal on my brother's phone. Barely use it though, occasional text and phone call a couple of times a week, that's it. Mainly to call back home to get picked up or tell em where I'm going etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't own one because I think they're a waste of time and money.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have 3 phones about 5 months ago, A SE S700i, a Nokia 6220, Nokia 6820. Now I have none, why bother when you don't go out .! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriotcow)
    I used to have 3 phones about 5 months ago, A SE S700i, a Nokia 6220, Nokia 6820. Now I have none, why bother when you don't go out .! :eek:
    so true.

ReputationRep:
    I have a couple phones in my room. One is just an old one though.
    My other is on contract and is useful when out and need to tell people where I will be etc. over protective mother. I never use the house phone (so I don't have to pay the bill) so having a mobile is useful. Usually cheaper...I get free calls and I don't call house phones.

ReputationRep:
    pretty much everyone i know has one. it's just so useful, altho we do use email because we all have laptops or computers in our room and it's free and easier, and you can write more.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone I know has one. This includes my dad who is a complete technophobe. But he didn't ask for it. I don't have one but I realise that it would be useful at times. All this stuff about contracts and pay as you go means nothing to me. Haven't got a clue. I'll probably get one when I go to uni though.

I see people texting each other and they do it as fluently as I'm typing on this keyboard. And most people I know can text without even looking at the thing hehe. I once tried to write "Ben is a big fat gaylord" or something . Took about 2 minutes :eek: . I could've solved the Rubik's cube twice with time to spare.

One thing that really annoys me about some users is their insistence on having it on at the most inappropriate times. Like in an exam, or in the cinema or something. They know that (unless it's on silent) if they get a call then it'll make a noise and they don't want that to happen or they get their exam cancelled or piss people off or something. But they still leave it on for fear of missing a call!! :eek:
    Thankfully most people aren't like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redwolf_Eddy)
    I reckon I could possibly be the only 16 year old in the UK without a mobile phone, all you older people have excuses, we can just say you're out of touch with modern techonology (despite being able to operate on an internet forum?!). However I've just never been that bothered about getting one, if I really needed to make a call I'd borrow one off of a mate. Otherwise I can just see it eating up my cash as I felt compelled by peer pressure to text (ugh) everyone about pretty much anything.

Who else doesn't have one?
    Don't worry. I'm the same.

Or rather, I do actually have a mobile phone, but the credit on it ran out about three months ago and it's been utterly uselessly sitting on my bedside table ever since.

I should really pay for some more, but, meh, i can't be bothered. library books, phone, assignments... what am I going to do when I have to pay bills?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I could possibly be the only 16 year old in the UK without a mobile phone, all you older people have excuses, we can just say you're out of touch with modern techonology (despite being able to operate on an internet forum?!). However I've just never been that bothered about getting one, if I really needed to make a call I'd borrow one off of a mate. Otherwise I can just see it eating up my cash as I felt compelled by peer pressure to text (ugh) everyone about pretty much anything.

Dude i credit you there! there are many good reasons for not having a mobile phone, and i think its a good choice youve less hassle, save alot of money and at the same time keeps you healthy! But i'd suggest that you get one by the age of 20, you'll deffinately need it then, but for now i think its good what your doing!

ReputationRep:
    I got a nice new one for my birthday - but then my sister liked it and now she won't give it back...

ReputationRep:
    I dont have one, it annoys me how everyone acts like they cant live without one. Sad people.

ReputationRep:

You are a dream to every parent

ReputationRep:
    I do not have one
    I hate it when anybody can call you any time
    specially when I am out of the mood
    and I hate the "I called you, but your phone was closed"
    besides, I do not really need
    so, I decided just not having one

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.